Response to California ER doctors video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masquernom

Full time employment: Posting here.
A link was posted earlier in another thread of a video made by two California ER doctors. They were basically refuting the stay at home requirements of the state. Here's the response of their peer organizations;

"The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) jointly and emphatically condemn the recent opinions released by Dr. Daniel Erickson and Dr. Artin Massihi. These reckless and untested musings do not speak for medical societies and are inconsistent with current science and epidemiology regarding COVID-19. As owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears these two individuals are releasing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their personal financial interests without regard for the public’s health."

https://www.acep.org/corona/COVID-1...lHByy1Trb4PD7H-VdRI5CJVhtYeiY7L7iTUT-hy9R2NW4

My brother was sharing this video on FB. He's convinced the virus is overblown big time and is some kind of conspiracy between the liberal left and big Pharma to take over the world - or something like that. I tend to tune him out when he goes on his rants. At any rate, he was absolutely convinced that these doctors are right. All of his friends agree. He's also mad that he can't go to Costco anymore because they are requiring masks.

My brother was sharing this video on FB. He's convinced the virus is overblown big time and is some kind of conspiracy between the liberal left and big Pharma to take over the world - or something like that. I tend to tune him out when he goes on his rants. At any rate, he was absolutely convinced that these doctors are right. All of his friends agree. He's also mad that he can't go to Costco anymore because they are requiring masks.

And if he wears a mask to go to Costco, he is somehow admitting something?

Obviously he doesn't want to go to Costco bad enough.

Obviously he doesn't want to go to Costco bad enough.

After his rant, he said he didn't have a mask. I told him I bought one off of Etsy for $7 and had it in 2 days. He was running out of excuses.

My cousin was sharing a video by a Dr. Rashid Buttar that was another viral conspiracy about coronavirus. I googled it to find out who he was but didn't watch the video.

Too bad...

Perhaps he should make sure his Will is up to date, as it's a good thing to do anyhow.

All of his friends agree. He's also mad that he can't go to Costco anymore because they are requiring masks.
So a private company like Costco shouldn't have the freedom to require their customers to wear masks?

I guess I should be glad there are folks like this: apparently, one way to dramatically speed up vaccine development is to have volunteers be vaccinated and then purposely be exposed to the corona virus to immediately see that it works. So all these protesters who don't think the virus is a big deal will be stepping up to do their patriotic duty right?

Too bad...

Perhaps he should make sure his Will is up to date, as it's a good thing to do anyhow.

He doesn't have one. He doesn't own much of anything. I told him to go buy Willmaker and fill it out leaving what he has to his two kids.

I think the whole COVID thing is getting to a lot of us. He's also dealing with little income, breaking up with his GF of 10 years and being isolated. He's going through a hard time, so I tend to brush off a lot of what he says. I can tell he's taking the isolation thing really hard.

So who is funding this conspiracy - Soros or Bloomberg?:facepalm:

+100 on what Ready said.

My DS sent me a link to the California video and I watched it. I thought...What? that goes against everything I've heard from every other Doctor to date. I even googled their name just to see if they were "real " doctors.

My conclusion was not to believe them simply because the majority of other in their profession was saying quite the opposite.

It's sad to see people doing this when it could have serious consequences on people's health. This is a real danger because the more the same information is repeated, the more likely we are to believe it to be accurate.

Stay Safe!!

Meh. Youtube is banning/filtering anything that disagrees with WHO.
Yet it was WHO that said there was no person-to-person transmission, restricting travel from infected countries (China) was bad for business, etc. and that was into February. Granted that was "early on", but its still "early on" and we don't know a damn thing for certain about this bug yet.

I am VERY surprised that the studies on sample testing in NYC and CA that showed much larger % of the population as being positive hasn't made a dent in news cycle.
21% of people tested in NYC has already been exposed...
The Stanford study said " 50 to 85 times more than the official count" had been exposed....

So I don't know what to think about 2 Drs grabbing 15 minutes of fame. But there is other data that suggests the seriousness of this disease is over blown. Now its down right nasty/deadly/long term serious for a % of patients, but it does suggest there are other ways to go at this than locking EVERYBODY down.

Given starvation vs. the virus, I'll take my chances with the virus and I'm in an elevated risk group (age, weight, blood pressure). I'm down 30lbs in 7ish weeks skipping meals so my wife doesn't have to... I can't do that for another 18months till a vaccine fast-tracked in 1/3 the time it normally takes to deliver a supposedly safe vaccine.

https://news.yahoo.com/stanford-study-coronavirus-exposure-far-180622931.html
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/health-official-million-nyc-possibly-exposed-virus-70307686

After his rant, he said he didn't have a mask. I told him I bought one off of Etsy for $7 and had it in 2 days. He was running out of excuses.

He could probably wear a bandana, unless Costco says thats not sufficient.

So who is funding this conspiracy - Soros or Bloomberg?:facepalm:

Ha Ha, at least one of those two would want the lockdown to last another 18 months with the economy is in shambles.

Some people only listen for what they want to hear.

I imagine a lot of us do that more than we care to admit:blush:
+1 for PatrickA5.

Confirmation bias is universal in humans. The degree to which individuals can recognize it and set it aside varies markedly.

The three (or four?) most powerful words - 'I don't know'.

My DS sent me a link to the California video and I watched it. I thought...What? that goes against everything I've heard from every other Doctor to date. I even googled their name just to see if they were "real " doctors.

My conclusion was not to believe them simply because the majority of other in their profession was saying quite the opposite.

If this was the criteria I would still be poisoning myself with statins.

I didn't watch the video and if I did I'd probably agree with the majority. But I'd do it based on the evidence presented, as opposed to the accepted science. Accepted science has either created or exacerbated the obesity and diabetes epidemics that is knocking off a lot of the people that catch Coronavirus.

As the great scientist/philosophizer Timothy Leary said "Think for yourself and question authority!"

If this was the criteria I would still be poisoning myself with statins.

I didn't watch the video and if I did I'd probably agree with the majority. But I'd do it based on the evidence presented, as opposed to the accepted science. Accepted science has either created or exacerbated the obesity and diabetes epidemics that is knocking off a lot of the people that catch Coronavirus.

As the great scientist/philosophizer Timothy Leary said "Think for yourself and question authority!"
I agree with this for the most part.

But, thinking for myself in this case, the docs extrapolated a massively biased sample (walk in test takers at an urgent care testing facility during a pandemic) to the entire population. This may as well have been the Three Stooges pretending to be medical professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom