Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Solo quarantine ~ how is it going?
Old 04-19-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Solo quarantine ~ how is it going?

I think there are a small number of members here who are quarantined alone, as am I.
Wanted to see how everyone is doing.

I’m good, I have dogs I exercise and train each day, read, cook.

Others?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm solo quarantined. I'm an introvert so no big deal staying home by myself. The only problem is I am unemployed and not FI so I need to be able to go back to work at some point. As long as my computer and internet don't go out then I will never be bored.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm solo quarantined. I'm an introvert so no big deal staying home by myself. The only problem is I am unemployed and not FI so I need to be able to go back to work at some point. As long as my computer and internet don't go out then I will never be bored.
I’ve noticed us introverts seem to managing pretty well.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I’ve noticed us introverts seem to managing pretty well.
Yes this one is doing very well. Retired and F.I. I do not like the reason for quarantining of course, but stay home and don't talk to anybody? No problem.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Yes this one is doing very well. Retired and F.I. I do not like the reason for quarantining of course, but stay home and don't talk to anybody? No problem.
That’s great!
Old 04-19-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been quarantined at home by myself for about 5 weeks now. I am doing pretty well. I talk to my neighbor who is also by herself from a distance of about 20 feet across our shared driveway every few days.

I have gone twice for curbside pickup of groceries.

I have a big pile of books, several sources of movies/TV shows from the Internet. I did a curbside pickup of painting supplies and am slowly painting the interior of my small house. I am doing my normal spring cleanup of my garden and am cooking a lot!

Several generations of my extended family does a Zoom call once a week. Some close friends and I do a Zoom cocktail party once a week. I've been really pleased to see how many neighbors/old friends/ex-husbands have been checking to see how I am doing. Frankly I feel more connected to people than ever!
Old 04-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #7

No problem here either. I get a feeling of accomplishment when I find groceries I want online for a decent price. Nothing fresh but I got mustard greens, soup, tomatoes, beef stew, salmon, pasta, raisins, peanuts, mandarin oranges, apple juice...well, you get the idea. I got my hand wash laundry routine down, and I have an exercise bike.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:11 PM   #8

I live alone as well. This isn't that much different than my pre-quarantine life. But I do miss going to my health club, library and grocery shopping more often than once every 8-9 days. I go for a 3 mile walk or 15 mile bike ride every day which helps. However, there's still something about being around other people no matter how little that I miss. I do find myself getting bored easier and occasionally slightly depressed. I do have several friends that I keep in touch with online or over the phone which helps somewhat. It will be nice when this is all over!
Old 04-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #9

Also an introvert; also quarantining alone. I have my two cats of course, so I have "pet therapy" 24/7 now, which is great. It's a benefit of my new w#rkplace called "the kitchen table."

I am still w#rking until the end of the year, so WFH takes care of Mon - Fri during the day. Frankly, while I am very sad about the reason we are quarantining, I'm absolutely thrilled that I don't have to interact with any cow#rkers. I don't miss any of the forced socialization that is part of my w#rkplace. All the silliness and games waste a lot of time in my opinion. Just leave me alone to do my w#rk! Now I have the bliss of solitude, and peace and quiet to do just that!

I have bookshelves filled with books to read; all the streaming services I can use; a treadmill to keep fit and sane; and occasional trips out for curbside grocery pickup. I have phone chats weekly with a couple of friends and with my 80+ aunt and uncle; also occasional Zooming with family. Lots of text threads with friends. I have several single friends, and we are all making sure to check in with each other with tips about the best grocery places, and making sure our mental health is still intact (!) etc. Since we are all introverts to varying degrees we are all (generally) thriving in solitude.

I am, however, very careful not to share my generally blissful reaction to this situation with any family or cow#rkers who are quarantined with spouses, SO's, children, etc. They have much more on their plates, and I want to remain respectful that this is a challenging situation for many. I also don't tell my neighbor how happy I am, because he just had his hours cut by two-thirds at w#rk.

When this is all over I will certainly enjoy going to the library again, and eating at my favorite restaurants again, going to movies, and seeing a small handful of family and friends. But in the meantime I am fine.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:57 AM   #10

I am a solo introvert and doing fine. I'm keeping very busy with yard work right now, but nothing too different that what I'd be doing anyway.

I do sometimes miss being out among people. Normally I'd be out shopping a bit more often, or hiking or walking around the neighborhood - usually by myself, but I'd still have some casual conversation with people. Now when I'm out, everyone is rightly avoiding each other, and with everyone wearing face masks I feel like I'm in a sci-fi movie. I admit that sometimes gets me down a bit, but then I get lost in the yard work again and forget about everything else. Being out in nature if a good 'reset'.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:40 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My solo quarantine is going Ok. As I mentioned in a previous post I just relocated to a new area. I have things to keep me busy, unpacking,and organizing. I have briefly met my neighbors. I deal with sadness and uncertainty, mostly from being overwhelmed.

If I keep planning and working on the small projects I should be fine. I have started my container gardens and fixing up my small yard. I have some furniture on order that will need to be assembled. I am not a mechanical person so I have plenty of time to figure that out.

This too shall pass.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Solo here and doing well. I live in a patio subdivision so sitting on my back porch and talking to a neighbor is pretty easy. And I play golf with a friend so that gives me some interaction.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm also an introvert; I returned from a week-long trip to South America on 3/20 (cut short due to COVID-19) and, as a friend predicted, it was a changed world. The first few days it was OK- I needed to decompress after being around people (the guide and the small group tour) and dealing with the undercurrent of worry about getting home.

I miss my gym. I miss hugging and being hugged. I miss my DS, DDIL and my 3 grandchildren. Overall I'm blessed- I have a wonderful house with a yard and garden that need plenty of attention, I'm retired and finances are OK and I have a treadmill in the basement so I'm staying in shape. The refrigerator and pantry are well-stocked and the bird feeders are full. Weekly Zoom meetings, including Toastmasters, Morning Prayer Sunday and Compline Monday evening and a virtual Happy Hour Friday evenings with my church group, as well as FaceTime with the grandchildren help keep me sane.

Still, I cannot wait till the restrictions are lifted. I'll use my own judgment and not just take the word of a public official (especially one with no healthcare background) that something is safe; I have to live with the consequences if they're wrong.

I can't wait till I can hug my grandchildren, though.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #14

Not solo and am glad to have DW to isolate with. We both are introverts so we're fine with it. Cousin on the other hand, is single and an extreme extrovert. I think he stays on the phone all day long except when he is walking his big dogs.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I have been confined alone at home for 5 weeks. I am an introvert too and everything is going smoothly. I am using this forced isolation as an opportunity for self-improvement and reflection. I'm determined to emerge from this looking and feeling as good as ever. When life is stripped down to the basics, everything becomes clearer.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #16

Introvert here too, used to long periods alone. I'm still working, but that's been reduced to only an hour or two per day--kind of amazing. Zoom meetings twice per week. Otherwise, I haven't missed a beat. Zoom online Mass and spiritual community meetings; zoom Pilates; lots of spring cleaning and yard work; walking with neighbor; biking with biking friend; reading; volunteer work from a safe distance. I do miss community but in some ways feel quite connected, maybe even more so than usual.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My mother almost 90 is alone and quarantined in her Independent Living Apartment. She is an extrovert and really enjoyed the communal meals and all the activities that are now closed (meals are delivered to her door). No visitors are allowed and visiting other residents is discouraged. This is all very hard on her. She does not have a computer but does have TV and reads some. I call her twice a day and talk to her 30-45 minutes each time. She also talks some to other family members and friends. She does get out and walk the halls some but rarely sees another person. The only thing that is keeping her from totally losing it is that a mourning dove built a nest on her deck and now has 3 baby birds that she watches every day. It will be sad for her when the baby birds fly away in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
My mother almost 90 is alone and quarantined in her Independent Living Apartment. She is an extrovert and really enjoyed the communal meals and all the activities that are now closed (meals are delivered to her door). No visitors are allowed and visiting other residents is discouraged. This is all very hard on her. She does not have a computer but does have TV and reads some. I call her twice a day and talk to her 30-45 minutes each time. She also talks some to other family members and friends. She does get out and walk the halls some but rarely sees another person. The only thing that is keeping her from totally losing it is that a mourning dove built a nest on her deck and now has 3 baby birds that she watches every day. It will be sad for her when the baby birds fly away in a couple of weeks.
You're lucky that your Mom can still carry on a normal conversation. My Mom is 98 and has dementia to the point that she can't remember anything new much longer than 10-15 minutes. She's in a memory care facility and since all of the residents in her wing also have memory problems, making them stay in their room would not be feasible. So the last I heard (the place is in lock down) is that they are still carrying on their normal activities but trying to keep the residents 6 feet apart. I can only imagine the difficulty in trying to do that. My family was pretty concerned about a week ago when one of the residents tested positive for covid 19 so we're waiting to see if any of the other residents have also tested positive. Scary times.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

MIL 91 is quarantined solo, with DW and I bringing supplies as needed. She only goes outside to get the mail. She reads, listens to the radio, and watches tv all day.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
You're lucky that your Mom can still carry on a normal conversation. My Mom is 98 and has dementia to the point that she can't remember anything new much longer than 10-15 minutes. She's in a memory care facility and since all of the residents in her wing also have memory problems, making them stay in their room would not be feasible. So the last I heard (the place is in lock down) is that they are still carrying on their normal activities but trying to keep the residents 6 feet apart. I can only imagine the difficulty in trying to do that. My family was pretty concerned about a week ago when one of the residents tested positive for covid 19 so we're waiting to see if any of the other residents have also tested positive. Scary times.
I am fortunate that my mother's mind is still sharp. This morning she asked when she should expect her $1200 stimulus money. I explained all the issues and said she would probably get it in the mail in a month or so and she said "oh one of those check is in the mail things."
Closed Thread