Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Sobering interview with top epidemiologist
Old 06-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sobering interview with top epidemiologist

Dan Buettner of Blue Zones interviews epidemiologist Dr. Osterholm.

"In short, Dr. Osterholm is arguably one of the most dependable, non-political sources for straight answers on what COVID-19 means to us and our world in the immediate future. In his 2017 book, Deadliest Enemy, he correctly foretells a global pandemic and offers the best strategy for fighting it now and avoiding it in the future."

Dr. O is not impressed with the utility of basic cloth masks. Scary potential future death rates too.

https://www.bluezones.com/2020/06/co...-the-pandemic/

omni
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Of course not, they are full of holes and way more "show" than "go"

Slightly better than nothing.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:52 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Omni,

Great article. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Dan Buettner of Blue Zones interviews epidemiologist Dr. Osterholm.

"In short, Dr. Osterholm is arguably one of the most dependable, non-political sources for straight answers on what COVID-19 means to us and our world in the immediate future. In his 2017 book, Deadliest Enemy, he correctly foretells a global pandemic and offers the best strategy for fighting it now and avoiding it in the future."

Dr. O is not impressed with the utility of basic cloth masks. Scary potential future death rates too.

https://www.bluezones.com/2020/06/co...-the-pandemic/

omni
Old 06-16-2020, 02:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Of course not, they are full of holes and way more "show" than "go"

Slightly better than nothing.
Twice as good according to him.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:21 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Omni550 thank you for linking such a ggod article. Dr Osterholm seems like a pragmatic, clear thinker. Very objective. This is the best set of predictions and suggestions I have seen.

I am glad to hear him comment about the preferred leadership style to help us navigate this situation. i would like to see leadership that brings us together. And statements from the leadership that can be believed.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:59 AM   #6

Thank you Omni for this article. It is a scary prediction, but I'd rather know the real risks and likely future, then move blindly forward. I am disappointed by his sober predictions on a vaccine, both in terms of its realistic timeline, as well as the limited likelihood that it will provide a total cure.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

That's a great read- thanks! I'm always looking for sober, balanced reports from credible experts. In the end, I figure that I'd better use my own brain to make decisions because *I* will bear the consequences of those decisions. Info such as this, including honest admission of what we don't know, helps.

And it confirms my decision to continue my outdoor bicycle rides rather than go back to the gym even though the gym opened yesterday.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Wow. I’ve seen him before on other sites.
Quote:
We can expect between 800,000 and 1.6 million Americans to die in the next 18 months if we don’t have a successful vaccine.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-16-2020, 06:29 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Good article but, I would like to hear more about how he thinks we should "thread the needle" between lock down and Katie bar the door open. The two take-aways I got clearly are that I won't get Covid on the bike path and I shouldn't start having inside dinner parties.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:04 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Omni,

Great article. Thank you.
+1
Old 06-16-2020, 07:25 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Good article but, I would like to hear more about how he thinks we should "thread the needle" between lock down and Katie bar the door open. The two take-aways I got clearly are that I won't get Covid on the bike path and I shouldn't start having inside dinner parties.
Agree that that would have been nice, but is that really his job? I'm thinking that that is more the job of an economist than a scientist. He's laid out the science, now we all have to figure out what economic cost we are willing to bear while getting to herd immunity.

What I am getting from this article (which I read three times) is that the virus is pretty much unstoppable and people will continue to die from it, so the best we can do is try and manage the pace of infection in order to ensure our health system doesn't collapse under it's weight. So for that reason alone I will continue to physically distance when outdoors, and make any indoor trips fast, and remain on the move while doing so.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

He's a local product and has always been the doom and gloom man.

Decades back we had a really green vet join our local practice. I soon realized that no matter what problem the cow had he would put on his bad news face and act as though we'd be lucky if she didn't die. Cows are pretty tough and we took very good care of our cows and of course 99% of the time the sick cow lived. The young vet had it covered both ways if the cow lived he looked like the worlds best vet and if she died, well he warn us it might happen.

Dr O loves to see his name in print....he's a source but IMO one of many and not the best ever as the Blue Zones dude proclaims. In this article he has put together a lot of general stats.

My big issue is with the death number he put out there. I don't think that number is helpful. I was pretty much OK with the advice and general recap until he started talking numbers. I have to disagree with his comment about it being"bad" if it disappears for awhile..we can still work on a vaccine if it goes dormant and prepare for a possible new wave.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I think his numbers are too high.
I'm guessing we will only have 350,000 -> 500,000 deaths in 18 months if no vaccine.

Reasoning being, the high rate earlier was a lot of nursing home deaths, and those have a limited number as people die off, learn from mistakes, and avoid those places.

Additionally, while the public is slow to adapt, they will pay attention as the number keeps rising and take better precautions (mask, distance, etc).

As for the rest of his statements, I liked how he pointed out strongly the danger of excess weight... something I have to work harder on
Old 06-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
... I have to disagree with his comment about it being"bad" if it disappears for awhile..we can still work on a vaccine if it goes dormant and prepare for a possible new wave.
The problem with the disease going "dormant" is that you don't know if it will come back, and that removes the financial incentive to develop a vaccine. That is my understanding as to why we never got a SARS vaccine. The virus died out before they completed clinical trials and no one wanted to continue to spend big money to develop the vaccine.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The problem with the disease going "dormant" is that you don't know if it will come back, and that removes the financial incentive to develop a vaccine. That is my understanding as to why we never got a SARS vaccine. The virus died out before they completed clinical trials and no one wanted to continue to spend big money to develop the vaccine.
In this case I think government funding would continue due to the nature of this outbreak. The number of SARS cases is dwarfed by what is happening with COVID.....
Old 06-16-2020, 08:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
My big issue is with the death number he put out there. I don't think that number is helpful. I was pretty much OK with the advice and general recap until he started talking numbers. I have to disagree with his comment about it being"bad" if it disappears for awhile..we can still work on a vaccine if it goes dormant and prepare for a possible new wave.
From the article:
Quote:
My worst-case scenario is that we see it suddenly start to disappear from this country right now. And people say what, how could that be worst case? That’s the worst because if that happens, it means that it’s not disappearing due to human behavior or anything we’ve put in place to reduce transmission. That would tell me that this is now acting like a flu virus even though it is a coronavirus. If it looks like a pandemic flu virus, then that would suggest that in late summer or early fall we could have a very significant wave of activity that would overwhelm society as we know it, healthcare wise and otherwise. That would be really a very unfortunate situation.
We can still work on a vaccine under this scenario, but 1. we aren't in control of the virus from behavioral changes and 2. the second wave will be devastating - how can we prepare for that?

If the flu virus goes semi dormant due to higher temperatures then it doesn't appear to be the same with the corona as evidenced by the recent surge in AZ.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImThinkin2019 View Post
Omni550 thank you for linking such a ggod article. Dr Osterholm seems like a pragmatic, clear thinker. Very objective. This is the best set of predictions and suggestions I have seen.

I am glad to hear him comment about the preferred leadership style to help us navigate this situation. i would like to see leadership that brings us together. And statements from the leadership that can be believed.
Many of the opinions we have gotten from medical experts have been incorrect. I find this interesting but not particularly authoritative.

And medical experts' opinions on politics are certainly non-authoritative.

The article was interesting but broke no new ground in my opinion.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

How many times have the experts been wrong? There is no right answer for this virus because nobody quite knows what they are dealing with. Even a vaccine is not going to protect everyone (like the annual flu vaccine).
Old 06-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I think his numbers are too high.
I'm guessing we will only have 350,000 -> 500,000 deaths in 18 months if no vaccine.

Reasoning being, the high rate earlier was a lot of nursing home deaths, and those have a limited number as people die off, learn from mistakes, and avoid those places.
I'm following the stats in Johnson County, KS and there are 358 LTC cases out of 1,061 total. I agree that LTC facilities are a serious concern but the incidence of COVID-19 in that population doesn't necessarily reflect risk to the general population.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. It is always good to get another opinion from somebody who has experience in the field.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Closed Thread