Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got these comments (bold) in an email from Framers a day or so ago.

Farmers® is reducing auto insurance premium by 25% for the month of April on Farmers branded and 21st Century® branded policies. As the situation progresses, we will determine if further action is required.

In my case that should be worth about $25
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

It did cross my mind that it would be a great time to get rated on one of those plug in trackers that analyze your driving behavior. I think some of them are left in place all the time just like the Buy Here Pay Here auto dealers.

We have more cars than drivers and our current insurance company informed us they no longer offer low mile discounts. They use the tracker instead which they said to leave in place for 6 months but they suspended the tracking after 3 months.

There are also some companies including Allstate that offer pay per mile insurance so they should automatically off some relief.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

From Safeco:Personal Auto Customer Relief Refund
Fewer drivers are on the road, which means fewer accidents. With this in mind, we are announcing our Personal Auto Customer Relief Refund, which will return approximately $250 million to our customers. Here’s how it works:
Bulleted Icon
Personal auto insurance customers will receive a 15% refund on two months of their auto premium, based on your premium amount as of April 7, 2020.1
Bulleted Icon
We are planning to issue the refund in the manner you made your most recent payment or by check.
Bulleted Icon
We will begin issuing refunds in the coming weeks, after we have approval from state insurance regulators.
Bulleted Icon
Your refund will happen automatically, and you do not need to call us to get your refund.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
From Safeco:Personal Auto Customer Relief Refund
Fewer drivers are on the road, which means fewer accidents. With this in mind, we are announcing our Personal Auto Customer Relief Refund, which will return approximately $250 million to our customers. Here’s how it works:
Bulleted Icon
Personal auto insurance customers will receive a 15% refund on two months of their auto premium, based on your premium amount as of April 7, 2020.1
Bulleted Icon
We are planning to issue the refund in the manner you made your most recent payment or by check.
Bulleted Icon
We will begin issuing refunds in the coming weeks, after we have approval from state insurance regulators.
Bulleted Icon
Your refund will happen automatically, and you do not need to call us to get your refund.
The Liberty Mutual refund program and announcement is the same word for word.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I received a letter from Travelers last week. Their Stay At Home Auto Premium Credit Program is a 15% credit for April and May premiums. Since I pay for the full year, I am to receive a check.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
Here you go -

https://newsroom.statefarm.com/covid-19/

"In an effort to help customers during these challenging times, State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, the nation’s largest auto insurer, is announcing up to a $2 billion dividend that will go to its auto insurance customers. With schools and businesses closed, and many of us sheltering in our homes, people are driving less right now, so we’re returning value to customers as we anticipate fewer auto claims.

"
Thanks!

Hopefully, the $2 billion will show up in my account soon.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
On USAA's home page right now:

"USAA to return $520 million to members.
At USAA, serving the military community is our mission. That’s more important now than ever as our members deal with the COVID-19 pandemic. USAA is returning $520 million to members with auto policies. Learn more about this action, special programs, tools and other steps we’re taking to help members during these uncertain times."

From the link it further states:

"Every member with an auto insurance policy in effect as of March 31, 2020, will receive a 20% credit on two months of premiums in the coming weeks. All told, we're returning about $520 million. You will not need to call or take any other action."
[emoji106]
Old 04-14-2020, 06:26 AM   #48

anyone heard from west bend insurance? with my luck probably not.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:46 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
anyone heard from west bend insurance? with my luck probably not.
Here you go.

https://www.thesilverlining.com/

Don't spend your $50 all in one place!
Old 04-14-2020, 07:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Here you go.

https://www.thesilverlining.com/

Don't spend your $50 all in one place!
thanks for the info. couldn't find it.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:47 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I got my $100 check(for two cars) from my car insurance company yesterday. That amounts to a little less than a 20% reduced bill for the year. I'll take what I can get.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

A friend on FB just posted this article. California is pretty much requiring companies to issue refunds.

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavi...RU9gKL-Q_aDSRU
Old 04-14-2020, 11:57 PM   #53

After California’s insurance commissioners ordered auto insurance companies to issue refunds, I finally heard news that AAA plans to refund 20% of auto premiums for all of its policyholders. Checks are expected to go out by the end of May.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

What I find a bit annoying is that I don’t drive a lot regardless of “stay home” orders. Too bad I can’t the discount all the time and not just for two months.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:24 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
After California’s insurance commissioners ordered auto insurance companies to issue refunds, I finally heard news that AAA plans to refund 20% of auto premiums for all of its policyholders. Checks are expected to go out by the end of May.
The email I got say it's 20% just for the months of March and April so for me it's less than $50.

"...In recognition of your decreased driving, you will be receiving a 20% refund for two months of auto premiums, March and April 2020.* Your policy must be active as of April 30, 2020 to receive the refund. We will begin applying refunds in mid-May..."
Rebate: Travelers Auto
Old 04-18-2020, 03:39 AM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

Rebate: Travelers Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Just got email from travellers. Cutting premiums 15 pct for April and May.
We insure 4 cars. We have 5 months remaining on our annual policy. Our premium rebate was $6.00. Seriously..

It likely cost them more than $6 to process the paperwork.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:51 AM   #57

Just got my USAA bill for next month & the discount isn't there
Old 04-18-2020, 03:58 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Same here for Liberty Mutual.
I think the state has to approve of the discounts first, then it will be applied.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
My tickler file says to expect the USAA refund by 4/30. I think their original language said "a few weeks" and usually I mentally translate that to 3 weeks.

Also, I think USAA will probably process it as a separate refund and issue you a check or an ACH deposit into your bank account, rather than a line item on everyone's bill.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by msanniee View Post
What I find a bit annoying is that I don’t drive a lot regardless of “stay home” orders. Too bad I can’t the discount all the time and not just for two months.
What kind of annual mileage do you have on your policy? That's usually a big factor in the cost. I think the typical average is 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year, or at least it is for my insurer. I typically put around 20K miles a year on my car, but I put down less this year and they asked me to double check it. But then they lowered my premium, so you might want to look and see what your number is.

Tags
auto insurance