Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #61
Dryer sheet wannabe

Good idea!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
They don’t look like they are standing 6 feet from each other. So much for social distancing.
Yes, it seems it's not really going to solve that problem. Another pitfall is that some items aren't stocked by outside vendors until sometime later in the morning, like bread. Then the bread, for example, gets sold out throughout the rest of the day and the shelves are empty again for the senior shopping hour.

Solution? Crackers. Lots and lots of crackers.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For bread, the solution is flour and yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
Yes, it seems it's not really going to solve that problem. Another pitfall is that some items aren't stocked by outside vendors until sometime later in the morning, like bread. Then the bread, for example, gets sold out throughout the rest of the day and the shelves are empty again for the senior shopping hour.

Solution? Crackers. Lots and lots of crackers.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For about six months now DW has been sourdough bread making, (even joined an international sourdough blog)..............the bread's superb, and we have lots of "fixins".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Not at my Walmart today. No flour, no sugar. I don't know about the yeast. Making homemade yeast bread has been a failing of mine. I just can't get it right. I can do quick breads though.
So..."Let Elderly People Shop Early" - what's "Elderly"?
Old 03-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

So..."Let Elderly People Shop Early" - what's "Elderly"?

We shopped senior shopping this morning at Jewel. The cashier said that they can’t stop non-seniors from shopping during senior hours - jewel is just requesting that shoppers honor a program by which seniors can shop more safely. Lots of folks in there. Almost all seniors.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We shopped senior shopping this morning at Jewel. The cashier said that they can’t stop non-seniors from shopping during senior hours - jewel is just requesting that shoppers honor a program by which seniors can shop more safely. Lots of folks in there. Almost all seniors.
I encountered the same at my local 'super' grocery store. They can't/won't enforce the senior hours. The store was quite crowded with the shelves mostly empty or sparse that I left and went to a smaller store. Very few people and I got everything I needed except the couple of things I forgot. Was going to go back later in the day but DH convinced me the items were of no importance and I could get them when I went out next Monday or Tuesday to replenish the produce. He was right...this time .
Local Costco to offer senior shopping
Old 03-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Local Costco to offer senior shopping

I stopped by my local Costco today and was told that they will offer seniors only (60+) access to the store starting at 8am on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #69

I just had a rude awakening. I was planning to do curbside pickup of my grocery order today. All emails said everything was fine, but on arrival found that all online orders were cancelled.

So I went to another store and found the "25 customers at a time" protocol in place. Fortunately this was a not-as-traveled location and the line outside remained orderly and well space (6-10 ft between me and my nearest neighbor). After 10 minutes they let our little group in. 25 at a time seemed about right as I never ended up having to get near anyone else. A couple of aisle passes led to transient 3-4 foot separation (for maybe 0.5 sec). I can live with that risk.

That said, many of the shelves were fairly bare. Of course paper products and disinfectants were gone, as were eggs, most bread and most canned goods. Frozen foods and, most crucially, fresh fruit and vegetables were well stocked, however. So the trip (my first venture out of the house in 4 days) was worth it.

The new normal is kinda scary.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We didn't go to the early morning senior shopping time, this morning. But, this was a photo of it. It apparently wrapped all around the store and down the block. I was surprised.
There was no line outside when I went for seniors shopping this morning but produce, eggs, meat and poultry were non existent. I picked up some milk, juice and a few other items and when I got to checkout the lines were ten shoppers long. I was about to leave the store without purchasing anything when I noticed the self checkout area was clear. I checked out and decided the experience wasn't worth it.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
There was no line outside when I went for seniors shopping this morning but produce, eggs, meat and poultry were non existent. I picked up some milk, juice and a few other items and when I got to checkout the lines were ten shoppers long. I was about to leave the store without purchasing anything when I noticed the self checkout area was clear. I checked out and decided the experience wasn't worth it.
I went shopping at Walmart this morning, and the meat and dairy departments were pretty slim pickings. No ground beef, but for some reason the $25-$50 packages of steaks were well stocked. I wandered through the store and eventually found everything on my list except hamburger and, for some reason, sauerkraut. When I went through the meat dept there was no chicken either, but I wandered back that way before I left and they were putting out packages of boneless breasts and bone-in thighs. I got some of each and left. But even though the stores are opening later and closing earlier to allow better stocking, they obviously aren't getting the store stocked overnight.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:37 PM   #72

I went to Trader Joe’s this morning at opening. There were about 100 people in line. They said they could only let 60 people in the store at one time. People in line were standing really close to each other. The woman behind me was standing about 12 inches from me. I reminded her we are supposed to stay six feet from each other. She said Oh yeah...and then moved another 6 inches further back. People just don’t get it.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

About the only place I see the truly elderly is at Aldi's. They love to put their carts up against the glass fridges and freezers blocking us younger retirees from getting around them. That's the store I'm into speed shopping at.
It takes too much walking to get to the electric shopping carts at Walmart. You'll see a few at Dollar General, however.
It's okay for the old folks to go in early to do their shopping--if it'll mean I can breeze thru the store at 9:00 am without'em clogging up the checkout stands.
Wait a minute. I'm going to be 70 next month. But I'm certainly not that kind of elderly.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:02 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, the water thing is weird like the TP thing. The local water here good, really good. I had a person from Tahoe tell me it was good.

But the water shelves at the super are empty. Lotta fear.

And that makes me rejoice as my lost dough will flow back to me just like the water in the city pipes.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I just went onto walmart.com and put in "flour, home delivery" and got nothing but weird types of flour that aren't really flour.

So, yeah, $#!+ is getting real. In FL I'm wary of customers who could be carrying concealed weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
Not at my Walmart today. No flour, no sugar. I don't know about the yeast. Making homemade yeast bread has been a failing of mine. I just can't get it right. I can do quick breads though.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:38 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, the water thing is weird like the TP thing. The local water here good, really good. I had a person from Tahoe tell me it was good.

But the water shelves at the super are empty. Lotta fear.

And that makes me rejoice as my lost dough will flow back to me just like the water in the city pipes.
The great news is that I realized that those 5 gallon water bottles were an option. Water is not good for drinking at DFs house. A bit disconcerting that so many folks are hoarding bottled water.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #77
Gone but not forgotten

Our fresh market has made the first hour for seniors and people with disabilities . I am not sure if I will go then or just regular hours since it is mostly overpriced but very few people .
Old 03-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #78
Dryer sheet wannabe

All this must be hitting farmers too. Fresh produce can't stay fresh for very long.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Ummm... no.
Now days you need 2 people, 1 to shop and 1 to watch the cart so nobody uses your cart as available stock from which to fill their cart while your back is turned.
Seriously? Really?

I've lost faith in us. This really bums me out to hear.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #80

There are no production shortages, just that demand exceeds supplies in the pipeline. In theory, this should balance out. Soon? Later?
Closed Thread

Tags
covid-19, elderly, old people, shopping