Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Shopping and restocking updates
Old 03-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #1
Administrator

Shopping and restocking updates

There are so many posts across different threads about shopping, what the stores are like, how well stocked they are, and if ooptions such as pick up or home delivery are working, I thought we might be better informed with a dedicated thread. I'll go first.

Went for a grocery run this morning. Trade Joe was full, no place to park, and easily 30-40 people waiting in line, so I did'nt bother getting out of my car.

Target didn't have many shoppers. It also didn't have much to buy. Widely empty shelves, even for items their web site says they have in stock.

DW and I will try Publix later today.

Edit to add - South Florida
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #2

Kroger here (northern Kentucky) is about 90% back to normal, in terms of both stockage and customer traffic.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting that this is occurring in the lumpen slums of cyberspace. Perhaps folks should say where?

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken
Old 03-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday/Tuesday DW entered an order for curbside pickup at a local grocery store. After entering it, the web site told her that there were no pickup times available and suggested that she check back. This morning she did go back and now has a scheduled pickup time for next Monday. Seven days out!
Old 03-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Winn Dixie same way. Out of a ton of stuff this morning. Mississippi.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Interesting that this is occurring in the lumpen slums of cyberspace. Perhaps folks should say where?
+1
Helps to know which State.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Good point, my post is edited.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here in Bradenton, FL, we have a somewhat older population. Many stores like Publix, Costco, etc, have implemented "senior hours" starting early before the official opening. The problem is they are too successful. I went to the Costco about 15 minutes before senior hour this morning and there was a line of old folks wrapping around the parking lot. So I continued on to Walmart, which surprisingly had no crowds and plenty of stuff, sans TP. I'm thinking things are going to lighten up in the coming days as all those paycheck-to-paycheck and out of work folks start to run out of money. Only then will supply exceed demand.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'm trying the Walmart pickup for the first time.
Yesterday I logged in (already had a Walmart account) and filled up my order list of $52.
While I was filling the list, which takes some time to find each thing, my milk entry in the list changed to "out of stock".
There were no available pickup times, but it kept my list.

This morning at 8am local time I logged back in, and my list was still there and the milk that was out of stock was back in stock within my list.
So I started checkout, and there was 3 time slots, for tomorrow

I'm all set for 4pm - 5 pm time slot Wed. (seems a wide time slot to me)
Old 03-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #10

Here in Northern Va

Many local stores have begun "senior hours" a couple of days a week, first thing:

Walmart:

Visited at 630 AM during senior hours. Was able to pickup eggs and TP that were stockout at other times. Most things in stock but asking you to limit quantities. Lots of produce. Not too crowded but more than I expected. Dude policing the door I thought was gonna make me produce ID ( yes, I am over 60).

Harris Teeter:

Pretty well stocked except eggs, TP. Cooking oils low, same with flour and other baking goods. Saw note on door that they are doing senior hours. Was not nearly as busy which I enjoyed.

Costco:

This is the worst. Too crowded and people don't always maintain distance. Most things in stock (went right after they opened). Some meats sold out. Asked you to limit meat quantities.

The grocery stores are doing crazy business!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #11

I have tried online at Safeway, Walmart, Amazon/whole foods, Fred meyer(Kroger)
All are more than a week out for either pick up or delivery, depending on company.
I have had better luck going to our local Safeway or Walmart right at opening time.
Still finding it virtually impossible to get refills of TP, clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, and frequently bleach is out. Luckily, I have some stocked from previous.
Some Fresh meats, eggs, bread random if they are in stock or not.
I am trying very hard not to go to the store more than once every 7-10 days, if nothing else to grab a carton of milk. I can not find any dry milk powder.
Northern Oregon area
Old 03-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Used Instacart today north of Portland. Put in order yesterday PM, it arrived at about 9 AM today. Fee was $3.99 plus tip. Got almost everything on list, a few veggies were upgraded to organic. Needless to say, very happy with the convenience and service.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #13

Our preferred store is a LIDL only a short (~5 minutes) drive away.

No "older people or persons at risk" reserved hours there.

DW had no problems picking up all the basics we wanted this morning, right after they opened @0800,

Few people, at least that early.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #14

Yesterday I drove by our local grocery store at 10:30am - parking lot full and the line was around the corner of the building (probably 75 people, practicing social distancing). I'm holding off as long as possible to go back, probably Friday or Saturday. Austin TX
Old 03-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #15

Sunday I went to Costco (Bend, Or). It was normal busy. I think I went shortly after opening (10:00 am). Got my stuff. TP of course is out. The bagels were in a different spot & packaged differently. Costco is good about covering up out of stock items with even more items

Monday I went back to Costco because I forgot 2 items. Same time. That's when I saw "Senior" hours. cr*p. I hate to take advantage of Senior hours because I don't feel Senior. But Drivers license don't lie. Store traffic was way down. Waited 1 person in self checkout. The store leave check line was a bit longish but just as I get up there another checker comes on & we move right along

I am still looking for TP. But I "know a guy". My back door neighbor works afternoon at Costco so he's going to keep an eye out. I will make a early run to Costco and see if anything is in. The late Mrs Scrapr would have been in I told you so heaven during this time. She had back stock on everything. I have been working down the hoard

edit: NSFW I am down to 3 rolls back stock! Mission critical now. I'm getting up early for a Costco run.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #16

Sorry I don't have a link or location, but I read a news article this morning regarding Costco posting "no return" policies on TP, rice, beans etc.

In the article, it was observed that at least at that time and at that location, there were no lines AND there was plenty of TP on the shelves...

so there might be ray of sunshine out there somewhere.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Probably very region specific. In NC.

Local Whole Foods was out of all the popular hoarding items, and surprisingly the food item shelves (as opposed to personal items like soap, lotions) were half empty throughout much of the store. Was busier than normal but not nuts. Of course hot table and prepared foods almost completely shut down, bakery and pizza were the only active services?

Local Harris Teeter and Publix about the same as Whole Foods. Out of common hoarding items and low on all sorts of food items, but not as low as Whole Foods - they were at least half empty on most food items.

In contrast to the post above about Costco, our local Costco is the most organized and proactive store around. They actively clean everything constantly, and keep people apart as much as they can when people are queuing up for shopping carts, checking out. Busy but they move people along faster than most stores. And they post what they’re out of at the front door so people know without going in to look. I was quite impressed.

Haven’t been to Target in over a week, soon though.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I’m in DC on Capitol Hill. My DIL has been in the nearby Giant and Harris Teeter and both were close to normal. I have been to Eastern Market- a block long building with butchers, seafood, deli, etc and they were normally stocked. Trader Joe’s had a small line as they limited how many people could be inside but DIL says they are well stocked. The Costco is reportedly slammed. I’m not planning to find out for myself.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #19

60 miles north of NYC paper products in most stores and hand sanitizer in all stores are not in stock, also limits on some items. Otherwise, just another day.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

San Antonio. Im doing online only. Wal-Mart order no eggs, bread or milk and very few cans available. They did not appear to even try to get my items requested outside of groceries I.e. I need some screws. I doubt there was a run on packaged screws.
HEB is the local chain. Picked up curbside yesterday. Also no bread milk eggs. I had another order in for a future date and they cancelled it I noticed last night. Went in and built out an incredibly large order for 2 weeks hence. Makes no sense to me that if they have no milk NOW why I cant request it for THEN. Also, no deletions and only 4 additions allowed. So I have apples and bananas coming out of my ears. And may be I won't need some of that stuff in 2 weeks. But maybe i will do I clicked "buy" or whatever
Closed Thread