Spending 24 hours a day with your spouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are probably an aberration, but in our 21 years together, we have never had a fight, and very rarely even an argument of any kind. We were both married previously and learned from those failed relationships. We get along fine and really have no problem being cooped up together. We are very fortunate.

ditto on all points...

it's an easy place to be. I made a point of telling her just that today.

We are both introverts, and homebodies. And when we travel, we are also together, even spending 2 months on long treks in a 200-sq.ft. motorhome.

We do different things in and around the house. She surfs the Web looking at different movies, and Youtube videos. And I surfed the Web for different subjects. When she gets bored, she goes out to the yard to tend to her plants. Or she tries different dishes. I go look at my solar power system, and tweak things here and there.

No change in our routine, other than we no longer hang out together in public places, which we did only once a week anyway. Still keep the routine of our twice daily walks around the neighborhood.

Been married 40 years, and having an argument every so often.

Last edited:
We'll celebrate 43 years of marriage in June. Now, due to the 'shelter at home' phase, all bets might be off if we lived in a tiny house....:ermm:

Worse things have happened to me.

We are huge extroverts so our lives have changed!

51st year. Quite used to being together.

We aren't married and live next door to each other. This is an especially nice arrangement during lockdown. :)

Even in an apartment (1200 sq ft) it is possible and important to stake out personal space where one can retreat for some time during the day and then come back together again refreshed and sane (relatively). Earphones work too to slip into personal music or a podcast... for a while, before coming back to “society” again

There’s a tiny slice in the backyard where I hide out......and as already posted, all the guns are locked up. Sights set, on, on 4/30 or so.

Stay safe all.

After 46 years together, 10 in retirement we have no problems at all living together. We feel sorry for singles that are suddenly isolated such as our daughter in LA. She normally has a very active social life outside of work that has come to a complete halt, even her partner of 7 years who has been working away during the week now can’t come home at weekends, he is stuck in a high rise apartment complex. At least she is able to work from home and is in a house with garden and her local quirky cafe is still open for carry-out so she can walk there for her bread, coffees and the like.

I used to say that my wife and I could live together in a hotel room. So far, nothing in our nearly three weeks of isolation together has proven me wrong. We have a cocktail in the late afternoon and listen to music together. We eat one meal a day, "linner", around 3pm, often on the balcony, which overlooks our lake. The balcony is a real plus.

My wife is a published poet, so she is processing the crisis in her very creative way and sharing her work with others on her FB page. I am working on two professional projects (both pro bono), so I have that to keep me occupied. We hug a lot; but that's not new.

Our canton, here in Switzerland, borders northern Italy and makes up fully one-third of the 300 deaths in the country. We are only 330,000 people (out of 8.6M for the country). Our Covid-19 death rate is 5.5% as compared with 1.9% in the rest of Switzerland. We have friends who tested positive, both here and in the US. And, being 65 or older, we have been ordered not to go out, even for groceries.

I thank my lucky stars for my isolation partner. Last week we finally cancelled our long planned 35th anniversary holiday in Spain. That was sad. It was to be in mid-June. Her birthday is next week, and I will make her a cake and we will chill a bottle of prosecco to go with it.

So, it could be worse; but we hope it will not.

-BB

Last edited:
We’ve discovered that even though we live in a community with literally 3k+ clubs we’re perfectly happy staying in and pursuing other hobbies. I read, hubby Likes to watch TV and we’ve both gotten into virtual reality video games.

DH has a man cave where he spends most of the day. Then we have an early dinner and spend the evening together. It’s very chill and enjoyable.

My wife and I have always enjoyed spending time together. The more we're together, the more we want to be together. While I'm still working at home as usual, she has started working at home part time during this crisis. We've enjoyed the extra time in the mornings and evenings, and being able to see each other throughout the day.

The only downer is not being able to go out and do things together, but we're still enjoying hanging out at home.

What will be hard is when things go back to normal and we're forced to be away from each other again. :)

My wife and I are fine together, but the stay at home directive has sparked a major difference of opinion. My wife thinks the country has overreacted to COVID-19, while I think the worse is yet to come. She insists our DD, who lives about 20-25 minutes away, will be seeing us at our house on Easter Sunday, which will include a close friend of our DD.

It's bad enough we haven't seen our DD in almost 4 weeks, and we will not be getting together this week to celebrate a couple of birthdays (mine and DD's). But I question the risk in actually having this get-together at Easter. I am not as concerned about the virus as some, but I also don't think additional interactions with others is a good idea. Because of that, there is an underlying tension in the house that is slowly building up.

Doing fine. We have opted to quarantine in our second, lake home as it is a little more rural area, and while I have plenty to do at home, this newly acquired 120 year old property has lots of needed "mods" and DW is actually willing to help me with some (rare). We have thus far replaced the floor, all the trim and painted everything in the kitchen.

DW is still working but able to work from home. Just got message that WFH has been extended until April 30th.

I stay busy with all kinds of projects, and cooking. And watch the DOW during the week (!).

DW commented today that we are doing pretty good getting along. I said "well if it gets bad, we DO have 2 homes...."

My wife and I are fine together, but the stay at home directive has sparked a major difference of opinion. My wife thinks the country has overreacted to COVID-19, while I think the worse is yet to come. She insists our DD, who lives about 20-25 minutes away, will be seeing us at our house on Easter Sunday, which will include a close friend of our DD.

It's bad enough we haven't seen our DD in almost 4 weeks, and we will not be getting together this week to celebrate a couple of birthdays (mine and DD's). But I question the risk in actually having this get-together at Easter. I am not as concerned about the virus as some, but I also don't think additional interactions with others is a good idea. Because of that, there is an underlying tension in the house that is slowly building up.

I think this is going to become a significant problem for couples as time passes. The need to see members of your family is very strong and when everyone is feeling fine it’s going to seem like we are being more cautious than is required. I see a lot of differing opinions on this in my circle of friends.

I think this is going to become a significant problem for couples as time passes. The need to see members of your family is very strong and when everyone is feeling fine it’s going to seem like we are being more cautious than is required. I see a lot of differing opinions on this in my circle of friends.

I suggest a study to test which option leads to the fewest instances of disease transmission. I want to be in the "I can wait" group.

The only real change is not seeing our 3 daughters and their families face to face. DW sat for 1 of our daughter's almost 1 yr. old as she is a schoolteacher. As we were going to be finished as the Grandma Daycare at the end of May we view it as another early retirement. :) And yes we did cancel having our routine Easter get together. Postponed until sometime this summer.

I suggest a study to test which option leads to the fewest instances of disease transmission. I want to be in the "I can wait" group.

And then there are those relatives we really never wanted to see anyway but didn’t have a good enough excuse to keep away...until now.

Not too different from usual. We do have some alone time once in a while. Today I brewed beer, for example, and she goes off to read a book sometimes. But we enjoy each other’s company and wouldn’t want to isolate with anybody else.

No problem spending 24 hours a day with the spouse. She's sleeping in her bedroom on the main floor with the 8 year old, and I sleep upstairs in my man suite.

Last time she came upstairs, she missed the last stair going down. I don't have to worry about her coming up to visit again.

In these trying times, I'm the one out doing the shopping. And doing the manual labor doing landscaping. She's really putting some great vittles on the table every night. And she's keeping a perfectly clean house.

When we meet in the kitchen, I'm just trying to figure out how to get her to quit talking so much. At least she's got an abundance of personality.

A few years ago, we were on a 32 day cruise ina 350 sq ft mini suite. We survived that, so this is easier.
We have been married over 12 years, after we both lost our spouses, so we do not let the little things bother us.

My wife and I are doing great :) I worry about how others are doing, especially those prone to Domestic Violence or depression. Tough times for them :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom