Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 11:51 AM   #121
Administrator

Why don’t we just move on ..l
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2023, 12:06 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Or maybe no decision for a while:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ters-rcna67491
Old 01-27-2023, 12:43 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New CDC report suggests the bivalent vaccines are really worth getting because they provide additional protection compared to older boosters https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/...DC_921-DM97925 :
Quote:
Using spike (S)-gene target presence as a proxy for BA.2 sublineages, including XBB and XBB.1.5, during December 2022–January 2023, the results showed that a bivalent mRNA booster dose provided additional protection against symptomatic XBB/XBB.1.5 infection for at least the first 3 months after vaccination in persons who had previously received 2–4 monovalent vaccine doses.
Note this is protection against symptomatic infection not just against hospitaization and death.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:51 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc58 View Post
That’s not accurate.
MD’s cannot give false or misleading information about COVID-19 to their patients.
Link:

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...-in-california
1/27/23, San Jose Mercury News. A Federal Judge, temporary moratorium,
on this new law. Guess it's going to the courts.
Agree. Md's cannot give misleading information. Issue is. Who decides
what is misleading information. The Courts will decide.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:31 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ars Technica has a good summary of the current situation at the FDA. Despite a lot of earlier debate about the value of bivalent boosters and whether boosters in general are worthwhile, the FDA panel that met this week reached some areas of consensus. The article notes that:

"The FDA seemed to soften the ground with questions and discussion topics focused on "harmonizing" and simplifying COVID vaccines. After the single vote, the agency directed the committee to discuss "simplifying the immunization schedule," before getting to the more perilous, but still gentle discussion topic of considering "periodic updates to COVID-19 vaccine composition."

Overall, the committee members favored streamlining vaccines where possible—making primary series shots match booster doses, and potentially whittling down regimens to one dose for adults and two for children and high-risk adults."

Still lots of areas of confusion, including what formulation should be used next, who should get them, and where "remained elephant-sized questions in the meeting room."
Old 01-29-2023, 08:00 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
So I've had 4 shots total, most recent last fall (plus fu shot), all COVID were Pfizer.

In my 50s, am I eligible (or recommended) for a 5th shot?
You should get one bivalent booster if you haven't had it yet and it's been at least 2 months since your last COVID vaccination.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...p-to-date.html

The bivalent was my 5th COVID shot.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:31 PM   #127

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/21/healt...-19/index.html

Maybe they'll approve a second bivalent like Canada and the UK. It is hard to define who would benefit so it could just be suggested for high risk after talking to your doctor
Old 03-22-2023, 06:51 PM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It’s been a while! Late Oct was our last I think.

On the other hand, local incidence of Covid is the lowest in a very long time.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:52 PM   #129

I don't think I would get one. Katelyn Jetelina points out that immunocompromised folks are currently disproportionately getting hospitalized. UK and Canada have apparently determined that high risk groups "can" get another bivalent booster without saying that they "should." With low uptake on the first bivalent dose in the US I think it is a matter of throwing away doses or letting people have use them. https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...m_medium=email
Old 03-23-2023, 02:06 PM   #130

One combo flu/covid shot per year or I'm out. Fully immunized and the side effects from the shots where worse than the actual infection. For me.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:36 PM   #131

So, DW and I have had 3 Moderna shots and one Moderna bivalent booster on 9 Sept 22. DW is immunocompromised and I'm just guessing the protective effects are waning a bit. Has anyone here got a second bivalent booster after six months? Any pushback from the pharmacy? We are on medicare.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:01 PM   #132

I scheduled mine today in the CVS app, fourth booster overall...
Old 03-23-2023, 07:15 PM   #133

I'm at the same spot as the OP, 5 shots in and the last one a bivalent in late October.
If they are doing another then I'm in. DW and I ( knock on wood ) have not had covid nor have we had much of a reaction to the vaccines.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:24 AM   #134

We're traveling to Europe in May; I'm hoping I can get a second bivalent booster a couple of weeks before we go. So far, neither I nor DH have had covid and if we can keep from getting sick with it we will. We know there is long covid, we know you can get it multiple times and we know just because you get a mild case doesn't mean there isn't some long term damage nor does it mean the next time you get it will also be a mild case. Plus, I'm 71.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:06 AM   #135
Administrator

We got a bivalent booster (our 5th shot overall) in October, prior to our trip to Egypt and Jordan. We will get whatever is the most current booster this October prior to our trip to Greece. We've never had a bad reaction to the shots. We did have Covid over Christmas 2001. It wasn't terrible, but I'd prefer not to try it again.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:46 AM   #136

I am done with the Covid shots. Current, but have not had Covid and symptoms are quite mild for healthy people.

[MOD EDIT]
Old 03-24-2023, 08:17 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had 5 shots, plus a (mild) case of covid. I think I'm done with the vaccines for now, might get one a year at the same time as my flu shot.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:48 AM   #138

I had my 5th vaccine last Friday, March 17. I wore green. [emoji256]
My previous vaccine was June 2022 and then had a thankfully mild case of Covid in September.
I waited 6 months to get the new and improved vaccine.

My biggest issue is trying to figure out the timing of when to get the vaccine. I decided that getting the 5th shot now should get me through the summer and into the Fall. I’m assuming that there will be additional guidance for the Fall but who knows.

I typically get my flu shot in October and I don’t want both vaccines together so if another Covid vaccine is recommended I will get that in November.
I turn 65 this year so I get the super duper flu vaccine for the first time.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:17 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
So, DW and I have had 3 Moderna shots and one Moderna bivalent booster on 9 Sept 22. DW is immunocompromised and I'm just guessing the protective effects are waning a bit. Has anyone here got a second bivalent booster after six months? Any pushback from the pharmacy? We are on medicare.
I'm the OP.
I don't know of anyone who's had a second bivalent; a second bivalent is not yet recommended and probably not yet approved.

OTOH, I know people who got an "unapproved" shot because it wasn't yet recommended (for their group) but they knew it would be. They just walked into a pharmacy and said "I want a Covid vaccination" or "I want the new bivalent booster", claimed they'd lost their card. Nobody asked too many questions. Of course they then had two or even three cards, but no problems later.

So far, the FDA/CDC seem way too cautious about approving and recommending the latest vaccine or boosting or re-boosting.
Yes, your nose could fall off if you get an unapproved shot, but the history makes that look highly unlikely.
For me, the question is "If I get this shot today, am I more likely to be alive a year from now, or less likely?" Looking at it that way, I'll probably find a way to get a second bivalent booster before we travel to the Middle East in August.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:23 PM   #140

We got the first two boosters, but decided to skip additional shots. We each had COVID once with relatively mild symptoms. We skipped flu shots this year too as we were traveling during the time we’d normally get them. So far, we didn’t get the flu or COVID and hopefully won’t this year.
Closed Thread