Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
What are people doing with all of this toilet paper they are buying? And what is happening to all the toilet paper that used to go to schools, restaurants, gyms, retail stores, office buildings, theaters, etc?
No idea on the first question, although some here have indicated that they're distributing it to others who need it.

As far as what's happening to the TP that used to go to places now closed- I think it's taking time to shift supply channels. AMC is ordering less, Costco is ordering more... the manufacturers need time to adjust, and possibly change quantities. Those giant rolls that are 4 feet in diameter meant for institutional bathrooms won't sell as well in retail stores. I'm guessing the same is happening with food suppliers- instead of sending rice and flour in 50-lb. bags to restaurants, they need to cut back on industrial sizes and increase home-sized packages.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2020, 09:43 AM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Go to Costco.com. I've been able to order TP there. However, it's usually out of stock. I sit at the computer a lot anyway, so throughout the day I check the TP and I've scored a few cases since this started. One I sent here and my DD already needed some. Another one I sent to a family member in AZ that couldn't get any. It's a lot easier and safer to "stand in line" on my computer than going out to a physical store.
Ah, so that’s the trick! I do check occasionally, but it’s always out of stock.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:54 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

DH reports this morning that our Central Minnesota Costco is looking more restocked (not quite back to normal, but getting there). Having said that they are still out of ... toilet paper.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:31 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

I ordered something from Walmart.com about a week ago, was suppose to be delivered last Friday. Tracking shows that the package got to the local Fed Ex last Friday. I have been getting notices from Fed Ex every day for the past 3 days that the package was to be delivered that day and then each day around 1 pm I get another notice that Fed Ex was unable to deliver it that day and that it will be delivered the next day. I wonder what is going on--is there a shortage of drivers? Is Fed Ex so busy that my package never gets on the truck? Is it possible for me to drive to the local fed ex building and pick up the package (but I probably don't want to do that because of the virus.)
Have not had much of an issue.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:57 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Have not had much of an issue.

We arrived back in the country March 19th after two weeks in Jamaica. ( Yes we got back just in time ) South of Atlanta Ga.

Went shopping the next morning to stock the rather empty fridge. We eat rather healthy - fresh vegetables, gluten free. there were lots of fresh foods available.. Meats and processed foods looked a bit ransacked but there were frozen options on hand. They were out of TP but I figure we had at least a month supply scattered around our bathrooms.

We were back out yesterday - found TP this time . Fresh food plentiful. Processed food aisle were rather battered - but we don't eat that stuff much anyhow . Meat options looked better ( still using my frozen stash) Eggs were picked over but again we buy the free range ones so they were available.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:16 PM   #146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I ordered Costco online delivery by Instacart last week. The delivery schedule was a week away and delivered yesterday.

I put a fresh order today thinking it might take another week to deliver. Well, when I checked 30 minutes later, delivery was available in 2 hours, so I quickly submitted a new order. I like how costco/Instacart website works. The progress for each step is clearly shown on my order, and the shopper sent me texts for replacement suggestions. Pork and eggs are gone, but everything else was available. We even got a 25 lb all-purpose flour. But no rice.

When he delivered the food, I ask if Costco is very busy, he said no. It is the lightest he has seen for the past 3 weeks. Looks like a lot of people have enough food stored or just use deliveries.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:40 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Not shopping anywhere in person.

Amazon - TP and facial tissues go.in and out of stock. Have ordered several packages of both for friends and family. Much easier and safer than trolling the aisles of our local stores.

Instacart- Very good service for less than 10% upcharge. Good substitutions when needed, shoppers text me for input. Give them a rather large tip - these shoppers are risking their health and do a super job.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

I went into Sam's club here in Illinois near Chicago and by accident, they were just putting paper towels and bathroom tissue on the floor.
I got one of each. Normally, that's just a daily occurence, but I felt as if I had just won the Lottery.

Anyway, I have more than I need, I have enough paper products til the end of the year, but more-so than ever,
I just LOVE my Sam's Club Scan & GO app on my cellphone. Pick it up, scan with my phone, flash the code at the door, and I'm gone gone gone.

I'm Loving It ~
Old 03-31-2020, 11:49 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I ordered something from Walmart.com about a week ago, was suppose to be delivered last Friday. Tracking shows that the package got to the local Fed Ex last Friday. I have been getting notices from Fed Ex every day for the past 3 days that the package was to be delivered that day and then each day around 1 pm I get another notice that Fed Ex was unable to deliver it that day and that it will be delivered the next day. I wonder what is going on--is there a shortage of drivers? Is Fed Ex so busy that my package never gets on the truck? Is it possible for me to drive to the local fed ex building and pick up the package (but I probably don't want to do that because of the virus.)

That sounds like the driver that usually drives your route is not there. Around last 4th of July, Fedex told me my package would be delivered the next day. The next day, it was out for delivery, until around 1 PM, where it suddenly switch to delivery the next day... O-kay... And on the next day, it showed out for delivery... and then that it was delivered! No, it was not delivered here! Sometime after 5 PM, it switched from "delivered" status, to "delivery the next day!" Well, it finally arrived the next day, the driver was surprised, and angry when I told him what the system had been showing me. He was on vacation for a couple days, he said it should not have been showing on his route, it should have been on someone else's since he was on a planned vac. He said that Fedex folks are being less than honest on some of the delivery issues, that this was far from the first time this had happened.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:41 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
WalMart pickup yesterday here in San Antonio. Rec'd everything I wanted minus bread and eggs (and screws and a puzzle??). Gallon and a half of glorious organic milk. Still OK, rolling the dice again with HEB today. Will be prepped for another 2 weeks or so. We never dug into our deep stock. DH wouldn't let me use anything from the freezer. Said that was for hard times. And wanting a chicken pot pie is not hard times.
We did an online pickup at Harris Teeter (Raleigh, NC) last night (from an order made a week ago). Didn't get any meat we ordered, except lunch meat. Got the milk, both cow and soy. Got eggs.

We've tapped into the freezer, although we have precious little in there. We're good for another week. We will make another order this morning for next week. The meat thing may eventually get me to get out and cruise stores. Apparently everyone is still filling up their freezers and hoarding whatever appears.

We still want to stay away from stores. So far, so good.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HalfBreed View Post
I went into Sam's club here in Illinois near Chicago and by accident, they were just putting paper towels and bathroom tissue on the floor.
I got one of each. Normally, that's just a daily occurence, but I felt as if I had just won the Lottery.

Anyway, I have more than I need, I have enough paper products til the end of the year, but more-so than ever,
I just LOVE my Sam's Club Scan & GO app on my cellphone. Pick it up, scan with my phone, flash the code at the door, and I'm gone gone gone.

I'm Loving It ~
You do realize that this is why people with no TP in the house can't get any?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Most people hoarding deny it, they are just "keeping their family safe."

Old 04-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
That is not hoarding. He picked up one case. Just because his usage equates to that lasting a year doesn’t make it hoarding. Frankly, that’s about the only size readily available these days. I’d call what he did acting on good luck. When you see a penny, pick it up . . .

I did something similar. I have an extra case right now. My DD with three kids and a husband has already tapped into it as I suspected they would when I bought it mid March. I scored another case the other day on Costco.com and if it actually arrives, I’ll be giving some of it away to someone that needs it.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
In my experience that is standard operating procedure for FedEx. The longest they have played that game of "Its on the delivery truck" with me is 21 days. That was about a year ago. In my case, they just don't want to drive out here. In your case the box may be large enough they choose to put more smaller packages on the truck. I've had UPS do that around Christmas time.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Here's how Prime Pantry is going these days:

I got a box from Prime Pantry this morning, a day earlier than promised and in perfect shape, delivered by an Amazon truck. I ordered it on March 27th.

Prime Pantry is still very limited in what items they offer, and only allow one or two of each item to be ordered. So, this was a relatively small ($45) box.

So, I just ordered another Prime Pantry box. They don't seem to mind. They allowed 2 of everything, but apparently they only had 1 can of soup left so they changed that from 2 cans to 1 can. This box was also small, and is scheduled for delivery on April 22nd.

I did get two each of some items (canned chicken breast, coffee, creamer, peanut butter, and spam) along with my one can of soup.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I found flour at our local mom and pop country store, but I still haven't found yeast anywhere, even online. I don't "need" it, but I have a recipe I've been wanting to make and yeast is the only thing holding me up.
You can "make" your own yeast. Simply Google "yeast starter". Basically, you take a jar or jug and mix equal amounts on non-clorinated water (let tap water sit in a jug for a day to dissipate chlorine) and flour (about 2 cups of each), a tablespoon of honey or sugar, cover the jar/jug opening with gauze and place the jug/jar in a warm place (70 to 80 deg. F.). Mix contents daily. Soon you should see some effervescence from the natural yeast from the air beginning to grow. After a week, refrigerate. Use a cup of the starter as your yeast to make bread and replenish the starter by adding a cup of water and yeast.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is not hoarding. He picked up one case. Just because his usage equates to that lasting a year doesn’t make it hoarding. Frankly, that’s about the only size readily available these days. I’d call what he did acting on good luck. When you see a penny, pick it up . . .

I did something similar. I have an extra case right now. My DD with three kids and a husband has already tapped into it as I suspected they would when I bought it mid March. I scored another case the other day on Costco.com and if it actually arrives, I’ll be giving some of it away to someone that needs it.
Why don't you just let someone who actually needs it now buy it from Costco. It's not acting on good luck when anyone overstocks on something in short supply.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #158

If you buy too much you get blamed for hoarding. If you don’t buy enough you get blamed for making too many trips to the store.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
If you buy too much you get blamed for hoarding. If you don’t buy enough you get blamed for making too many trips to the store.
You realize these two things actually feed off each other, right? Nobody is blaming anyone but this turns things into a vicious circle and screws up the supply chain for everybody.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

We are trying to help out 3 different older relatives, which is slightly odd as we are SS eligible ourselves.
Yesterday, we dropped off a couple of N95 masks , and a pair of blue gloves per person, plus some food.

Now we are thinking of ordering delivery for them, to cut down on the shopping they currently need to do, due to a lack of computer skills.