Spreads so easily......

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see what Easter and Spring Break Holidays bring.
Cases have gone down as the winter holiday peak passed, along with vaccinations coming on board.
Hoping that even as states stop mask mandates, folks still wear them for their health and the health of others.

A fair amount of good news here of late. Just went to tier 3. There is talk of getting rid of the requirement for quarantine for inter-island travel. Today we only had about 20 new cases in the Islands and there are fewer than 700 active cases state wide. Also J&J vaccine just arrived (only about 5000 doses.)

I guess we'll just wait to see what happens next.

Must be that freezing weather you experienced. ;)

The more I learn, the less I know :)
You are right, and we need more of this humbleness in the world. The philosophy of this is actually an important part of the theory of knowledge, and the psychology of it is the often less looked at "wise" end of the Dunning-Kruger effect: the fools think and declare they know everything, and the wise don't speak up strongly enough against it because they are well aware of their own limits.

... and on top of that, the often most sensible answer of "I don't know" comes across as incredibly lame, and unfortunately especially in the ears of those who would benefit the most, namely those that think they know but really don't. This is actually one of the biggest problems of interaction in society, in my opinion.

Last edited:
... and one more point (at the risk of going onto folks' nerves a bit): These problems exist even in a "virtuous society" where all participants in the discussion have good intentions. Imagine how it is compounded if some who talk follow primarily their own, darker goals.

Coming back to Covid, which is new and stressful for any society, putting all these things together it is not surprising to see the hoopla we are actually experiencing.

Last edited:
... it is not surprising to see the hoopla we are actually experiencing.

Everybody has read by now that the 1918 pandemic had multiple waves, with later waves being worse. I remember wondering why that was, and the answer became clear as we lived it: pandemic fatigue.

What Are the Chances of Getting Covid by Spending 4 Hours in the ER?

DW tripped and fell on her face while we were 175 miles away from home looking at a house for sale. She was bleeding from the nose profusely and I asked the homeowner to call 911. Paramedics took her to the local hospital and I followed in our car. We spent 4 hours in one of the hospital's ER patient rooms while the staff imaged her and diagnosed a broken nose in 3 places. I wore a N-95 tight fitting mask the duration of our stay. DW did not because hers was blood soaked and was removed.

How much at risk are we for contracting Covid because of this? This is just one more thing we are worrying about. I doubt it makes any difference, but DW had her first of 2 Moderna Covid vaccinations two days prior.

Thanks.

DW tripped and fell on her face while we were 175 miles away from home looking at a house for sale. She was bleeding from the nose profusely and I asked the homeowner to call 911. Paramedics took her to the local hospital and I followed in our car. We spent 4 hours in one of the hospital's ER patient rooms while the staff imaged her and diagnosed a broken nose in 3 places. I wore a N-95 tight fitting mask the duration of our stay. DW did not because hers was blood soaked and was removed.

How much at risk are we for contracting Covid because of this? This is just one more thing we are worrying about. I doubt it makes any difference, but DW had her first of 2 Moderna Covid vaccinations two days prior.

Thanks.
Sorry for her accident. My guess is the hospital emergency area probably has excellent ventilation systems, which would make it safer than most indoor public places.

During the Covid shutdowns of this last year I had to take my son to a local 24 hour walk-in clinic one evening, where we sat in the waiting area. (I sat a lot longer than he did as he went in to see the doctor within 10 minutes of arrival). There were 3 other people and we were well spaced out, all wearing masks. Temperature taken on arrival before being allowed in.

I had knee surgery 2 weeks ago, and instead of going into a waiting area first I had to call the ward directly from the car park then was met at a different entrance to the main one, temperature taken then masked while walking to my room. Mask off in the room, nurses and doctors masked when they came by, I wore a mask on the way to the operating room, and then masked again on the way back. I also had to a PCR Covid test 2 days before and was required to sign a document stating that I had never left the house after the test.

I always felt Covid secure. The staff are also tested twice a week as well as being masked when dealing with patients. I have a follow up appointment in about 10 days with the surgeon and again I don't have any concerns on infections. A week after surgery I received my first jab so I have that added protection now as well.

Last edited:
Thank you MichaelB and Alan. That's what I was hoping. I figured Covid related emergencies were cordoned off in another part of the hospital. The gate keeper asked me Covid related questions and took my temperature before I could come inside.

Alan, I hope your knee surgery went well and that you have a quick and pain free recovery.

Alan, I hope your knee surgery went well and that you have a quick and pain free recovery.

Thanks, the surgery went very well and I’m on the way to a full recovery, back to walking 3 - 5 miles a day, looking forward to hiking on the moors soon.

Mandated mask wearing did not make a big difference, around 1.x% according to CDC report.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/pdfs/mm7010e3-H.pdf

"During March 1–December 31, 2020, state-issued mask mandates applied in 2,313 (73.6%) of the 3,142 U.S. coun-ties. Mask mandates were associated with a 0.5 percentage point decrease (p = 0.02) in daily COVID-19 case growth rates 1–20 days after implementation and decreases of 1.1, 1.5, 1.7, and 1.8 percentage points 21–40, 41–60, 61–80, and 81–100 days, respectively, after implementation (p<0.01 for all) (Table 1) (Figure). Mask mandates were associated with a 0.7 percentage point decrease (p = 0.03) in daily COVID-19 death growth rates 1–20 days after implementation and decreases of 1.0, 1.4, 1.6, and 1.9 percentage points 21–40, 41–60, 61–80, and 81–100 days, respectively, after implementation (p<0.01 for all). Daily case and death growth rates before implementa-tion of mask mandates were not statistically different from the reference period"

[Mod Edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mandated mask wearing did not make a big difference, around 1.x% according to CDC report.

Spreads so easily is right. Nature just published a study that could not find evidence that general population lockdowns were effective either.

A recent mathematical model has suggested that staying at home did not play a dominant role in reducing COVID-19 transmission.
With our results, we were not able to explain if COVID-19 mortality is reduced by staying at home in ~ 98% of the comparisons after epidemiological weeks 9 to 34.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-84092-1

"During March 1–December 31, 2020, state-issued mask mandates applied in 2,313 (73.6%) of the 3,142 U.S. coun-ties. Mask mandates were associated with a 0.5 percentage point decrease (p = 0.02) in daily COVID-19 case growth rates 1–20 days after implementation and decreases of 1.1, 1.5, 1.7, and 1.8 percentage points 21–40, 41–60, 61–80, and 81–100 days, respectively, after implementation (p<0.01 for all) (Table 1) (Figure). Mask mandates were associated with a 0.7 percentage point decrease (p = 0.03) in daily COVID-19 death growth rates 1–20 days after implementation and decreases of 1.0, 1.4, 1.6, and 1.9 percentage points 21–40, 41–60, 61–80, and 81–100 days, respectively, after implementation (p<0.01 for all). Daily case and death growth rates before implementa-tion of mask mandates were not statistically different from the reference period"

[Mod Edit]

I think we're still under "mask talk" quarantine, but this study does not surprise me. The study about "Lock downs" does surprise me a bit - but not a lot. YMMV

Discussions about mandates end badly, so let’s steer away from debating lockdown or mask issues, please. :greetings10:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is really important to understand what the term percentage point change means in that CDC document.

As I understand it that percentage point change is an absolute value.

growth rate at timeB - growth rate at timeA = percentage point change

if the growth rate is 10% and it decreases to 8%, then the percentage point change is 2%

Last edited:

[Mod Edit]

There is a lot I could say about this, but we don't want Porky around, do we? :D

I live in a state where there hasn't been a statewide mask mandate. A few of the larger cities have had them, but compliance has been pretty bad. The last time we went out to eat, (about a month ago) every seat in the house was full and it appeared that it was 2019 again. It was "interesting" to say the least.

Nonetheless, our rates are also down and hospitalizations are about 10% of what they were back in November. So...in my not-so-educated opinion the reduction has been more of a "petering out" of the virus as opposed to the masking mandates that we haven't had.

There is a lot I could say about this, but we don't want Porky around, do we? :D

I live in a state where there hasn't been a statewide mask mandate. A few of the larger cities have had them, but compliance has been pretty bad. The last time we went out to eat, (about a month ago) every seat in the house was full and it appeared that it was 2019 again. It was "interesting" to say the least.

Nonetheless, our rates are also down and hospitalizations are about 10% of what they were back in November. So...in my not-so-educated opinion the reduction has been more of a "petering out" of the virus as opposed to the masking mandates that we haven't had.

Combination herd immunity and vaccines. I heard that half the people over 65 have been vaccinated. That accounts for a large chunk of the risk.

And the virus has been circulating among others with no symptoms or mild systems symptoms for a good bit of time now.

The masks do not seem to matter much as far as I can tell.

Hmmm - I think you guys just blew it. The moderators have been very clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom