Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, reading the vaccination thread I can see a lot of us have had one or two shots. I had my first one this week. So I thought it might be worth talking about how you plan to handle things particularly during the next few months when most people will not be vaccinated.

My understanding is that fully vaccinated are told to continue to mask and socially distance even after vaccination. I've read two reasons for this:

1. Even if you don't become sick yourself, they do not yet know if the vaccine prevents transmission. It is possible (but not certain) that you might be able to pass on COVID even if you don't become sick. So you mask and distance in order to protect others.

2. There is a chance you could become sick yourself. The biggest risk is the South African variant. It seems that the Moderna vaccine (and I think Pfizer but not sure) is about 50% effective against it so while this variant is currently relatively rare in the US (although present) you could run into it. There is also a possibility that other variants may turn up. Moderna is working on a booster shot to be effective against the South African variant. But I would guess that is several months away. And, of course, the vaccines are not 100% effective. Moderna and Pfizer are about 95% but do seem to -- so far - entirely prevent serious disease.

For me I think I put situations in 3 categories:

1. Being around people for relatively short periods of time for things like shopping or other non-social activities. For these I think I would be entirely comfortable doing them but would mask and distance for the benefit of others. So I might go into a store to look for something that I needed. We want to have a TV mounted on the wall but have held off not wanting people in the house. I think that after I am 2 weeks past my second shot I would be comfortable with these kinds of things. But -- while virus levels are so high in the community I still won't go to indoor restaurants or social events.

2. Being around people who are also fully vaccinated. I mentioned my friend above. Everyone living in her house has had their first shot. Once we are all fully vaccinated, I would feel comfortable for us to have weekly visits in her house without any masking or distancing.

3. Being in close contact with family who is not vaccinated. This is more difficult. I haven't seen my daughter in a year. I haven't seen my son since he moved out 5 months ago. They both work in a retail environment. They were masks and are careful. My son told me that once DH and I are vaccinated he would feel comfortable coming to visit us. He knows DH and I don't go out hardly at all and he feels we are extremely unlikely to pass COVID to him. Right now his worry has been him passing it to us. So he would take the risk of us potentially passing it on to him. Still, I think DH and I would still mask around him at least for the next few months until the virus levels are down.

Also wondering about vaccinated people being carriers, but I guess there is still many unknowns that will continue to be unknown for some time. DW and I are due to get our second shots in a few weeks, but definitely worried that we could become carriers and pass it to our family/friends.

For me I think I put situations in 3 categories:

1. Being around people for relatively short periods of time for things like shopping or other non-social activities. For these I think I would be entirely comfortable doing them but would mask and distance for the benefit of others. So I might go into a store to look for something that I needed. We want to have a TV mounted on the wall but have held off not wanting people in the house. I think that after I am 2 weeks past my second shot I would be comfortable with these kinds of things. But -- while virus levels are so high in the community I still won't go to indoor restaurants or social events.

2. Being around people who are also fully vaccinated. I mentioned my friend above. Everyone living in her house has had their first shot. Once we are all fully vaccinated, I would feel comfortable for us to have weekly visits in her house without any masking or distancing.

3. Being in close contact with family who is not vaccinated. This is more difficult. I haven't seen my daughter in a year. I haven't seen my son since he moved out 5 months ago. They both work in a retail environment. They were masks and are careful. My son told me that once DH and I are vaccinated he would feel comfortable coming to visit us. He knows DH and I don't go out hardly at all and he feels we are extremely unlikely to pass COVID to him. Right now his worry has been him passing it to us. So he would take the risk of us potentially passing it on to him. Still, I think DH and I would still mask around him at least for the next few months until the virus levels are down.
Yes - if I had your situation I’d pretty much do your 3 things.

In our case - DH will be vaccinated, I won’t until maybe around June. So we’re continuing our precautions.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this question. DH and I had our first shot of Moderna a few weeks ago and are scheduled for the second shot 2/11. We have been extremely careful because we are 69 and 70 and DH has an autoimmune disease. Since last March we have not been inside any stores and no restaurants except take out and have only seen friends/family outside with mask and social distancing. We will probably loosen up a little 2 weeks after the second shot but we will definitely wear a mask--maybe go inside a grocery if needed, visit my mother (who has also had 2 shots), maybe visit friends who have had 2 shots. This could all change if one of the variants becomes widespread and it is decided that the current vaccines are not very effective.

My understanding is that the vaccine does not prevent you from getting COVID, it protects you from getting serious, possible deathly ill from the virus if you get it. You can be an asymptomatic carrier and pass it to others.

It is still a very good recommendation to wear masks(or double mask), socially distance, and continue good hand hygiene.

Remember, this is still a new virus, approximately a year+, and we are still learning about it, along with how the vaccine will work now and in the future.

So, of you who have had the shots, what kind of aftereffects have any of you noticed, if some noticed any aftereffects at all?

Nothing more than a sore arm at the injection site, lasting 3-4 days (Moderna, 1st shot).

Mod Note: This thread is about behavior after the vaccine, not the vaccine itself or its side affects. Let’s keep this thread on track please.

So, of you who have had the shots, what kind of aftereffects have any of you noticed, if some noticed any aftereffects at all?

Pfizer, #1--mild headache 2 days, but felt bone chilling cold in my legs for 3-4 days--no fever. The only thing that helped was hot showers or wrapped up in blankets. My legs ached from the knees down and my feet were freezing all the time! Weird.
Hopefully #2 is no worse, but if it is, I'll deal with it. Just thankful I was able to get it.

So, sorry if I seemed to be taking this thread off track. My apologies.

I guess I interpreted the thread title "Post Vaccination Behavior" to include how one's body behaved (i.e. reacted) after getting the vaccine.

My bad for broadly reading the thread title and taking this thread off topic.

I will be much more cautious in the future. My bad.

Many sincere apologies.

Actually, I didn't notice that about the other thread. Now that you mention it, that makes at least two of us who are confused.

But, I abjectly apologize (for myself anyway) if my extensive and growing confusion is unwarranted. But again, my bad. I'll try not to let it happen again.

If I had both shots I would probably open up a bit, and on a warmer day get coffee or a beer outside with a friend. If we were both vaccinated and there was indoor socially distance seating, I might sit indoors. But, not too often, yet. Also, I might be tempted to go to the grocery store a bit more often. I'll definitely increase my hair cut frequency.

My status would be yellow alert - shields up at low power, be ready to charge the phasers and arm the photon torpedoes, just in case those rascally Covidians sneak up using one of their new variant cloaked ships. I would stay well away from the Neutral Zone. No point going looking for trouble.

Last edited:
Got our first Pfizer shot Jan 20th, scheduled for 2nd on Feb 10. We plan to continue doing the same precautions with only one exception -- short visit to our grandkids, in their homes, and give LONG hugs. We will be wearing masks. I have some confidence in the vaccine, but I think it is foolhardy to presume one becomes impervious to the virus.
So I see little change in our behavior. Like so many others, we hope more and more of our population gets vaccinated so maybe we can take a vacation in several months.

Last edited:
There is a lot of emerging information coming out in the last few weeks concerning the many variants that imply we should basically be doing what we've had to do over these last 10 months for the foreseeable future, even after vaccine. This is going to take a while.

By the time I get vaccinated it will be when most everyone can get it, but in the meantime, for those who are in this early, distinct minority group, I can understand carefully increasing risk and expanding contact with family.

My parents (75) were actually more cautious in the first two weeks following shot #1, like why take any risk and screw it up now. (they are super careful doing weekly senior-hour shopping only, and limiting contact to brief outdoor visits with any family).

Pretty sure they will be comfortable spending more time with us once they get two-weeks past shot #2. But they won't be travelling or doing anything much else for the rest of the year, until things really calm down.

After I had the first shot I started feeling emotionally better--a little more optimistic and hopeful and less stressful. I am just realizing how stressed I have been about Covid. I have been having nightmares and clenching my teeth at night. But I seem to be doing better since the first vaccination.

My parents (75) were actually more cautious in the first two weeks following shot #1, like why take any risk and screw it up now.

Had to laugh when I read this as that's exactly where DW and I are right now. We got shot #1 eight days ago and both immediately became more cautious.

Once I have both shots, I am hoping the stats in general will be allowing restaurants to be opened up for indoor dining (currently not allowed in Oregon).

At that point I am so looking forward to having some nice meals out. I am getting tired of McDonald's drive-thru lane! And I have had enough McChicken sandwiches to last me for a few years.

At that point I am so looking forward to having some nice meals out. I am getting tired of McDonald's drive-thru lane! And I have had enough McChicken sandwiches to last me for a few years.

I hadn't had a McChicken sandwich in ages. Somebody told me they were 2 for $2 so I tried a couple the other day. Not that bad :)

Don't any of the better restaurants in your area offer pick up ?
I'm almost certain they do where I live.

Don't any of the better restaurants in your area offer pick up ?
I'm almost certain they do where I live.

Yes, they do offer pickup. Not the same as sit down dining with service! Also, I live 1/2 hour out of town, so by the time I get the food back home where I can eat it, I feel I need to nuke it to get the food hot again.

That said, I have done Applebee's pickup a couple times and enjoyed the meals at home. They have their take out packaging refined real well. Also, I do their two for $22 deal, where you get two entrees with sides, and also an appetizer all for $22, so end up getting essentially 5 meals for $22. One of the entrees I order is a Grilled Oriental Chicken salad, so no problems with that being a cold meal anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom