Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Snowbirding / 2nd home changed forever?
Old 05-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Snowbirding / 2nd home changed forever?

"I'll just hop on a plane when I am cold". Short flight to our 2nd home we can visit all the time prevailed a lot of us northerners way of thinking.

Has lockdown changed this model for good? No dog in this hunt as I am years away but snowbirding was something I considered. Not sure now. Sure we will all get back on planes one day but in the face of a virus like this locking us down on short notice any year it loses a little appeal for sure.

And owning a 2nd home that required a plane trip seems even more stressful.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most Florida snowbirds (that I know about; of course they vary) drive to and fro. To fly, means either renting a car or maintaining one in FL year-round (which, again, some do).

In the Orlando area, entire towns consist of purpose-built vacation houses. Those houses have been empty since the governor shut down all vacation rentals, to try to discourage northerners and foreigners fleeing COVID-19; he is under high pressure to open them up again.

Many are here for 6 months and one day and acquire FL driver licenses, to establish "residency" and avoid state income taxes. If FL has to institute a state income tax to make up for the huge budget shortfalls we are now incurring, that might dissuade some snowbirds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckinalong View Post
"I'll just hop on a plane when I am cold". Short flight to our 2nd home we can visit all the time prevailed a lot of us northerners way of thinking.

Has lockdown changed this model for good? No dog in this hunt as I am years away but snowbirding was something I considered. Not sure now. Sure we will all get back on planes one day but in the face of a virus like this locking us down on short notice any year it loses a little appeal for sure.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We didn’t get down to Florida this year because of DFIL’s cancer treatments. We thought we might get down for a couple weeks in between, but then the virus hit. DW is thinking maybe we should sell it since her dad shouldn’t be left alone now. I’m thinking the same thing, but no decisions made. But if we do sell it, I’m getting a dog!
Old 05-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Over the years various illnesses have cancelled vacations or ruined them while in process just a fact of life. This situation overall makes booking and assuming future vacations can happen much more unpredictable at best and not something that can be counted on as easily perhaps.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

+1 in that my experience most snowbirds drive... especially the younger snowbirds.

We snowbird in Florida and just returned home (driving). Vermont requires people returning from out-of-state to self-quarantine for 14 days. We're in a pretty rural area so it hasn't been hard so far. The local grocery store is taking orders by phone for curbside pickup so that helps a lot.

We were planning to become Florida residents in 2020 and probably will still do so. For us, the property tax, homestead credits and Medigap savings are offset by higher auto insurance and are a wash.... so the net benefit is income tax savings... not life changing but not chump change either.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

a) you probably have to drive. Most snowbirds do anyway.

b) bring your supplies and groceries with you, because you might have to self-quarantine at your destination.

Those a very doable even now. Many snowbirds use RVs which makes it even safer to travel long distances.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh sure, though there are a lot of people that fly in and look forward to not quarantining and living a rum soaked life for a few months out at a restaurant. Sitting 10ft away from everyone with a mask changes the equation if nothing else.

The idea is not gone but certainly looks a lot different for many. That has a lot of financial implications for the region if nothing else.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Virus or not, dealing with cold, snow, ice and endless cloudy days is going to continue to suck - and draw people to warmer weather. There's nothing quite like the endorphin release I get when watching northern weather forecasts in January from a waterfront seat under a swaying palm tree, dressed in shorts and flip flops. I almost felt guilty once.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have in fact theorized that 2nd homes will be MORE in demand now that lockdowns have been experienced. You probably can travel to your 2nd home even if hotels etc are shut down.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having lived as an expat in Mexico for ~5 years I can say that the pandemic is already changing the landscape in popular expat havens down there pretty radically. They've gone from being in a major real estate and rental market price bubble that started right after Trump took office and has been accelerating ever since to sharp price declines and a great deal of uncertainty. Of course for most folks Mexico is a get-on-a-plane destination *(though a surprising number of American and Canadians still do drive).

But I do think this situation argues for living in a place where leaving seasonally feels optional rather than mandatory. We're sunbirds (or sweatbirds) who live in Tucson and flee to cooler climes for 3-4 months each summer and that option still seems like it's likely to be open to us going forward.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Now wait a minute. Where do you see that? I have dozens of palm trees, and they all do their swaying stark naked. Same with the neighbors' trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
from a waterfront seat under a swaying palm tree, dressed in shorts and flip flops.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

we snowbird in our motor home and if the park in Arizona is open next year i suspect we'll be on the road.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 05-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I have in fact theorized that 2nd homes will be MORE in demand now that lockdowns have been experienced. You probably can travel to your 2nd home even if hotels etc are shut down.
+1, I agree. And as others have said, most folks drive to their southern destination, including us.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:27 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Now wait a minute. Where do you see that? I have dozens of palm trees, and they all do their swaying stark naked. Same with the neighbors' trees.
Neighborhood covenants!
Old 05-14-2020, 04:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

After there is a vaccine, thing could be normal again.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:51 AM   #16

How do snowbirds handle health insurance if you're on ACA? Can you just switch to another state and switch back? My insurance doesn't cover out of state.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:07 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

That is an issue... you need to be aware of that and shop for policies that provide out-of-state coverage when you are buying or changing during open enrollment.

I think you can only change to another state if you actually move (change residency... drivers license, voting, homestead, etc).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-14-2020, 05:50 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
How do snowbirds handle health insurance if you're on ACA? Can you just switch to another state and switch back? My insurance doesn't cover out of state.
The vast majority of snowbirds are 65+
Old 05-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Agreed. We were future snowbirds and put in a couple of offers last August at a active adult community in Florida. Fortunately (with perfect hindsight), none were accepted. Currently those home are still unsold and prices have dropped below our rejected offer prices.

It is no longer a priority for us and we will wait to see how the dust settles. A stay-at-home order really reduces the attractiveness of the adult community lifestyle. A Florida income tax would make it less likely we would relocate permanently.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

True! Some started younger, though. I have met some who are a ways from Medicare.

I don't know anything about the ACA per se. However, with a plan that limits you to "in-network" facilities, a younger snowbird might need to limit medical visits to emergencies only.
Closed Thread