Restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned in another thread, I took DW to a nice downtown restaurant tonight and it was full. Downtown foot traffic seemed normal for early on a cool, drizzly Saturday evening.

Nothing remarkable at the restaurant (except the food which was fab) except we appreciated that they had table cloths instead of a hard surface, so were were pretty confident that the dining surface was clean.

Just a (to me anyway) funny observation on the replies here. How is the waiter or waitress supposed to bring you food and drink if they can't touch anything? Haven't seen anybody with talented enough elbows to do it, needs to be hands.

Restaurants could use plates with a handle protruding out the edge. This idea:

Hde314f2963b44c00b727bd6509566d21M.jpg_300x300.jpg_.webp

Based on conversations with my friends from both sides of the political leanings, it would be an interesting survey on how crowded restaurants are in areas on the right vs. the left.

In addition to using carry out more often, we’re going out much earlier to avoid crowds. Ate at a Mexican restaurant last night, sat down just before 5:00pm. Not ideal, but worth it to avoid exposure to larger crowds. FWIW

There was an interesting article in the local morning paper on how some local restaurants are doing. People are still dining out, although traffic is down about 20%. One of the measures mentioned by multiple restaurants was seating people with empty tables in between. Rigorous hand washing.

Yesterday I browsed some restaurant websites to see if they had any information or specific Coronavirus policy. None had anything, which I think is a major failure in management. I think restaurants need to communicate clearly measures they are taking to keep diners safe (relatively). This morning I did one, at Cheesecake Factory. https://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/founder-message/

There was an interesting article in the local morning paper on how some local restaurants are doing. People are still dining out, although traffic is down about 20%. One of the measures mentioned by multiple restaurants was seating people with empty tables in between. Rigorous hand washing.

Yesterday I browsed some restaurant websites to see if they had any information or specific Coronavirus policy. None had anything, which I think is a major failure in management. I think restaurants need to communicate clearly measures they are taking to keep diners safe (relatively). This morning I did one, at Cheesecake Factory. https://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/founder-message/
A few local restaurants here have taken steps. Like grocery stores they are closing earlier to “super sanitize” every night. Spacing tables, disposable plates and utensils so employees don’t have to handle customers dirty plates, removing condiments/salt/pepper on tables (packets instead), etc.

Smart restaurant owners will be proactive to encourage customers to keep coming, and minimize their lost customers.

Here’s a few examples https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...th-coronavirus-threat/jScmYk3bttkEDkDt18n9SJ/

Last edited:
A popular local chef closed his restaurants a few days ago, letting go of his staff of 800:

"This is devastating," Douglas told CNN. "They aren't just my coworkers or my employees, these are my friends. It's just there is no money to pay them. These are life terms."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/coronavirus-seattle-chef-closes-restaurants-trnd/index.html

I’m still going out, trying to support local businesses. I’m not in a high-risk demographic, but I am wary that I could be a carrier and unknowingly infect others. If I was >60 or have contact with >60, I would self-isolate as much as possible.

What eating out I do will be pick up only. I had friends gathering last night at a bar/grill but i declined.

We, as are all our friends, not eating out till it is all blown back into proportion. We are having more "Virus Free" house parties, more fun actually.

We went to outback yesterday for lunch and not many people at all. They spread the customers out.

Ohio is closing all restaurants and bars starting at 9 pm tonight. The state currently has 36 cases.

I live in PA and I have enough food in my freezer and pantry for a month or so, but I have a gift certificate to a restaurant that expires 3/30, so I plan to use that gift certificate by getting food to go, curbside tomorrow at 2pm when I assume it won't be busy. \

But I'm nervous about even doing that. After that, other than walking the dog every day, I don't plan on going anywhere at all. I'm 55 and I have hypertension and I read that half of the deaths in China were from people with hypertension

Looks like lots of states are starting to close restaurants and bars. This is about to be a redundant thread.

I got takeout from a ramen place in the neighborhood this afternoon. Only two tables occupied, another takeout customer came in after me (maintaining social distance). Doubled my usual tip. Several restaurants in Austin have announced either temporary closing or outdoor/takeout service only.

California ordered the immediate shutdown of all bars. So far restaurants are allowed to stay open but have been directed to cut their capacity in half to allow for more space between diners.

I’m expecting this to change again shortly though. I bet by the end of next week restaurants will only be allowed to operate take out.

If an infected person went to a restaurant in South Korea before he was found infected, it would most likely be reported and everyone would know about it, but if an infected individual went to a restaurant in the US or Canada, I don't think anybody would tell us, for various reasons (the restaurant would have no customers after that, for example), but I wish they told us. I might want to self-quarantine myself if I knew I happened to be sitting in the same restaurant with the infected individual at the same time. I mean, they would tell you if you had sat close to someone with the virus on the plane, right? They would even ask you to "self-monitor" if you were not close to the individual but happened to be on the same plane, right? Why not give us that info on all the places the infected individuals have visited including restaurants and such? There is a guy in my area who supposedly flew on a plane sick and he didn't go to ER for 4 days, and I really would like to know if he went to the supermarket I frequent or went to the sports bar I was at with my friends the other day, during those 4 days.

For this reason alone, I shouldn't go to any restaurants at all right now.

Last edited:
We normally eat lunch at a restaurant. But today we decided to start staying home because of the virus. So, to ease into the idea of not eating out, we had lunch delivered. The delivery man wore gloves, and the food was still hot. So, maybe that's a little better.

We normally eat lunch at a restaurant. But today we decided to start staying home because of the virus. So, to ease into the idea of not eating out, we had lunch delivered. The delivery man wore gloves, and the food was still hot. So, maybe that's a little better.

Would you ask him next time how often he changes his gloves?

Sorry, that was the first thing that came to my mind...

Good grief! This thread is only from a couple of weeks ago but it feels like a lifetime ago. :'(

No. Here in Alameda County in Northern California restaurants have been closed for dine in since the 2 nd week of March— open for take out or delivery only. Just got a notification tonight that the County has extended its order until 5/3. Expect the state order to be extended too.

Any exposure in a restaurant contains some risk. Is the food enjoyment benefit worth the risk? This is just like a financial question, it is risk vs reward.

At 68, the risk for me far outweighs the benefits. So no way in hell am I eating in a restaurant or even carrying out. That is a far cry different than pre-Covid19 for me.
But a life changer for sure. Excellent question and discussion.

All of our restaurants are closed except for carry-outs. Going out to eat now is insane.

I created this thread on March 13th when restaurants were still open and doing a brisk business.

The next day California ordered all bars to shut down. Restaurants were ordered to fill seats to maximum 50% capacity. Several days later all restaurant dining rooms were shut down. A few days later all Californians were ordered to stay at home unless travel is essential. Now 80% of the country is being told to stay at home.

Things have been moving so quickly with this pandemic that it feels like it’s been months. But it was only 18 days ago that I was eating in a packed restaurant, going to the gym, and shopping at the mall. I still can’t believe how much life has changed in the past 18 days.

Reactions: W2R
I live in a county in MO without a single confirmed case of Covid-19, but all the restaurants in town have closed their dining rooms and if they are still open at all, are only offering take out or delivery.

People are staying home in droves!

I don’t eat out. Period. All restaurants here are closed to diners. Some offer takeout. Ive done that a few times. Saving $$ but running the dishwasher a lot more than I did. Oh yes. Making my own coffee too. Haven’t used this much milk in years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom