Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I'll be donating blood this week. I used to do it on and off, but years ago I got a letter from the red cross saying that my blood was missing some "thing" (germ or virus or whatever, cannot remember) that 90% of the population has, and because of that my blood was much safer to use with infants and young children. Since then I have tried to give more regularly.
Most likely CMV. I know I'm CMV-positive, which is apparently not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I used to give blood regularly with extra care because of generally low blood pressure. About 12 years ago I nevertheless passed out cold after donating twice in a row (several months apart). <snip>DD suggested I eat a large meal an hour or two before going and to be super well hydrated.
Like you, I've got borderline-low BP and I'm also a lightweight. I've had a few faint spells after donating and now I'm very careful to hydrate and eat a good meal first and I'm fine. Good luck!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

I think a nice thing to do during the shut down is call people who you know live alone just to check on them and also give them time to vent .
Old 03-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think a nice thing to do during the shut down is call people who you know live alone just to check on them and also give them time to vent .
A most excellent suggestion! Also safe and easy to do.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Ref my post #13, here is a list I got from my local chapter this morning. In ARC lingo "virtual" means done from home:

Virtual Opportunities include:

• Disaster Action Team (DAT) Duty Officer: An American Red Cross Duty Officer immediately dispatches
disaster responders to fires, floods, and tornadoes at a moment’s notice. Serve your community by
assisting those affected by disasters by becoming a qualified disaster dispatcher in less than 8 hours!

• Media Relations: Media Relations volunteers are part of a professional volunteer team that develops
and delivers the Red Cross story behind-the-scenes, on-camera, in-person and online through media
channels, websites, social media feeds and other content platforms.

• Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) Caseworker: SAF Caseworkers provide virtual support to active
military members, veterans, and their families while working remotely from their home or in our office.
Training provided; no experience required.

• Volunteer Scheduler: Schedulers work to ensure that blood drives have the appropriate number of
volunteers scheduled to support and prepared for that blood drive. May schedule shifts for volunteers
on their behalf but will also work to educate volunteers on how to self-schedule online.

• Volunteer Screener: Gathers relevant information about prospective volunteer candidates while
assessing which positions volunteers are best suited for. Provides an excellent experience for all new
volunteers joining the American Red Cross!

Your local chapter may have different needs, of course.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:15 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Ref my post #13, here is a list I got from my local chapter this morning. In ARC lingo "virtual" means done from home:

Virtual Opportunities include:

• Disaster Action Team (DAT) Duty Officer: An American Red Cross Duty Officer immediately dispatches
disaster responders to fires, floods, and tornadoes at a moment’s notice. Serve your community by
assisting those affected by disasters by becoming a qualified disaster dispatcher in less than 8 hours!

• Media Relations: Media Relations volunteers are part of a professional volunteer team that develops
and delivers the Red Cross story behind-the-scenes, on-camera, in-person and online through media
channels, websites, social media feeds and other content platforms.

• Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) Caseworker: SAF Caseworkers provide virtual support to active
military members, veterans, and their families while working remotely from their home or in our office.
Training provided; no experience required.

• Volunteer Scheduler: Schedulers work to ensure that blood drives have the appropriate number of
volunteers scheduled to support and prepared for that blood drive. May schedule shifts for volunteers
on their behalf but will also work to educate volunteers on how to self-schedule online.

• Volunteer Screener: Gathers relevant information about prospective volunteer candidates while
assessing which positions volunteers are best suited for. Provides an excellent experience for all new
volunteers joining the American Red Cross!

Your local chapter may have different needs, of course.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-31-2020, 03:34 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

A happy update from the blood center- mine no longer takes walk-ins because they've had such an overwhelming number. You need an appointment. They sometimes show up all at once (probably after work) and then they can't exercise proper social distancing. One phlebotomist told me he's seeing lots of new faces. I suppose the demand has slowed a bit, too, since elective surgery is being postponed.

I hope this continues even after the dust has settled.
Closed Thread