Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Safest way to have blood work done?
Old 04-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Safest way to have blood work done?

DH, age 69, has psoriatic arthritis and takes Humira (it has been a miracle drug for him). He had a teleconference appointment with his rheumatologist this morning. It is time for his Humira to be renewed (he gets it by Fed Ex). Humira can affect the liver so he has to have his blood checked every 3 months. The doctor says he has to have his blood work done before she will refill the Humira. The lab in the doctors office is closed as is the local LabCorp. He can go to a LabCorp in a nearby city. The LabCorp's website says they are not doing covid-19 testing and they will let you check in online and they have app to let you stay in your car until it is time for your blood draw but you do have to go inside--they do not come out to your car.

DH will take the normal precautions--wear a mask, wash hands after. Should he also wear disposable gloves (we have just a few)? What other suggestions to keep DH safe for his blood work taking into account he is high risk? Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
DH, age 69, has psoriatic arthritis and takes Humira (it has been a miracle drug for him). He had a teleconference appointment with his rheumatologist this morning. It is time for his Humira to be renewed (he gets it by Fed Ex). Humira can affect the liver so he has to have his blood checked every 3 months. The doctor says he has to have his blood work done before she will refill the Humira. The lab in the doctors office is closed as is the local LabCorp. He can go to a LabCorp in a nearby city. The LabCorp's website says they are not doing covid-19 testing and they will let you check in online and they have app to let you stay in your car until it is time for your blood draw but you do have to go inside--they do not come out to your car.

DH will take the normal precautions--wear a mask, wash hands after. Should he also wear disposable gloves (we have just a few)? What other suggestions to keep DH safe for his blood work taking into account he is high risk? Thanks.

He does not need to wear disposable gloves but make sure the person drawing blood wears a mask. Under normal circumstances, they only wear gloves but these are not normal times. Have him wear eye protection (safety glasses). Use hand sanitizer after he is done.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
He does not need to wear disposable gloves but make sure the person drawing blood wears a mask. Under normal circumstances, they only wear gloves but these are not normal times. Have him wear eye protection (safety glasses). Use hand sanitizer after he is done.
I'm sure the phlebotomists all got the memo. I gave blood on Friday and they were all wearing masks.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a card-carrying germaphobe, I recommend stripping down in the garage and put everything in the washer before entering the house and then shower! But hey, I've done this after visiting my Quest lab long before the COVID saga.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post

i've had two blood draws over the past 10-days, once in an ER and again in a lab located in a doctor's office bldg (non CV19 medical issue). i'm 69, a bit overweight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetic (all under control)...so high risk. the lab techs wore gowns, gloves and a mask. i had a mask. i've seen four different doctors, one twice and had a CAT scan and MRI. all of the medical staff wore gowns, gloves and masks. i was more worried...concerned...about who would help care for my wife should i need to be hospitalized (we're not home...still in our RV in AZ) and finding out what was wrong with me than i was about contracting CV19.

i've had our dog to the vet three times in the past month. we arrive, park and call inside. a gloved, gowned and masked tech comes out, confirms the details and takes our dog inside. i wait in the car. when done the vet calls me, we discuss diagnosis znd treatment, vet asst gets CC info and tech returns pup to me. no worries.

these are all medical professionals. i trust them. i think you czn, too.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 04-29-2020, 06:58 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OP here--DH just got back from having his blood work done at LabCorp and all went well. The technician wore mask and gloves and used safety precautions. DH also wore mask and gloves and of course washed hands and changed clothes when he got home. LabCorp has a good app--he had to go in the building but used the app to let them know he was in the parking lot and they texted him when it was time for him to go in. It helped he was the first appt of the day. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions here.
Closed Thread