Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're always together anyway, so no big changes there. Our FL house is small (1200sf), but we have the front yard and the back patio and the gardens. We stay together all the time, but we move around.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

doing just fine, thanks. nobody i'd rather be with.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 03-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Luckily the third time is the charm) We have been together 22 years and doing fine. We have separate offices, 2 TVs and we are apart when we go for walks. I take the little dogs who aren’t fast and he takes a 2 hour fast walk. We dug out all the board games we never played.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #24

We're homebodies anyway so no real adjustments to be made. The biggest absence is going to the gym. We'll have no choice in going out next week because two prescriptions are going to have to be refilled. For the first time we'll use the drive-in lane for that.

As long as the electricity, water, internet (for me) and cable TV (for her) remain functional we're in good shape.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #25

Been married 40+ and together 45+ years, this ain't squat.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
My wife and I are probably an aberration, but in our 21 years together, we have never had a fight, and very rarely even an argument of any kind. We were both married previously and learned from those failed relationships. We get along fine and really have no problem being cooped up together. We are very fortunate.
ditto on all points...

it's an easy place to be. I made a point of telling her just that today.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

We are both introverts, and homebodies. And when we travel, we are also together, even spending 2 months on long treks in a 200-sq.ft. motorhome.

We do different things in and around the house. She surfs the Web looking at different movies, and Youtube videos. And I surfed the Web for different subjects. When she gets bored, she goes out to the yard to tend to her plants. Or she tries different dishes. I go look at my solar power system, and tweak things here and there.

No change in our routine, other than we no longer hang out together in public places, which we did only once a week anyway. Still keep the routine of our twice daily walks around the neighborhood.

Been married 40 years, and having an argument every so often.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We'll celebrate 43 years of marriage in June. Now, due to the 'shelter at home' phase, all bets might be off if we lived in a tiny house....
Old 03-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Worse things have happened to me.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:05 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We are huge extroverts so our lives have changed!
Old 03-29-2020, 10:19 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

51st year. Quite used to being together.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:41 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes I wake up Grumpy. Other times, I let her sleep.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:26 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

We aren't married and live next door to each other. This is an especially nice arrangement during lockdown.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-30-2020, 12:05 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even in an apartment (1200 sq ft) it is possible and important to stake out personal space where one can retreat for some time during the day and then come back together again refreshed and sane (relatively). Earphones work too to slip into personal music or a podcast... for a while, before coming back to “society” again
Old 03-30-2020, 12:48 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Been married 40+ and together 45+ years, this ain't squat.

Agreed. Coming up on our 40th. Doesn’t compare to us being apart during a war. That was tough, this is a new routine.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:52 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

There’s a tiny slice in the backyard where I hide out......and as already posted, all the guns are locked up. Sights set, on, on 4/30 or so.

Stay safe all.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:37 AM   #37
Administrator

After 46 years together, 10 in retirement we have no problems at all living together. We feel sorry for singles that are suddenly isolated such as our daughter in LA. She normally has a very active social life outside of work that has come to a complete halt, even her partner of 7 years who has been working away during the week now can’t come home at weekends, he is stuck in a high rise apartment complex. At least she is able to work from home and is in a house with garden and her local quirky cafe is still open for carry-out so she can walk there for her bread, coffees and the like.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:22 AM   #38

I used to say that my wife and I could live together in a hotel room. So far, nothing in our nearly three weeks of isolation together has proven me wrong. We have a cocktail in the late afternoon and listen to music together. We eat one meal a day, "linner", around 3pm, often on the balcony, which overlooks our lake. The balcony is a real plus.

My wife is a published poet, so she is processing the crisis in her very creative way and sharing her work with others on her FB page. I am working on two professional projects (both pro bono), so I have that to keep me occupied. We hug a lot; but that's not new.

Our canton, here in Switzerland, borders northern Italy and makes up fully one-third of the 300 deaths in the country. We are only 330,000 people (out of 8.6M for the country). Our Covid-19 death rate is 5.5% as compared with 1.9% in the rest of Switzerland. We have friends who tested positive, both here and in the US. And, being 65 or older, we have been ordered not to go out, even for groceries.

I thank my lucky stars for my isolation partner. Last week we finally cancelled our long planned 35th anniversary holiday in Spain. That was sad. It was to be in mid-June. Her birthday is next week, and I will make her a cake and we will chill a bottle of prosecco to go with it.

So, it could be worse; but we hope it will not.

-BB
Old 03-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #39

We’ve discovered that even though we live in a community with literally 3k+ clubs we’re perfectly happy staying in and pursuing other hobbies. I read, hubby Likes to watch TV and we’ve both gotten into virtual reality video games.

DH has a man cave where he spends most of the day. Then we have an early dinner and spend the evening together. It’s very chill and enjoyable.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #40

My wife and I have always enjoyed spending time together. The more we're together, the more we want to be together. While I'm still working at home as usual, she has started working at home part time during this crisis. We've enjoyed the extra time in the mornings and evenings, and being able to see each other throughout the day.

The only downer is not being able to go out and do things together, but we're still enjoying hanging out at home.

What will be hard is when things go back to normal and we're forced to be away from each other again.
Closed Thread