Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 08:12 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been fully vaccinated since March and have been eating out once or twice a week. I always tip 20% except on a small bill if I actually get waited on. Then I tip more because they expend the same amount of time no matter what I eat. If I pick up my food at a counter then a few bucks is fine. Our mask mandate has been lifted but I carry one because you never know which places still require one.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Major Tom, good luck with your knee replacement. DH had his knee replacement 5 weeks ago and is doing well. He slowly walked a half mile yesterday. On the other hand, I as his caretaker am not doing so well--it hurt my back to help him and I have an appt with a back doctor on Monday. It's always something.
If I can also slowly walk half a mile in 5 weeks, I'll be quite happy with that. That gives me something to look forward to! I agree with you - it's always something. I've been lucky with my health, but am beginning to realize that I need to fix things as they go wrong, otherwise I'll be dealing with multiple things at the same time. Once my knee is fixed, the next weak spot will be my hip on the same side. However, it hasn't yet degenerated enough for surgery to be considered as an option. I'm hoping to get a few pretty good years before the hip needs replacing - and am then hoping that something else won't need fixing at that point, so I can have good mobility for a while longer, before everything starts falling apart!

It's almost like home ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Good luck with your knee replacement! I will be "rooting for you" as you go through the surgery and recovery. The recovery period can be challenging for a few weeks. But for me the ultimate results have been phenomenal and I hope your results are too. Even now, over two years later, my knee keeps surprising me by getting better and better. It's probably 10x stronger than the knee that didn't have surgery and I love having all that stability.
Thank you, W2R. Like you, I have a feeling my newly rejuvenated knee will begin showing up other parts of my frame and putting them to shame! I have been hobbling and wobbling around for the last few years, so a newfound stability will be welcome. I am rather bowlegged, and am curious to see if the knee surgery corrects for this at all. The surgeon has indicated this as a possibility, but not a foregone conclusion.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:30 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Cases here per 100,000 here are 6.2. I don't care, give me sushi!
Old 05-23-2021, 02:47 AM   #204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Tuna reproductive capabilities are amazing - - each female produces millions of eggs per year. Survival of the fittest being as it is, most of these eggs don't grow up and make it to adulthood due to competition. But some do, as many as the ecosystem can support. Harvesting fewer tunas shouldn't have much effect on how plentiful they are.
So good to know! The Islands wouldn't be the same without them, though YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:38 PM   #205
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dined in at a local restaurant breakfast/lunch house that has been around since 1936. Bacon and two eggs over easy with hash-browns and sourdough toast. I'm getting hungry thinking about it again! Took home half the hash-browns and two of the four thick slabs of bacon. Two meals for the price of one.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:53 AM   #206
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have been fully vaccinated since March and have been eating out once or twice a week. I always tip 20% except on a small bill if I actually get waited on. Then I tip more because they expend the same amount of time no matter what I eat. If I pick up my food at a counter then a few bucks is fine. Our mask mandate has been lifted but I carry one because you never know which places still require one.
+1, with the caveat that DW and I have been eating out a little more than that (maybe 2-3 times a week) for a while now.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:00 AM   #207
Give me a forum ...

We have dinner out at least 3 times/week - before, during and after the pandemic. We went from all takeout, to takeout or outdoor seating - and we’re finally eating indoors some now. We always preferred outside seating before the pandemic, so we weren’t that put out sitting outside during the pandemic. We resorted to a lot of takeout last year to support restaurants, but we’ve finally ended that practice. Before the pandemic we usually tipped 18-20% for good service, since then we’re 20-25% or more and plan to continue.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Closed Thread