Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Scott Gottlieb interview 4/22
Old 04-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
Administrator

Scott Gottlieb interview 4/22

Scott Gottlieb interview this morning on CNBC (from his Twitter feed here) , he said
Quote:
What we are seeing even in young people who have very mild symptoms who don't appear to have any difficulty breathing. when you actually do a CT scan or chest x-ray of their lungs, they're showing bilateral infiltrates, there is some lung damage going on, even in people who might not be showing outward signs of very severe infection.
So, young people with strong lungs may have damage, just not noticed yet. That would mean asymptomatic does not mean unaffected. We're heavily focused on the mortality rate, perhaps there are also longer lasting health effects not yet in discussion.

Gottlieb is an MD, former Commissioner of the FDA and fellow at the AEI.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 03:40 PM   #2

Very interesting. There is a lot we still don't know about this virus and the illness it causes.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I have real concerns about potential long term health issues for anyone who contracts Covid-19. Those who survive, especially those who were severely ill, may never return to the level of good health they previously enjoyed. We just don't know yet.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #4

I've been reading and I've come to understand that the reason is easier transmission of CO2 versus O2 (solubility). Even though there's "something going on" to make the layer between the blood and the air in the lung change, the CO2 doesn't build-up (because it's able to traverse better), so you don't feel that "can't breath" result. It's like suddenly traveling to a high altitude place...Before you're acclimatized, you don't feel it (at all or right away), but if you checked your SpO2, it might be 75% (as opposed to normally being in high 90's). That's why so many people come down with "altitude sickness", or worse HAPE.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can’t lungs eventually heal unless you have other diseases?
Old 04-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know that I've read that even after years of smoking lungs will return to pretty much full health, after a number of years without smoking. So I assume that they'd recover from this too.

After a quick search - https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...17956#timeline

I know smoking isn't Covid-19, but it sounds encouraging to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have real concerns about potential long term health issues for anyone who contracts Covid-19. Those who survive, especially those who were severely ill, may never return to the level of good health they previously enjoyed. We just don't know yet.
That's why I'm trying so hard to avoid it. I'm not too afraid of dying from it, as the odds are ever in my favor. But I'm deathly afraid of living out the end of my life as an invalid. That's why I make so many stupid decisions that can kill me fast. No success so far.
Closed Thread