Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Senate Reaches Historic Deal On $2T Coronavirus Economic Rescue Package
Old 03-25-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Senate Reaches Historic Deal On $2T Coronavirus Economic Rescue Package

Looking forward to more detail, but finally!
Quote:
The plan marks the largest rescue package in American history. The legislation covers an array of programs, including direct payments to Americans, an aggressive expansion of unemployment insurance, billions in aid to large and small businesses and a new wave of significant funding for the healthcare industry.

The Senate is slated to vote on the package later Wednesday. House leaders have signaled an interest to approve the plan quickly, but had yet to react to the overnight developments early Wednesday. Many members are relying on highlights from the plan, and the legislative text of the bill has yet to be released to the public.
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/81888...rescue-package

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Looking forward to more detail, but finally!

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/81888...rescue-package
From the great beyond, Everett Dirksen quietly changed the letter "B" to "Tr"....
Old 03-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #3

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...…. I've heard this before. I'll believe it when the Senate votes on it and the House approves it and it is then signed into law, which it may very well be. I hate to be a naysayer, but things can and do change. Having the Senate agree is encouraging though.

edit: My comments were not intended to be against you, Midpack.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'm looking forward to finding out the details once it's nailed down and signed.
So many things have been said, and the devil is in the details, it's too uncertain for me right now.
Besides I don't get a vote.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...…. I've heard this before. I'll believe it when the Senate votes on it and the House approves it and it is then signed into law, which it may very well be. I hate to be a naysayer, but things can and do change. Having the Senate agree is encouraging though.

edit: My comments were not intended to be against you, Midpack.
I understand. I’m being (uncharacteristically) optimistic...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, there's something to be said for optimism. It's doggone hard to be optimistic about anything related to this pandemic.

I'm 100% pessimistic about the pandemic (and all these bills) but I am just in wait-and-see mode. I'm playing my video game for pure escapism and hoping for the best. We need optimists here on the forum to balance all us pessimists.

I sure hope that somehow, some temporary help can be provided to those individuals and businesses that need it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

I don't think early retirees will receive a check, because it requires minimum $2500 earned income to qualify (i.e. wages, self employed) ... at least according to the GOP proposal.

https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/m...20Measures.pdf
Old 03-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, if we concentrate all of our optimism together, we can get this done. Something similar worked in Ghostbusters II, didn't it?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #9

I'm hearing the House adjourned for the day without voting on the stimulus package. Has anyone heard otherwise?

EDIT: The bill needs to be passed by the entire Senate first before going to the House. Sounds like even if the Senates passes it early enough in the day, the House won't take up the bill until tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedst View Post
I don't think early retirees will receive a check, because it requires minimum $2500 earned income to qualify (i.e. wages, self employed) ... at least according to the GOP proposal.

Interesting, it is based on 2018 tax returns. For those who retired in 2018 (such as myself), that may impact what (if any) you are eligible for.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Interesting, it is based on 2018 tax returns. For those who retired in 2018 (such as myself), that may impact what (if any) you are eligible for.
Saw that too. Our income from the 2018 tax year is too high to qualify because of the taxable capital gains on a house sale. As it is, one of us is drawing SS and the other a pension. I really don't think we're supposed to be the individuals who require the immediate help.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

Well, that will suck for a few old folks I know that are living on SS only, and these days it's a little more expensive to order food online vs going to grocery store to pick the cheapest cat food.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If this is part of the final bill, then I agree that many of us here, including me, will get nothing, even if we meet any income $$ requirements. Interesting how SS and certain veterans benefits do count toward the $2,500 minimum income.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Saw that too. Our income from the 2018 tax year is too high to qualify because of the taxable capital gains on a house sale. As it is, one of us is drawing SS and the other a pension. I really don't think we're supposed to be the individuals who require the immediate help.
I agree. DW and I had been discussing adding anything we would potentially have gotten to our charity/gift giving. If this helps move the markets towards recovery that will be better for us than getting money.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Well, that will suck for a few old folks I know that are living on SS only, and these days it's a little more expensive to order food online vs going to grocery store to pick the cheapest cat food.
qualified income includes SS income according to the text of the bill.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Interesting how SS and certain veterans benefits do count toward the $2,500 minimum income.
SEE! I knew taking SS before 70 would pay-off!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
SS recipients qualify, I'm referring to early retirees, assuming ages below SS qualification.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #18

There appears to be a provision in the relief package that allows RMD's to be deferred. However, some sites are saying it applies to people starting under the new law at age 72 this year. Other sites seem to provide other conflicting information. I'd like to know if current RMD's will become optional, and thus can be discontinued for this year, under the provisions of the new bill. If you have a good source of information, please post. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The real question is what happens to people who had high income in 2018 but much lower income in 2019 (and 2020 is looking pretty bear).

They get the shaft or will things get trued up at tax time in 2021?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #20

Quote:

According to news reports, the requirements at the lower end have been removed in the final bill, which is not yet available online.

Also, the original bill (here) had the stimulus payment coming as an advance payment of a one-time credit that will be included on your 2020 tax return. It looks like they were just using 2018 tax returns to figure out who would probably be eligible for the 2020 credit so they could distribute the money early. I'm guessing that hasn't changed in the final bill, so if you're entitled to the credit in 2020, then even if you don't receive it in advance because you were in a different situation in 2018, you should still be able to claim it when you file next year.

I wonder what will happen for taxpayers who died in 2019 and for whom final returns haven't yet been filed...
Closed Thread