Short Memories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only short memeories, but actively rewriting history.
People were dying in hospital hallways.
100,000+ are dead.
Health care professionals were wearing garbage bags for PPE.
Masks are still being rationed for those HCPs.
And someone aboves doctors says it's all much ado about nothing? I'd get me a new doctor.

PPE shortage:
surgeries where being postponed back in January when corona was still just a bad beer.
https://www.wagmtv.com/content/news...e-leads-to-postponed-surgeries-567250971.html

100K dead:
True. and will go higher. but the statistic is also wobbly because places like Washington state where counting ANY death, where the victim tested positive for corona despite not being diagnosed until autopsy after being shot.

People dying in hallways: I heard that in Italy. There where suggestions of it in NYC and even a report of people dropping dead in the street.
Yet look at all the emergency hospitals that were setup and then torn down after not being used (see the NPR link in my previous post). The hospital ship USNS Comfort left NY over a month ago and only treating 77 patients.
I hear more reports of hospitals laying off staff due to empty beds than I heard of shortages of dr/nurses, especially if NY is taken out of the data.
With most deaths coming out of eldercare facilities and NY facilities ordered to violate quarantine to take hospital discharges its no surprise NY had horror stories of people dying in hallways.
And notice how we don't hear about a ventilator shortage any more.

[mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've genuinely wondered about this idea some have that people always have a choice to stay home. I've seen news reports of nurses in tears who are begging people to stay home, sometimes angrily. I've seen pictures of them holding up signs that read something like, I Go To Work For You, Now You Stay Home For Me. Granted, those things are out of context and maybe they're talking about patients who have been out partying in large groups unnecessarily or something. Does the nurse who posted that really think that working has been a choice for everyone else?
That post was part of an earlier discussion in the pandemic. I posted it as a reminder of the treatment one will receive if they fall into the category of needing a ventilator. I'm medically challenged so I did not realize what takes place on a ventilator. I think her message geared towards wearing a mask to protect others.

This has been my main thought for several weeks now. I don't believe this was a typical flu. Probably closer to the Hong Kong Flu of 1968-69 than usual. But some of the early estimates, like 1.2-1.4 million deaths in the US alone with strict social distancing (which we never came close to doing), may end up being off by a factor of 8-10.

The part that I find disconcerting is that the medical community by and large still doesn't have a solid grasp of this virus. Consensus keeps changing. I recall some of the earlier discussions saying the virus could survive on a surface for a long time. That sent people into a panic. Recently, they've indicated not so much, that most of the transfer is from person-to-person.

What I'm watching now is South Korea. According to many, one of the models for how we were supposed to react to the virus as a society. They opened up their schools recently, only to see an immediate spike in cases, their biggest in weeks. Their schools have been shut down again. It is almost as if this virus is not going away until it was made its way through most of the population.

Yeah the South Korea is an interesting example.
I like Fauci for example, but he has been all over the place with predicted deaths as one example.
Back to the SK reference, I asked my friend, so they open the schools here again and there is 1 case of COVID in that school, so what next?
Crickets....

Some stores opening here - went up to Canada's largest Automotive/Hardware/Etc chain, (Canadian Tire), to pick up a curbside order; parking lot about 3/4 full, people lined up for limited numbers access.

DW then went to the adjacent equally restricted garden centre, so I sat in the car and watched what was going on.

All very cordial and orderly outside the main store, with spacing observed....figure not more than 10%, perhaps somewhat less, were masked.

[-]100K[/-]
106,507 dead: True. and will go higher. but the statistic is also wobbly because places like Washington state where counting ANY death, where the victim tested positive for corona despite not being diagnosed until autopsy after being shot.

[mod edit]

Fixed It For You .
Oh wait, gotta subtract that gunshot guy.. 106,507 dead -1 = 106,506 dead

Is it short memory or is it just pure stubbornness. Neighbor who I thought was a sensible woman is having an open house grad party Friday night around 175 invited. State guidelines are at the small family gathering only stage as of now.

Our rural county has a meat plant and in the last 30 days has gone from around 6 cases to close to 600. Local businessman just got off 20 days on a vent, the local banker is in the ICU and not doing well. They closed the small town bank around 5 miles from here because the banker made so many staff sick they just closed up. Including my SIL's sister.

Neighbor will have no social distancing available and will be serving buffet style. For the last year we have been talking about this party and I was more then willing to help her with everything. I tried to talk her out of this since mid April but she's not even seeing this could be a PROBLEM...

So I simply declined to be involved in any of it, meal planning, meal prep, meal serving, I don't care. I don't want anyone, anywhere thinking that I in any way agree this is OK. I consider her a friend, right now a stupid clueless friend. I'm pretty sure she's not too happy with me bailing on her but IDGAD...

Last edited:
Since we go green on Friday, we are not allowed to have any planned or spontaneous gatherings greater than 250. What other kind of gatherings are there? So I guess I have to skywrite invitations...to the neighborhood "Burn your mask" BBQ!

This has been my main thought for several weeks now. I don't believe this was a typical flu. Probably closer to the Hong Kong Flu of 1968-69 than usual. But some of the early estimates, like 1.2-1.4 million deaths in the US alone with strict social distancing (which we never came close to doing), may end up being off by a factor of 8-10.
Maybe not. Most estimates say that countrywide, we have currently 3-5% of folks positive for antibodies. If you go for herd immunity, then we have a factor of 15 to 20 to go from our current 100k, which puts us at 1.5 to 2M deaths, very similar to original estimates.

If we get a vaccine and go with the current "burn rate" covering April/May of 50k per month, then if the vaccine takes 1.5 years, that puts you close to 1M. And that assumes rates don't go up when opening up continues, if it does we may reach immunity before vaccine.

ok-ok-r6dqco.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom