Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #41

Boca Raton, FL:

Still very hit and miss. Won't find TP/Towels unless you get their right as they get a delivery (publix, costco, etc.). Meats better, not great.

For me, as an indicator on when stock levels are normalized, I look a this bath tissue list on Costco. once it starts showing in stock most of the time, it will be normal. As it is, a few products show in stock for a couple hours then out again for a week:

https://www.costco.com/paper-products-food-storage.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Chicago in the city N. side.

We have been holed up a while. We have had 2 pickup groceries appointments so far, and one delivery to home. Minor substitution for a couple things like a generic for a brand name on cereal, all the veggies came sealed. We have a small amount of stuff more than normal on hand but within reason. We kind of buy weekly and have always had a little extra on hand. Son says I have always leaned a little prepper. Have another pickup scheduled Saturday. Hope for coke hope for coke...

I recently ran into an empty convenience store yesterday as spouse was craving a diet coke and I was out getting a couple hundred cash extra. I was wearing gloves carrying a disinfectant wipe and got 3 giving the clerk cash and told him to keep the change.
It seemed fully stocked. My first time out of apartment in ~2 weeks other than mail box run.

I had picked up a month or so extra supply of tp and paper towels early on and have offered to share with family who were traveling for work. Found disinfectant wipes at a dollar store a month or two ago when shelves were full and bought 5 or 6 and have given away several to friends and relatives. Had a few masks that I have also shared with friends and family who had to go out.

Regarding non critical purchases funny how that is working. Amazon delivered a seam ripper kit quickly like in a day.

Staples promised an Epson printer/scanner and said expect it next day free shipping when I bought it (delivery on 24th). Didn't come and not even sent to shipping on 24th. Per tracking shipped mar 25 to arrive 26th by ups. Old printer has been a workhorse and this is a newer smaller faster version of it on sale for 1/4 of what I paid for the old one.. go figure.

Have some Ebay stuff like DVDs dribbling in seems USPS still working.

Have a keyboard coming from new egg software shipped but to expect 5-7 day delivery from California.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tampa Bay area.

Just came home from a bicycle ride. Made an impulse stop at Aldi. No hand sanitizer, of course. But pretty well stocked on most everything else we saw, including fresh produce, on a quick trip through the aisles.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #44

I ordered on Amazon (I'm in New York City) orange juice (unrefrigerated Tropicana in 10oz plastic bottles) and envelopes. Last night the estimated delivery date was May 4. Today it was changed to May 14.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #45

Earlier today, around 9:30am, I was able to find a 6-pack of paper towels at a nearby Big Lots store. They also had a decent stock of TP, but they were completely sold out of disinfecting wipes and kitchen/surface disinfecting spray. I think I'll be able to get some of those wipes and sprays eventually if I keep checking back there around 9:00am every few days.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I made an emergency trip to our local, small grocery in Louisville, KY today. The wife was out of avocados, so we were in crisis mode in our house. Sunday the grocery was pretty bare. Today, it's very well stocked. Even several packages of toilet paper on the shelves. I was really surprised they got the place that well stocked so fast. Lots of bread, lunch meat, vegetables, etc.. The food hoarding may be about over.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

I just got an instacart order . Several substitutions but I got lots of meat , napkins ,eggs, bread and one package of frozen vegetables .No beans except canned .I got toilet paper from Amazon yesterday .So we are set !
Old 03-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The online stores like Walmart and Amazon are starting to get toilet paper in stock again. Usually it is off brands and large dispenser sized rolls but may be better no TP at all if your area is out of stock.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Did my first Walmart Grocery pickup time was 4pm - 5 pm.
they emailed me at 4pm to say it was ready.
I went and while there are about 10 parking spots, only 2 others were being used and they were nearly done when I arrived.
There were 4 items out of stock , and one substitute (nearly same and same brand).

I had 3 boxes set in the side of the van, so the guy just put them all in there.
I did see another couple, who said it was their first time using the service, both get out and stand beside the worker, while she handed the bags of stuff to the man

One issue I had was I don't have data on the phone, their backup is their app says to phone them to say I was there. I would have preferred texting them when I was there.

When I got home, I simply picked up the boxes as only "infected" inside them, and wearing gloves sprayed everything with bleach mixture in the sink and then rinsed off the bleach and put everything away, and washed my hands.

A few canned items, I left in 1 box and will let them age out the virus as they are not needed for a long time.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
How close are you to the heavily populated areas? The Walmart stores and Costco in Cedar Park, along with the HEB stores in Cedar Park and Leander are always short wanted items, and the Costco and HEB stores usually have lines out the door much of the day.

People lost their minds here weeks ago, and it hasn't let up much since. Most stores in the area have now implemented a limit to certain items because if they hadn't, people here would have continued their panic buying. The stores are well away from Austin, so I don't get the panic.
We are in a heavily populated area. There are eight Super Walmarts in a 15 mile radius of us. One Costco though.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

DMV area:

Went out early this morning. local Walmart out of TP, had about 10 packages of paper towels and a dozen packages of flour.

Then went to Costco. I was on line at 7:30 for their 8am-9am Old Folks Shopping Hour . the parking lot was still very empty. I was the 23rd person on line. They OPENED EARLY - at 7:40, when the line was about 50 people long, they started letting us in. IT WAS A TP PARADISE! several pallets wth toiler paper packages stacked 6 feet high. I humorously mentally felt like Scrooge McDuck diving into a pile of gold coins. Everyone was calm and not rushing. The limit was 2, but i observed almost everyone just buying 1. I saw them stop one person at the register who had 4 and remove 2 of them.

Other than hand sanitizer and paper towels, everything else seemed well stocked. I left at 8:07, and saw the parking lot was very full. A couple asked me how I was able to get out so quickly, I told them about the early opening and they were upset. I did assure them that in all likelihood they could still get what they needed so they hurried off.

I bought Costco gas, still no signs of gas shortage. The price was down to $1.69.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Western NY...
Walmart this morning. Actually looks almost normal. Shelves are starting to look stocked again. There was even TP (sign says only one package). Got some haddock, and chopped meat for a meatloaf. Hope these are signs of an improvement.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
DMV area:
You live in the Department of Motor Vehicles?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:10 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So he's accustomed to waiting in line.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
So he's accustomed to waiting in line.

OK Boomers .

The DMV is known as the DC/MD/VA area around the capital beltway. At least that is what my kids tell me.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #56

I've given up. It doesn't matter if you're part of the early crowd or later in the day, certain food items just haven't returned, or if they have, shoppers are snapping up as much as they are allowed. People in the Cedar Park / Leander, TX area have lost their collective minds. Most act like their shopping visit may be the last time they will ever see some of these food items.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #57

My county in Pa just got added to the 'stay-at-home' list (certain outings like food shopping and exercise allowed) last night, so I expect panic buying today. Since ANY announcement regarding the cov19 results in more panic buying, apparently. And 'normal' folks who will rush out and buy in order to beat the panic buyers to the store. Reminds me of a concept called 'pluralistic ignorance' they taught us back in Psych 101. (not exactly but similar)
Old 03-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
OK Boomers .

The DMV is known as the DC/MD/VA area around the capital beltway. At least that is what my kids tell me.
I thought that was DelMarVa. Am I out of date?
Old 03-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #59
Administrator

I've occasionally heard the military refer to it as the National Capital Region, but I've never before heard DMV (and both the young wife and I went to college and lived there).

Anyway, back on topic, I plan a grocery run for tomorrow mid-morning for fresh vegetables, milk and other perishables. I do try to second guess the herd. Last week, I guessed correctly and the store was almost empty of customers with plenty of remaining stock except for TP, pasta and a little low on meat. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. I've heard that the wealthy are fleeing NYC for their "country homes" in CT. There are a number of those in my town, so that could change the shopping dynamic.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

Anyway, back on topic, I plan a grocery run for tomorrow mid-morning for fresh vegetables, milk and other perishables. I do try to second guess the herd. Last week, I guessed correctly and the store was almost empty of customers with plenty of remaining stock except for TP, pasta and a little low on meat. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Just returned from Aldi's and had that same experience (got there about 10:15am). Lots of canned goods. Lots of fresh produce. Store was orderly and not very crowded. Every one was respectful of distance.

Will hit Fresh Thyme either early afternoon, or tomorrow morning. That should do us for 5-7 days.

St. Charles County MO
Closed Thread