Spreads so easily......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told DW several times to quit her exercise class. She didn't see a reason to quit. Her comment - "But it's only 6 of us and we stay 10' apart". She quit during the holidays but she is now back to Mon, Wed, Fri at her class.

Exercise instructor texted last Thurs that her husband tested positive for Covid, so she was going for testing along with 2 daughters.

She canceled exercise class Fri, but later texted that her and the 2 girls were negative.

Interesting to see what tomorrow brings. My guess is that class is back on and DW goes.

Don't you guys care for your MIL? How do you and your DW deal with her basically dismissing your being uncomfortable about her exercise class? This would be a big problem at my house. This seems as if it should default to the most cautious person of the couple.

Another reason I will be happy to be living alone because no clue what my ex is doing. Then I will know for sure I am relatively safe.

. And in both of those cases, the hostesses were cancer survivors with compromised immune systems. Everyone has an exemption from the rules because they're so special. Sometimes they drive me crazy with their magical thinking and lack of self discipline.

The sad thing is that they may be getting a false feeling of safety. Sort of like the person who rolls through STOP signs all the time and never has an accident. Until one day when he rolls through a STOP sign and somehow missed spotting the Semi about to cross the intersection.

How could anyone possibly expect the spouse of an infected person to remain uninfected?

Friends family of 7 had their 13 year old son come down with Covid. No one else in the family caught it. He was pretty sick there for a few days too, like a bad flu. All the kids shared a bathroom. All petted the family dog, etc.

Some arguments you can't win. DW is a college professor who will teach a limited number of laboratory classes in person this semester. Full PPE for both her and her students, but still a risk I'm not happy she has to take. But sometimes we just have to accept what is.

How could anyone possibly expect the spouse of an infected person to remain uninfected?

OK, it's possible, but I still think it shouldn't be expected.

Exactly, and I wouldn't trust anyone else's declaration of a negative test, especially the rapid tests which have a known false-negative. Best to avoid for 2 weeks.

Just to add one more to the pile though - nephew had it. The day before he had symptoms (mild, just enough to make my sister decide to test him), he'd been holed up in a small bedroom playing music with his Dad for a few hours. But despite rapids and pcr tests, no one else in the house ever got it.

Still, yeah, distance/mask, pfft, you would not catch me in a gym class till this is as over as can be.

That was a very common occurrence somewhere in South America, according to a paper I read. Some people that came in for early treatment were sent home with enough ivermectin for the whole family, and those family members rarely showed symptoms. For those sent home without ivermectin, the typical high transmission was observed. It was randomized, but not blinded.

Transmission seems to be unpredictable at times. My sister and her husband spent Christmas Day with their children and spouses plus grandchildren. 11 in total in the same small house for several hours. First to come down with Covid symptoms, confirmed by test, was a 5 year old who was sick for few days then recovered. Next to go down with it a couple of days later was my sister, then her husband a few days later. The other 8 never got sick but were all ordered to self isolate for 10 days.

I told DW several times to quit her exercise class. She didn't see a reason to quit. Her comment - "But it's only 6 of us and we stay 10' apart". She quit during the holidays but she is now back to Mon, Wed, Fri at her class.

Exercise instructor texted last Thurs that her husband tested positive for Covid, so she was going for testing along with 2 daughters.

She canceled exercise class Fri, but later texted that her and the 2 girls were negative.

Interesting to see what tomorrow brings. My guess is that class is back on and DW goes.
So your wife has no concerns about her infecting you?

Indoors in a room together, unmasked, exercising for I assume 20 mins at least, probably longer. Not safe.

Hopefully the teacher will see the light after this incident. I guess she doesn’t understand that testing negative on Thursday or Friday doesn’t mean she wasn’t infected. She and her family need to isolate for a while to protect others.

Last edited:
Still, yeah, distance/mask, pfft, you would not catch me in a gym class till this is as over as can be.
Once gyms were allowed to re-open here (back in May), we re-joined and went to the gym twice. We haven't been back since. The gym just doesn't feel the same with everybody wearing a mask and extreme social distancing.

Even though I am not the type of person who does a lot of socializing at the gym, still, before the pandemic there was a sort of communal feeling there even with strangers that I didn't know and had never spoken to. Back then I felt like we were all there improving our health together. That togetherness feeling is gone. Once, there were lots of smiles and nods back and forth, but that just can't happen any more with the other person so far away and masked.

It isn't fun any more. I just thought I'd mention this for those who may feel wistful and missing the gym (but afraid to go). What you miss, may not be there any more. :( Time to take up some sort of solitary exercise regimen instead.

Susceptibility appears to vary widely from person to person. Some are immune.

Like colds and flu, some folks seem to always be sick, others never seem to be.

And transmission of covid appears to be rather specific.

Susceptibility appears to vary widely from person to person. Some are immune.

Like colds and flu, some folks seem to always be sick, others never seem to be.

And transmission of covid appears to be rather specific.

This kind of leads to people saying I think I'm immune when in fact nobody can say with confidence they are immune..if you expose yourself to covid nine times and don't get sick, no guarantee you won't get sick the 10th time.

We can't encourage people to think this way.

This kind of leads to people saying I think I'm immune when in fact nobody can say with confidence they are immune..if you expose yourself to covid nine times and don't get sick, no guarantee you won't get sick the 10th time.

We can't encourage people to think this way.

No encouragement from me in that regard. That some are immune has been shown by science.

If is part of the possible explanation of why a sick person may not infect the HH. Varying levels of susceptibility, including immunity, and specificity of how the virus is transmitted.

Ref donating blood and platelets I agree that my location is nto doing a great job. Unmask in the lobby for tongue temperature (because guns dont exist??) laborious paperwork. Lock you in a tiny room with an employee to do extensive history. Then put your in a chair touching distance to the next person donation. SO all those chairs and employees. And then unmask to snack. Took like 90 minutes to donate a bag. Never again during a pandemic. i see why blood supplies are low

I just did a power red donation at the local Red Cross this past week. I scheduled to be the first for the day. They did a great job of distancing, the only person that came within 6 feet of me for an appreciable time wore and N95 mask. No one else donating was within 8 feet of me.

I did the history questions, online, before going, so no need to be locked in the room. We were in the room maybe 5 minutes to check pulse, BP, and iron level.

They only had 2 "post donation snack tables" spaced apart, single chair at each. You could also sit in your car for the recommended 10-15 minutes, they had someone who could watch you in the parking lot. I felt very comfortable.

Very possible. We know of close to a dozen folks who are married or live together, and only one got the virus.

Even though I am not the type of person who does a lot of socializing at the gym, still, before the pandemic there was a sort of communal feeling there even with strangers that I didn't know and had never spoken to. Back then I felt like we were all there improving our health together. That togetherness feeling is gone. Once, there were lots of smiles and nods back and forth, but that just can't happen any more with the other person so far away and masked.

At my gym a nod and a thumbs up works quite well as a greeting/acknowledgement.

One negative test is not enough. I tested negative 3 times before testing positive. If I were your wife I'd wait at least a week before going back.

I agree. It is odd the wife and 2 girls tested negative while the husband tested positive. He tested positive with no symptoms as prep for a colonoscopy. Exercise teacher thinks her husband had a false positive.

Luckily the exercise teacher has cancelled class for 2 weeks.

Don't you guys care for your MIL? How do you and your DW deal with her basically dismissing your being uncomfortable about her exercise class? This would be a big problem at my house. This seems as if it should default to the most cautious person of the couple.

Yes we somewhat care for MIL. We go to her place about every 2-3 days to check up on her and deliver groceries. MIL only leaves her apt. for Dr and haircuts. We wear masks when we go there - DW thinks that masks may make a difference. It won't make a difference if either one of us is infected.

Many of our friends and relatives have had Covid with little or no problems. So I think DW sees this and thinks it's no big deal. I keep stressing to her that it may not be a big deal for her, but it would be for her mother if she gets it.

So your wife has no concerns about her infecting you?

Indoors in a room together, unmasked, exercising for I assume 20 mins at least, probably longer. Not safe.

Hopefully the teacher will see the light after this incident. I guess she doesn’t understand that testing negative on Thursday or Friday doesn’t mean she wasn’t infected. She and her family need to isolate for a while to protect others.

I don't think DW has concerns about infecting herself or me. She sees our friends and relatives having mild symptoms and bouncing back to normal in a couple of weeks. I don't think that she is assessing the risk correctly.

Luckily exercise class teacher has cancelled class for 2 weeks. That will give me 2 weeks to turn up the volume in emphasizing that she shouldn't go back to class until this blows over.

Well that’s good that classes were cancelled for two weeks. They don’t know the situation yet, so it merits that level of caution.

https://www.unitedstatesmask.com/

Niosh n95s made in TX. Just read a good article about the company getting squeezed out of google advertising and also out if local contracts.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/wat...break-forget-made-in-texas-china-always-wins/

I placed an order Sunday.
They are sold out and won't be able to ship more masks until mid-February.
The masks I ordered will be shipping this week.
It appears all that publicity helped them.
Good for them!

Double mask alternative

The new recommendation is to double mask since the new variants are more virulent. Increases protection 50-75%.
OR wear N95--which as we are seeing are hard to get.
An epidemiologist recommended KF94 masks--he said most consider these more comfortable than N95s. Did say tight fit of ANY mask is THE most important thing.
Just ordered the KF94s this weekend, box is enroute.
(I did find the N95s uncomfortable initially; I think after a year of masking I could tolerate it now. BUT those damn rubber bands around the head rip my long hair out! OUCH)

I also ordered some face shields to go with the face masks.
I am pretty sure some will think that I am crazy. :LOL:

It happens. Not sure why. We are good friends with a family where the husband and teenage son had symptomatic COVID. The wife, who sleeps in the same bed as husband, as well as the teenage daughter, have remained COVID-negative throughout the course.

I think that there is a lot that we don’t know about COVID-19 susceptibility.

It happens. Not sure why. We are good friends with a family where the husband and teenage son had symptomatic COVID. The wife, who sleeps in the same bed as husband, as well as the teenage daughter, have remained COVID-negative throughout the course.

It's also possible the wife and/or daughter either already had (presumably asymptomatic) COVID. Or have it asymptomatically now if they aren't being periodically tested.

People always lie, to themselves as much as to others. For example, based on telephone conversations with family, they'll say they're social distancing and masking, but then they tell me about the places they've gone and the gatherings they hosted for Thanksgiving and New Years. From one side of the family "Oh, its just the people who belong here - you know, the adult grandsons and their girlfriends (none of whom actually live in that house)." From the other "Oh, Just my son, DIL, grandson and my husband's parents." (again, all people who don't live in the house). And in both of those cases, the hostesses were cancer survivors with compromised immune systems. Everyone has an exemption from the rules because they're so special. Sometimes they drive me crazy with their magical thinking and lack of self discipline.

This is so true! You get people talking and you realize they are taking big risks by gathering in groups, inside, for extended periods of time without masks (eating, drinking, talking).

We have a friend whose daughter (8 years old) who got COVID (assuming at school). None of the other family members (mom, dad, 6 year old, 8 month old) ever tested positive. My assumption is the daughter got a pretty mild case because everyone at school is masked except during lunch. I'm guessing she didn't create a large viral load to pass along which is why the rest of the household didn't get it. The mom jumped on the symptoms (child feeling unwell, elevated temp) quickly so the child was quarantined in her room early in the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom