Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
I have been quarantined at home by myself for about 5 weeks now. I am doing pretty well. I talk to my neighbor who is also by herself from a distance of about 20 feet across our shared driveway every few days.

I have gone twice for curbside pickup of groceries.

I have a big pile of books, several sources of movies/TV shows from the Internet. I did a curbside pickup of painting supplies and am slowly painting the interior of my small house. I am doing my normal spring cleanup of my garden and am cooking a lot!

Several generations of my extended family does a Zoom call once a week. Some close friends and I do a Zoom cocktail party once a week. I've been really pleased to see how many neighbors/old friends/ex-husbands have been checking to see how I am doing. Frankly I feel more connected to people than ever!

I have heard others say that they feel more connected now too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I live alone as well. This isn't that much different than my pre-quarantine life. But I do miss going to my health club, library and grocery shopping more often than once every 8-9 days. I go for a 3 mile walk or 15 mile bike ride every day which helps. However, there's still something about being around other people no matter how little that I miss. I do find myself getting bored easier and occasionally slightly depressed. I do have several friends that I keep in touch with online or over the phone which helps somewhat. It will be nice when this is all over!
Good that you are still getting out to walk or bike. I think that really helps.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreaming View Post
I am a solo introvert and doing fine. I'm keeping very busy with yard work right now, but nothing too different that what I'd be doing anyway.

I do sometimes miss being out among people. Normally I'd be out shopping a bit more often, or hiking or walking around the neighborhood - usually by myself, but I'd still have some casual conversation with people. Now when I'm out, everyone is rightly avoiding each other, and with everyone wearing face masks I feel like I'm in a sci-fi movie. I admit that sometimes gets me down a bit, but then I get lost in the yard work again and forget about everything else. Being out in nature if a good 'reset'.
I think being outside is a good break from the internet, plus if you enjoy the yard work that's awesome!
Old 04-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm-7 View Post
My solo quarantine is going Ok. As I mentioned in a previous post I just relocated to a new area. I have things to keep me busy, unpacking,and organizing. I have briefly met my neighbors. I deal with sadness and uncertainty, mostly from being overwhelmed.

If I keep planning and working on the small projects I should be fine. I have started my container gardens and fixing up my small yard. I have some furniture on order that will need to be assembled. I am not a mechanical person so I have plenty of time to figure that out.

This too shall pass.
It will pass, and we likely won't forget this time in our lives.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm also an introvert; I returned from a week-long trip to South America on 3/20 (cut short due to COVID-19) and, as a friend predicted, it was a changed world. The first few days it was OK- I needed to decompress after being around people (the guide and the small group tour) and dealing with the undercurrent of worry about getting home.

I miss my gym. I miss hugging and being hugged. I miss my DS, DDIL and my 3 grandchildren. Overall I'm blessed- I have a wonderful house with a yard and garden that need plenty of attention, I'm retired and finances are OK and I have a treadmill in the basement so I'm staying in shape. The refrigerator and pantry are well-stocked and the bird feeders are full. Weekly Zoom meetings, including Toastmasters, Morning Prayer Sunday and Compline Monday evening and a virtual Happy Hour Friday evenings with my church group, as well as FaceTime with the grandchildren help keep me sane.

Still, I cannot wait till the restrictions are lifted. I'll use my own judgment and not just take the word of a public official (especially one with no healthcare background) that something is safe; I have to live with the consequences if they're wrong.

I can't wait till I can hug my grandchildren, though.
How are your grandkids doing? Do you think that kids are dealing with this better than adults?
Old 04-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I have been confined alone at home for 5 weeks. I am an introvert too and everything is going smoothly. I am using this forced isolation as an opportunity for self-improvement and reflection. I'm determined to emerge from this looking and feeling as good as ever. When life is stripped down to the basics, everything becomes clearer.
So true, about things becoming more clear. Glad all is well for you.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm doing well. I expected I might feel lonely or isolated, but I don't. It actually feels very natural. In a way, I like it, because it gives me a socially approved reason to indulge my introversion (rather than feeling half-guilty because I'm "isolating").

It helps to have a dog, and to be a dog lover (vs. someone who "has a dog" but keeps him/her out back). I'm not really alone in that sense. I connect pretty well with my dogs. We're new to each other -- I adopted him 6 months ago -- so this has been good for us. Lots of time together, and he's a good companion.

I had some regular social activities before this (e.g., classes, discussion group). I don't miss them, but it will be nice when they can resume, because they are stimulating.

I'm in a modest-sized town without too much of a CV problem, so things aren't as tense and rule-bound as they might be in large metro area. I'm always out taking walks, biking, or driving for "non-essential purposes" such as enjoying the day. Weather has been nice (it would suck if the weather prevented going outside).

I've noticed that, when this began, chats with neighbors were very distant and often involved nearly shouting back and forth. Now it's more relaxed. I just had a chat with neighbors while standing a foot or two apart, petting each others' dogs, with no one worried about six feet or no-touch rules.

Anyhow, I'm doing ok. The main challenge is filling the time without lapsing into one of my favorite time-wasters (e.g., Youtube, social media).
Old 04-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I'm doing well. I expected I might feel lonely or isolated, but I don't. It actually feels very natural. In a way, I like it, because it gives me a socially approved reason to indulge my introversion (rather than feeling half-guilty because I'm "isolating").

It helps to have a dog, and to be a dog lover (vs. someone who "has a dog" but keeps him/her out back). I'm not really alone in that sense. I connect pretty well with my dogs. We're new to each other -- I adopted him 6 months ago -- so this has been good for us. Lots of time together, and he's a good companion.

I had some regular social activities before this (e.g., classes, discussion group). I don't miss them, but it will be nice when they can resume, because they are stimulating.

I'm in a modest-sized town without too much of a CV problem, so things aren't as tense and rule-bound as they might be in large metro area. I'm always out taking walks, biking, or driving for "non-essential purposes" such as enjoying the day. Weather has been nice (it would suck if the weather prevented going outside).

I've noticed that, when this began, chats with neighbors were very distant and often involved nearly shouting back and forth. Now it's more relaxed. I just had a chat with neighbors while standing a foot or two apart, petting each others' dogs, with no one worried about six feet or no-touch rules.

Anyhow, I'm doing ok. The main challenge is filling the time without lapsing into one of my favorite time-wasters (e.g., Youtube, social media).
I too am a dog lover, long time dog performance competitor and AKC show judge. Most of my friends are also connected to the dog world, and one of the trends I’m seeing is them talking about things about their dogs personalities that they now are noticing since they are home almost 24/7.
Have you discovered anything about your k9 in this period?
Old 04-21-2020, 06:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I too am a dog lover, long time dog performance competitor and AKC show judge. Most of my friends are also connected to the dog world, and one of the trends I’m seeing is them talking about things about their dogs personalities that they now are noticing since they are home almost 24/7.
Have you discovered anything about your k9 in this period?
Yes, I think I'm coming to understand his personality better. He's quiet but friendly, a little shy, a bit prone to anxious/startle response, and both companionable and independent. A little like me, actually. Some of the things I had earlier interpreted as being calm or being spoiled, I now see in a different light. Our communication is improving, too. We seem to understand each other better.

That's cool that you're so involved with dogs and the AKC. Dog people are great people, in my experience. We have a few kooks and eccentrics among us (maybe I'm one), but we're a good breed.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:48 AM   #30

Another introvert doing ok as to my solo status. But, as a birder, I am finding it very hard to forego spring migration at my usual birding spots. Most - not all - are closed. And, the ones that are open are not necessarily the ones that are best to visit at this time of year. And, I'm trying to keep my travels within about 25 miles from home, as I do not want to add to the problem. So, I'm getting out far less often, and that is very hard in the spring.

3 similarly situated girlfriends and I exchange emails several times a day. This has seemed to suit us very well - no one of us has suggested phoning or video chatting. We text occasionally, but it's mostly emails, which will leave us a record of this extraordinary time and allows us to share reflections or political thoughts, photos of our cats or cooking or good bird sightings if we are out (solo) somewhere. Yes, you could share photos and emojis and links by texting, but nothing of any depth.

Like Calico, I'm trying to be respectful of others with greater challenges.

But, one of my extroverted younger relatives issued this challenge: that she thinks it's sad that some people have experienced little change in their daily lives, that it means their lives have been too circumscribed. I didn't really have an answer for this, except my introvert's conviction that life's richness is not tied to external activities.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a solo introvert. In normal circumstances, I’d be loving the lockdown. I’d work from home, with the cat fighting to sit on my lap every moment, then I’d move to the sofa with the kitty and watch TV/read/play with the iPad til bedtime. I’d miss tennis but otherwise be fine.

But I lost my cat in March and my job in April so I’m feeling nervous about the future. I have calmed down, nothing much I can do, but I do think about how much my cat would have loved having me home all day. She was my “soul kitty” and I cannot think about another pet right now.

Otherwise, I’m doing all right. To my surprise, I did get lonely at first, probably missed having some interaction with tennis acquaintances and coworkers. I find that I’ve become (slightly) more sociable as I’ve gotten older. But now I think I’ve adjusted to the new normal. I’ve cleaned out the house, I’m researching places I want to potentially live, I’m catching up on all the programs I recorded on the DVR that I never got around to, and I’m walking several miles per day, 5-6 days/week. My state is opening gyms and tennis clubs on 5/1. I’m a little leery of going back to the gym so quickly so I will wait on that. Now that I don’t have a job, and am thinking of moving anyway, I will probably forgo the summer tennis club as well. Maybe. Have to think about that one because I love tennis.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Yes, I think I'm coming to understand his personality better. He's quiet but friendly, a little shy, a bit prone to anxious/startle response, and both companionable and independent. A little like me, actually. Some of the things I had earlier interpreted as being calm or being spoiled, I now see in a different light. Our communication is improving, too. We seem to understand each other better.

That's cool that you're so involved with dogs and the AKC. Dog people are great people, in my experience. We have a few kooks and eccentrics among us (maybe I'm one), but we're a good breed.
Oh we are kooks for sure. Who drives 10 hours to stand outside all day in all kinds of horrible weather? Not normal people lol!!!
Old 04-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Another introvert doing ok as to my solo status. But, as a birder, I am finding it very hard to forego spring migration at my usual birding spots. Most - not all - are closed. And, the ones that are open are not necessarily the ones that are best to visit at this time of year. And, I'm trying to keep my travels within about 25 miles from home, as I do not want to add to the problem. So, I'm getting out far less often, and that is very hard in the spring.

3 similarly situated girlfriends and I exchange emails several times a day. This has seemed to suit us very well - no one of us has suggested phoning or video chatting. We text occasionally, but it's mostly emails, which will leave us a record of this extraordinary time and allows us to share reflections or political thoughts, photos of our cats or cooking or good bird sightings if we are out (solo) somewhere. Yes, you could share photos and emojis and links by texting, but nothing of any depth.

Like Calico, I'm trying to be respectful of others with greater challenges.

But, one of my extroverted younger relatives issued this challenge: that she thinks it's sad that some people have experienced little change in their daily lives, that it means their lives have been too circumscribed. I didn't really have an answer for this, except my introvert's conviction that life's richness is not tied to external activities.
Hmm, sad that we have little change. Well, for me, being out with my dogs watching them doing what they were bred to do and clearly find great joy doing is to me heaven. Maybe like birding, when you are out and its quiet and you finally see that one bird you hoped to see. I have a friend who is a doctor and he and his birding group travel all over the world to see specific birds. To some, this probably sounds odd. To me, it sounds like a wonderful way to spend time.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopycat View Post
I am a solo introvert. In normal circumstances, I’d be loving the lockdown. I’d work from home, with the cat fighting to sit on my lap every moment, then I’d move to the sofa with the kitty and watch TV/read/play with the iPad til bedtime. I’d miss tennis but otherwise be fine.

But I lost my cat in March and my job in April so I’m feeling nervous about the future. I have calmed down, nothing much I can do, but I do think about how much my cat would have loved having me home all day. She was my “soul kitty” and I cannot think about another pet right now.

Otherwise, I’m doing all right. To my surprise, I did get lonely at first, probably missed having some interaction with tennis acquaintances and coworkers. I find that I’ve become (slightly) more sociable as I’ve gotten older. But now I think I’ve adjusted to the new normal. I’ve cleaned out the house, I’m researching places I want to potentially live, I’m catching up on all the programs I recorded on the DVR that I never got around to, and I’m walking several miles per day, 5-6 days/week. My state is opening gyms and tennis clubs on 5/1. I’m a little leery of going back to the gym so quickly so I will wait on that. Now that I don’t have a job, and am thinking of moving anyway, I will probably forgo the summer tennis club as well. Maybe. Have to think about that one because I love tennis.

I am so so sorry about your cat, and your job, that is actually quite a lot of loss in a short period of time.
Please be kind to yourself at this time, sometimes the impact of loss can sneak up and really be painful over time.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:28 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Solo quarantine hasn't really been that different. Pre-virus there never seemed to be enough time in the day anyhow for the regular tasks like housework and chores. Durig virus that really hasn't changed.

I am happy though for a good internet connection to "socialize" with others and that I have a working treadmill and some dumbbells to not turn into total mush.

Being an introvert, I actually enjoy not having to chit chat with others for the sake of chit chat.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quarantined solo here. No problem at all. I have a very cute and active dog so we play ball in the house and in our yard. Ordered groceries using Instacart and also Amazon Prime. Have not been bored or frustrated at all. When not playing with my dog, I practice yoga. Play the piano. Compose music. Garden. Cook. Bake. And read. The reason for the quarantine is unfortunate but my personal experience has been, thankfully, very pleasant so far.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Splendid!