Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 10:36 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So you think people wear masks because they’re scared? Maybe they are wearing masks out of consideration for other people.
i have no idea why all people wear masks but i’m certain that some do wear them out of fear based on comments in the various forums i read.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 10:59 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
We'll all die of something. Living in fear is no life.
Good luck to you that live your life in fear. After 40 years running and starting businesses I fear nothing at all.
By all means, head to your nearest airport and start licking doorknobs.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 05-31-2020, 11:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

When I'm in public buildings, I wear
a mask.
When I drive my car, I wear seatbelt.
I guess I'm just funny that way.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:54 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I'm gonna wear my mask for my next driver license photo.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:55 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Darwinism will take care of those not wearing masks and also not maintaining distance. The rest of us can just hope we don’t catch it from them.
Like many other ‘personal choice’ actions - I’d agree with this if we didn’t have to chip in substantially for their health care...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-01-2020, 06:15 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I don't fear it and will live life, but I'm not going to be stupid about it either, and not take all safety avenues I can.
+1 There is a thin line between prudence and paranoia... I try my best to stay onsides.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-01-2020, 07:02 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Darwinism will take care of those not wearing masks and also not maintaining distance. The rest of us can just hope we don’t catch it from them.
Like many other ‘personal choice’ actions - I’d agree with this if we didn’t have to chip in substantially for their health care...
The other people they unknowingly infect may well suffer the most.

That’s what it really comes down to - the asymptomatic super spreaders. Behaving responsibly means that we try not to expose other people.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Sad.

We’ll continue to wear masks in public, wash hands/use hand sanitizer, keep our distance (regardless of others), do takeout instead of dine in and consolidate trips out.

The precautions aren’t at all difficult to observe, and there’s still plenty we don’t know about SARS2, it’s sad most people already don’t care anymore.
Thank you for being responsible.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We don't wear masks, we don't own masks, and when we get curbside pickups we stand well away.

We walk, and avoid close contact with other people, as they do with us.

In fact I don't believe I've seen more than 8-10 people around here wearing masks, and they were mainly service personnel.

Oh...DW chuckled the other day when she noticed a woman kneeling and weeding her own garden while wearing a mask and swim goggles.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This thread illustrates that altruism may not be dead but it is definitely on a ventilator.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #31

Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised when the lockdowns began, people really were staying home judging by traffic and businesses did close. In essential stores and elsewhere more and more people were wearing masks, maintaining distance with/out floor marks and using hand sanitizer.

Then we started reopening phase 1 on May 8, and phase 2 on May 22. It wasn’t readily apparent at first - but it’s very clear now. We’re seeing fewer and fewer masks and over half the people don’t seem to care about distancing.

Employees are wearing masks, marks on the floor and plexiglass has gone up many places. Some businesses are seriously enforcing, some don’t seem to care at all - evidently it’s window dressing for some...

Sad.

We’ll continue to wear masks in public, wash hands/use hand sanitizer, keep our distance (regardless of others), do takeout instead of dine in and consolidate trips out.

The precautions aren’t at all difficult to observe, and there’s still plenty we don’t know about SARS2, it’s sad most people already don’t care anymore.
Midpack, I think the reason why folks are the way they are is the fact that the virus isn't a bogey man anymore. At first we thought it was a bioweapon that escaped from a despot lab in China, and was going to kill 3 million people. We were told it was't the flu, that people would dropping like flies, and wreak havoc on civilization. People have found out that it is no worse than the flu, most of the cases occurred in nursing homes, and all havoc is self inflicted. After a trip to my local Med Express yesterday for a foreign body in my eye, the doctor said that it has turned into a big nothing burger. 75% of the cases in their office have been mild or asymptomatic. None of his cases have been hospitalized. We have been at 139 cases, 5 deaths for a 212,000 population, for almost 2 weeks now. Most people wear masks here, but now that weather is nice, people don't see the threat, I know I don't. And I haven't felt threatened since this all began.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:21 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Oh...DW chuckled the other day when she noticed a woman kneeling and weeding her own garden while wearing a mask and swim goggles.
That gardener may well have recently discovered that wearing a mask and goggles prevents her allergies.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

After the last few days, I figure memories will get refreshed good and hard in most major cities in about 6 weeks. Bon chance!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This thread illustrates that altruism may not be dead but it is definitely on a ventilator.
I agree. Not much evidence here (or elsewhere) of an effort to understand other people’s points of view, lots of talking past each other, a very selective use of facts combined with lots of truthiness, and an energetic excess describing views and behavior of others using terms that are demeaning.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That gardener may well have recently discovered that wearing a mask and goggles prevents her allergies.
Oh, there are many possibilities; DW just said that it looked amusing, whatever the rationale.

(Seeing someone walking down the road in a Donald Duck suit might look funny, but they could be off to entertain sick children through a window...the motive does not affect the observation.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-01-2020, 07:58 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have seen guys on motorcycle going at 70mph on i-75 without helmet and windshield. I guess those guys are not going to wear mask.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #37

There are several reasons, probably as many as there are individuals making the choice.
* One big reason is certainly crisis fatigue. "To hell with it, I'll take my chances".
* The outright stupidity of some of the lockdown rules cost TPTB a lot of credibility... arresting people for being alone on an empty beach/playground/camp ground
The local mayor determined the rules for restaurants to re-open via a public poll on Facebook!!!
* Another credibility killer was this started out as a 14 day lock down. Now its indefinite and "until we have a vaccine". Nope... not going to play this game for another 18months to 5 years. We'll starve before then.
* The mask thing was a deal breaker for many for a lot of sub-reasons. From comfort/annoyance to down right ignorance of the intended purpose of the masks. Some think that because its not 100% protection its worthless.

I could go one, but I'll skip to my personal reasons:
I was an "early adopter" of the crisis back when it was in China only, even before it was on the cruise ships. I was a town crier that people weren't taking this seriously enough. When it hit US shores, one of the memorable news items was of a 30-40something year old male in NYC that dropped dead on the street after leaving an ER.

Now... from the data I've seen I've come full circle around to this was one big over reaction (discounting hoax and intentional theories) that the authorities are either embarrassed to admit or the local yokels are enjoying the power trip.

Two states (that I've found) published stats showing the average age of death was in the upper 70's, the co-morbidity info, etc. Certainly we need to quarantine nursing homes and the elderly/at risk need to take precautions. Society needs to help protect those at risk by providing services so they can quarantine effectively.

But this isn't an extinction of the human race event that it was originally portrayed to be. Given the number of people who test positive with NO symptoms (allegedly 35%?), the number of people who have minor stay at home flu symptoms, vs. the number of people who actually need to be in a hospital suggests to me that shutting down the economy and racking up all this debt was one big over reaction.

We are now shutting off our food supply closing meat packing plants based on people who "test positive" even though they may be completely asymptomatic. I don't want to see another "X tested positive" statistic in the news because that metric does not include how many even had symptoms... tell me how many people are actually hospitalized.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/07/85171...id-19-patients

Quote:
Pennsylvania virus stats:
avg age of virus death: 79
68% of deaths came out of assisted living/eldercare type environments.
11% did NOT have "comorbidities" such as diabetes, HBP, etc.
Out of 37,000 hospital beds, 7% are occupied by CV patients.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #38

Not only short memeories, but actively rewriting history.
People were dying in hospital hallways.
100,000+ are dead.
Health care professionals were wearing garbage bags for PPE.
Masks are still being rationed for those HCPs.
And someone aboves doctors says it's all much ado about nothing? I'd get me a new doctor.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
People have found out that it is no worse than the flu, most of the cases occurred in nursing homes, and all havoc is self inflicted.
I have not learned that this is no worse than the flu; I don't ever recall the flu causing 100k deaths in a 4 month period of time. We still don't know a lot about this virus.

And, according to this article, 42% of deaths are from nursing homes and assisted living facilities - that does not constitute most deaths.

https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nurs...s-3a47433c3f70
Old 06-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #40

Short memories? Lack of reading comprehension? Something's going on, but I don't know what it is. In early May, major businesses near me had professionally made signs/banners posted/affixed at their entrances asking customers to please wear a mask when entering. You couldn't miss them. Most customers wore masks. By late May, those signs were gone and only about 50% of customers wore masks.

At DD's workplace, every table has a professionally made large round colored sign affixed to the surface. You can't miss them. The green signs say that this table is available and is regularly cleaned and sanitized. The yellow signs say that this table is unavailable and thank you for social distancing. Yet, customers will sit wherever they want. They are social distancing when choosing their tables, so at least they're being mindful of that aspect. She told me once when the dining room was empty, a woman chose a table that had the yellow sign. On both sides of her were tables with green signs. DD isn't allowed to ask customers to move from a "wrong" table to a "right" table. So she makes sure that she cleans and sanitizes all the tables anyway.

They also have large green social distancing markers on the floor. It's getting steadily busier, so they sometimes have a few customers standing in a line. Some people stand on the markers. Others stand wherever they want, too close to the other customers. The social distancing markers are also marked One Way with an arrow. The professionally printed signs at the main door direct customers to move in one direction through the restaurant when entering and exiting. They don't pay attention. They enter and exit through whatever door they want to.

Sitting at the "right" table, entering through one door and exiting through a different door, are such easy things to do. Defiance? Force of habit? I don't know. I don't feel especially inconvenienced by making a few simple adjustments.

On my trip to Walmart last week, I noticed most people obeying the one way traffic arrows, but maybe that was just a coincidence at the time I happened to be there. I only noticed it because it was odd to see so many people doing that.

Maybe a lot of people don't understand that it's not necessarily the idea of a particular business to mandate these things. It's the government mandating that businesses do these things as a condition of reopening.
Closed Thread