repair people in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
Not sure where to put this post.

I am fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

I would like to have someone come in and replace the shower door.
He tells me he would need his cousin to help him with the installation.
This person tells me his vaccinated.
Not sure about his cousin.

I am thinking I can open all the windows in the bathroom and have fan blow air through.

Should I do this?

I had repair folks in even pre-vacc, when stuff HAD to be done. Just kept my distance and mask, etc. - and yes a repair was in a bathroom, opened the outside door.

Now that I'm vaccinated? I have had several people in the house, deliveries and stuff, without a worry. It's not like I'm going to be up close having a conversation for minutes in a row anyway. I view it as no more than incidental contact and just about zero risk.

I trust the vaccines, and the very very low rates of new infection.

You're fully vaccinated. No worries. It's really that simple.

This vaccine is remarkably effective. The risks to you are almost zero. The risk that the cousin isn't vaccinated, AND has come into contact with someone who is infected in the past week or so, is also extremely small. Combine those factors and you'll never find any other risk in life to be this close to zero.

And for the record, I'm not an anti-vaxxer or a COVID denier. I've taken all the precautions and got in line for my shots the first day I could. But times have changed and for the vaccinated it now really is safe to go - almost - back to normal.

We have had several people in the house throughout the pandemic. Before and after we were vaccinated. Orkin about monthly, alarm guy, new door guy, hvac inspection. They have all been masked. I haven't done anything special like leaving windows open etc. Front door guy was here all day, but with door off for a while and him outside for a while.

OP - If it makes you more comfortable, open the window and turn on the fan. If I was to do this, I would open a couple of windows other than in the bathroom. Let the fan draw air from elsewhere in the house through the bathroom to vent.

Seems like minimal risk to me, unless you think your immune response would have be subpar to the vaccine.

FYI, I had my annual physical with my Primary Care doctor yesterday . He told me he worked the hospital this weekend trying to save COVID patients from dying. (Our county is in very sad shape right now due to its own choosing with ~37% vaccination rate and hospitalization at ~70% of our peak December rate.) After my doctor thanked me for getting the vaccine shots, I told my DW and I was taking zero precautions now and I viewed exposure as my 3rd booster shot. He indicated no guarantees, but based on our overall health, he was fine with this approach.

Thank you all for the reassurances.

I think I will probably have the windows open just for my peace of mind.
And besides it is nice having breeze through the house to "air it out" even without Covid.

Before vaccines, we had people in to do necessary work, and gave them masks to wear.

Since we've been vaccinated, we've had various people in nearly every day for a kitchen renovation and other work. No masks.

We don't get up in their faces or look over their shoulders, but we never did that anyway.

I must say, my first thought was "How did they break?"

I must say, my first thought was "How did they break?"

That's what I thought too. I was thinking, "Is this thread about DIY medical procedures?"

We are vaccinated and have had folks in the house. They all wear masks. We put them on also, for extra precaution, although we should not need too. I do it more for the workers, as they don't know MY vaccine history.

This person tells me [he's] vaccinated.

I am thinking I can open all the windows in the bathroom and have fan blow air through.

Should I do this?

Yes, that's what I would do, and I would also ask them to wear masks while they are inside your house. Even though you're fully vaccinated, they should mask up as a courtesy to you. Similar to how servers at restaurants are still wearing masks, even though (I would assume) most of them have been fully vaccinated.

Should I do this?

You're vaccinated. Done and done. I personally wouldn't ask them to wear a mask...I found it was awfully uncomfortable just sitting on an air conditioned plane and I sure as hell wouldn't want to wear one doing manual labor, especially if you are going to open the windows in the summer.

Last edited:
Seems low risk. We have had to have repair ppl in the house and im unvax, my DH is vaccinated. He masks and handles them and I go hide in another closed off room of the house. I think if you ask them to mask you are prob fine just dont stand over them bc no one likes that. covid is a good excuse for distance.

Adding: 100pct of the repairmen have come masked without us asking. a cousin maybe not so much but normal repair peopel

Last edited:
I'm rebuilding a shower, and just removed the shower door to rebuild the walls and hang new porcelain tile.

In most cases, a door replacement is a one man job. A second person would just get in the way.

You're vaccinated. Done and done. I personally wouldn't ask them to wear a mask...I found it was awfully uncomfortable just sitting on an air conditioned plane and I sure as hell wouldn't want to wear one doing manual labor, especially if you are going to open the windows in the summer.

I totally agree.

Exactly what risk are you trying to mitigate? If you're fully vaxxed, it's over. At least until there's a variant which the vaccine doesn't work against.

It's interesting how hard these habits we hated so much at first are to break.

It felt weird going into a store unmasked for the first time. But the way I see it, continuing to take precautions no longer recommended by the experts borders on being a "science denier."

Weather permitting, just open the windows. Ventilation really helps, especially if it is directed, like having a fan blowing air out the bath window.

We deal with the same repairmen and tradesmen we have always dealt with. We have known them a long time, and they are trustworthy and responsible.

Yesterday I had the termite guy come inside to do my annual inspection for termites. Frank's family has known the termite guy's family for about a hundred years or so, and he went to school with some of them too. (This is old New Orleans, the biggest small town ever). Also this termite guy has done my annual termite inspections for about 20 years.

Neither the termite guy nor I was wearing a mask, and neither of us was coughing or sneezing or otherwise exhibiting any symptoms, either. And, really we weren't within 6 feet of each other for more than a second or two since he was busy inspecting the bathrooms and such, while I was sitting in my recliner in the den.

I'm not worried. But then some would say that was daredevil behavior. As in investing, we each have our own risk tolerance. Be sure you feel OK with your decision no matter what the outcome.

BTW, no termites! And when I asked him if it was time for the full (pricey) termite prevention treatment, he said no, five more years before I need that.

Should I do this?

Go for it! Get that repair done. :greetings10:

We had multiple minor plumbing failures that were beyond our tools, so we had a repair guy in the house several times last summer/autumn. The first time he wore a very complicated mask. The last time, he wore a simple mask. He saw that we were older home-bodies and that our son was working from home.

We wore masks in our own house when he was there. Our numbers locally were never high, thankfully.

Look at your local numbers. Our county is down to 1-2 cases per day. The county where our repair guys live is down to mostly zero. Get the repair done. You are vaccinated. Open the windows anyway when you can, regardless of Covid, between heat waves and rain.

You are vaccinated. You'll be ok.

We are both vaccinated and rarely have anyone in our home that we don't know for repairs or cleaning. This would especially be the case if we don't know them. If they are invited in they have to properly wear a mask while they are here. We would do the same. Since we don't know them we don't care if they say they have been vaccinated. People lie. Our house, our rules, our money.

Cheers!

Update

Weather permitting, just open the windows. Ventilation really helps, especially if it is directed, like having a fan blowing air out the bath window.

This is what I ended up doing and will do later in the month when the shower door is replaced.

And I will still be wearing a mask.
I have lots. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom