Reduced auto insurance premiums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my $100 check(for two cars) from my car insurance company yesterday. That amounts to a little less than a 20% reduced bill for the year. I'll take what I can get.

After California’s insurance commissioners ordered auto insurance companies to issue refunds, I finally heard news that AAA plans to refund 20% of auto premiums for all of its policyholders. Checks are expected to go out by the end of May.

What I find a bit annoying is that I don’t drive a lot regardless of “stay home” orders. Too bad I can’t the discount all the time and not just for two months.

After California’s insurance commissioners ordered auto insurance companies to issue refunds, I finally heard news that AAA plans to refund 20% of auto premiums for all of its policyholders. Checks are expected to go out by the end of May.

The email I got say it's 20% just for the months of March and April so for me it's less than $50.

"...In recognition of your decreased driving, you will be receiving a 20% refund for two months of auto premiums, March and April 2020.* Your policy must be active as of April 30, 2020 to receive the refund. We will begin applying refunds in mid-May..."

Rebate: Travelers Auto

Just got email from travellers. Cutting premiums 15 pct for April and May.

We insure 4 cars. We have 5 months remaining on our annual policy. Our premium rebate was $6.00. Seriously..

It likely cost them more than $6 to process the paperwork.

Just got my USAA bill for next month & the discount isn't there

Same here for Liberty Mutual.
I think the state has to approve of the discounts first, then it will be applied.

Just got my USAA bill for next month & the discount isn't there

My tickler file says to expect the USAA refund by 4/30. I think their original language said "a few weeks" and usually I mentally translate that to 3 weeks.

Also, I think USAA will probably process it as a separate refund and issue you a check or an ACH deposit into your bank account, rather than a line item on everyone's bill.

What I find a bit annoying is that I don’t drive a lot regardless of “stay home” orders. Too bad I can’t the discount all the time and not just for two months.

What kind of annual mileage do you have on your policy? That's usually a big factor in the cost. I think the typical average is 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year, or at least it is for my insurer. I typically put around 20K miles a year on my car, but I put down less this year and they asked me to double check it. But then they lowered my premium, so you might want to look and see what your number is.

My tickler file says to expect the USAA refund by 4/30. I think their original language said "a few weeks" and usually I mentally translate that to 3 weeks.

Also, I think USAA will probably process it as a separate refund and issue you a check or an ACH deposit into your bank account, rather than a line item on everyone's bill.
That makes sense but it wasn't how I read it. It will mean more to DS, DD, and DGS than me as I'm already FIREd

State Farm will credit 20% for two months starting with June bills.

I just got my State Farm bill due in June, and there is no credit indicated on the invoice. Instead there is a 2.8% increase, which is, compared to the usual 5-7% increase, not bad.

But no credit or discount at all. I'll call my agent this week to ask about it.

My credit to a future renewal was about $32.

That was not enough to keep me from changing to a new company that is much better rated for customer service. Last year's loss was an eye opener for me in terms of how little my business mattered to them (7+ years of premiums and I have never cost them a cent in claims payout).

For example - My damaged car spent 10 days in a storage lot because of some misunderstanding that was settled in less than 5 minutes after I got involved and offered to talk to the guy who ran the lot. But first I had to call my agent and let them know in uncertain terms how unhappy I was with the poor service, then talk to another guy in the claims department, and then talk to the guy who ran the storage lot. Meanwhile my 24 days of rental car coverage was almost half used up just waiting and waiting and waiting while not much happened. Not so good.

Last edited:
I still haven't got my refund (~$25,,,, big deal) but I did get a new email updating me when to expect it. They said the refund would be sent to me by May 22 or credited to my account about then. (They didn't know which way I'd get the refund yet) :facepalm:

Never thought I'd say it, but the US Government sends out refunds and various other payments faster than Farmers Ins.

Last edited:
I got a 50 dollar check from west bend yesterday. I also got a 115 dollar check from them 2 months ago for going a year without a claim. I changed to west bend from state farm and the prices for the same coverage were comparable, but saved some on the no accident yearly rebate.

Amica discounted charges for April and May. I believe it was 20%.

USAA gave another discount. I originally got $9.96 or something, and they're giving me another $5 or so next month. Woot.

USAA gave another discount. I originally got $9.96 or something, and they're giving me another $5 or so next month. Woot.

Yeah I think USAA is the first one to give multiple discounts, but their discounts are lower than most others.

Yeah I think USAA is the first one to give multiple discounts, but their discounts are lower than most others.

Maybe, but I'm pleased with mine.
Adding together last month's rebate with this one, they total just over 5.5% of my annual premium.
That's in line with the way they are advertising it as 20% of three month's premiums, so no deception there.

Finally got mine as a credit card credit. $45.... Yahoo.....:LOL:

I got fifty bucks.

Well, we had to tone down the "wild night on the town" we'd counted on with the insurance refund. It's all of $45.

I guess that's good for lunch somewhere.

Got a refund from AAA today. They say it's 20% of the March 16th through May 15th portion of our annual premium, so about 3.3% of the total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom