Spreads so easily......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought if you show up at the emergency dept. They would check your health and decide to admit or not.

I just learned tonight.
My Uncle, over 90 phoned a relative to say he was having trouble breathing. She came over, and said she would drive him to hospital.
He said call 911, so the ambulance will take him, that way they will let him in.
He is in there now. . no visitors.
Seems he is pretty smart :cool:
More than that. In the ambulance they can give him supplemental oxygen, check a bunch of vitals and monitor them, communicate with the hospital in transit, etc., instead of waiting to get to the hospital for admission and treatment to begin. Big difference!

Last edited:
Last edited:
This must be a new thing. My in-laws in England are getting their 2nd shot today (3 weeks apart which is the normal interval).

It is a new thing. I have heard of plenty folks getting their 2nd shots if they already had an appointment but ongoing they are extending the period to 12 weeks in order to increase the number of people being vaccinated per week.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...itisation-of-first-doses-of-covid-19-vaccines

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has subsequently recommended that as many people on the JCVI priority list as possible should sequentially be offered a first vaccine dose as the initial priority. They have advised that the second dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine may be given between 3 to 12 weeks following the first dose, and that the second dose of the AstraZeneca (Oxford) vaccine may be given between 4 to 12 weeks following the first dose. The clinical risk priority order for deployment of the vaccines remains unchanged and applies to both vaccines. Both are very effective vaccines.

Last edited:
On Christmas Day only, the rules were relaxed in England so that up to 3 households could meet indoors. The scientists were advising that they thought it was still a bad idea and asked folks to not do this.

Just about everyone we know followed the advice of not mixing indoors at Christmas just because we can. My sister that lives close to us chose not to mix, and made arrangements to send a portion of Christmas dinner to her 78 year old mother-in-law. MIL lives close by in an assisted living facility and has COPD so they have been avoiding meeting indoors anyway for many months. As it turns out both my sister and her husband got Covid a few days before so that could have been a disaster if MIL had caught it from them then spread it in her community. (They both have to go into work which is a likely source of their infection)

My other sister, who lives 35 miles away, was not so sensible and did visit her 2 daughters and her grandchildren on Christmas Day. 10 days later, on Jan 5th, my sister got ill and has now had Covid confirmed, plus a few days later her husband. One of her granddaughters, a 5 year old attending nursery school, got ill a few days after Christmas so they ordered a home Covid test and she was confirmed positive on Jan 6th. My sister had not been to work since Dec 19th and apart from Christmas Day says she has been nowhere except the grocery store, so it is most likely that she caught it from her granddaughter since the nursery school did not break up until the 23rd.

This virus really does spread so easily.

I didnt know which forum to post this under, but it has to do with hospital availability. Friend of mine is in Weston, FL at CLeveland Clinic with her mother who had scheduled heart surgery yesterday morning first thing. Surgery went fine. She was sent to recovery maybe 9am where she remained awaiting a bed. No bed for her from a scheduled surgery which meant she spent the night alone. My friend was supposed to be able to sit with her through the night and do things like make sure she had dinner (none came, the mom finally got a nurse to order her something very late). Bed blocking in the ER is fairly common, but I am not familiar with folks coming out of scheduled surgery and having no bed. No beuno. Thankful the surgery went well and the Mom is able to call occasionally and say "I dont know anything and Im being ignored" which means shes prob fine. They ignore when you are fine methinks.

More than that. In the ambulance they can give him supplemental oxygen, check a bunch of vitals and monitor them, communicate with the hospital in transit, etc., instead of waiting to get to the hospital for admission and treatment to begin. Big difference!

no doubt about it, you want to be transported in an ambulance in our current situation...also let them help you with what hospital to go to as they will know which ones have capacity.

I saw this segment on PBS News Hour last night and was really shaken. The upshot is that some of the symptoms of so called long haulers are really nasty, like blindness, teeth falling out, lung and heart tissue destroyed. It makes it easier for us to fight off isolation exhaustion.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/medical-community-scrambles-to-understand-covid-19-long-haulers

There is some research already done that suggests its the CCR5 response (inflammatory response) of the body in reaction to the virus. There are a number of CCR5 treatments in Phase 3 testing right now. It seems incredibly slow to me to get these out but of course you don't want snake oil being peddled to the public.

I saw this segment on PBS News Hour last night and was really shaken. The upshot is that some of the symptoms of so called long haulers are really nasty, like blindness, teeth falling out, lung and heart tissue destroyed. It makes it easier for us to fight off isolation exhaustion.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/medical-community-scrambles-to-understand-covid-19-long-haulers

Somewhere between 5 and 30 percent of COVID cases have residual symptoms several months after onset. The virus has been proven to be persistent. Think about that when you decide how to behave.

There is some research already done that suggests its the CCR5 response (inflammatory response) of the body in reaction to the virus. There are a number of CCR5 treatments in Phase 3 testing right now. It seems incredibly slow to me to get these out but of course you don't want snake oil being peddled to the public.

Research has shown that a number of inflammatory indicators are elevated in long haul patients. RANTES (CCL-5) is a chemokine that is often elevated. A former HIV researcher from Stanford that started a diagnostic test company is working on inflammatory marker-based treatments. His company is IncellDx and he developed and sells a test kit to measure the key markers. He's planning a treatment center. Meanwhile, he is making appearances on Dr. Been and Dr. Drew type shows. Dr. Bruce Patterson.

Somewhere between 5 and 30 percent of COVID cases have residual symptoms several months after onset. The virus has been proven to be persistent. Think about that when you decide how to behave.

I feel I have ongoing fatigue since covid. I never took naps in the middle of the day, in fact I never felt better than just before I got infected. Now everyday I feel fine when I wake up but within 2-3 hours I'm getting kind of tired and by 4 PM I'm ready for a nap. And it's not a 20 minute nap, I'll sleep for 2-3 hours if I lie down. I very rarely ever take a nap but I just feel listless and heavy eyes that are hard to keep open. I'm hoping this will pass eventually.

Here is a scary story--friends decided to keep having their long time maid to come every 2 weeks. Last Saturday when the maid came she said she had not felt well earlier in the week but she tested negative twice and was feeling better so it was probably allergies so my friends let her clean the house. Then the maid gets very sick and tests positive on Tuesday. Yesterday contact tracers call my friends and tell them they have been exposed, they must be tested and have to quarantine for 14 days. My friends are waiting for their tests results now. Just shows that a negative test (or two of them) does not really mean anything.

Here is a scary story--friends decided to keep having their long time maid to come every 2 weeks. Last Saturday when the maid came she said she had not felt well earlier in the week but she tested negative twice and was feeling better so it was probably allergies so my friends let her clean the house. Then the maid gets very sick and tests positive on Tuesday. Yesterday contact tracers call my friends and tell them they have been exposed, they must be tested and have to quarantine for 14 days. My friends are waiting for their tests results now. Just shows that a negative test (or two of them) does not really mean anything.

Is this in NC? Were the maids and your friends wearing masks? Fingers crossed for all involved!

Is this in NC? Were the maids and your friends wearing masks? Fingers crossed for all involved!

Yes here in NC where I live. I don't know about masks but my friends say they were not ever in the same room with their maid so hopefully all will be OK for them. The scary thing to me is that the maid tested negative twice one week and then 3 days later tested positive. I don't know what kind of test it was.

The scary thing to me is that the maid tested negative twice one week and then 3 days later tested positive. I don't know what kind of test it was.

From reading other people's experiences here and elsewhere, I know that the COVID test isn't 100% accurate in detecting the virus in people. If you are thinking about letting anybody in your house, you need to assume that the person who is coming in has COVID-19 with no symptom (even if the person tests negative), and decide if you're willing to let that person with COVID-19 in your house. That's my opinion.

From reading other people's experiences here and elsewhere, I know that the COVID test isn't 100% accurate in detecting the virus in people. If you are thinking about letting anybody in your house, you need to assume that the person who is coming in has COVID-19 with no symptom (even if the person tests negative), and decide if you're willing to let that person with COVID-19 in your house. That's my opinion.

Same for me. DH and I have not let anyone else into our house since last March. We discontinued our housekeeper (but we did buy a robot vacuum!).

I saw that as well. The teeth problem was new to me, but I've heard about various organ damage issues, even amputations needing done, and various unexplained symptoms.

And they mentioned that these were even showing up in people that had mild symptoms at the time they had COVID.

In one story, it mentioned one person many months after having COVID was still dealing with COVID brain fog, weakness, extreme fatigue, migraines, mini-strokes, heart issues, shortness of breath, fever, coughs, body aches, stiff joints, and balance issues.

The CDC reports up to 35 percent of those infected endure symptoms lasting beyond three weeks. And it's likely many of these will last forever due to permanent damage.

Last edited:
BIL currently has it. As a matter of fact, is having the monoclonal antibody treatment as I type.

Started off as flu like. Got better, and yesterday did the classic re-fire of the fever. Glad he is getting the treatment today.

One of his complaints is constant peeing. He thinks he is overhydrating. I think it is Covid attacking and swelling the prostate. Something most 70 year olds are on the border of having issues with anyway.

I'd read about lasting health effects early on while some of my FB friends were touting the relatively low death rate (at the time, reported deaths were about 0.5% of reported cases, although you'd expect that to increase as cases run their course for the recently-diagnosed). I've just explained that I'm not afraid of dying from it- I'm afraid of surviving it with lingering major issues.

And just last week after a friend related the scary tale about how a family member caught COVID at his gym and infected 11 family members at a holiday gathering (including my friend and her husband) with one death, I told her I'd quit going to my gym because too many people were exercising with their masks at "half-mast" contrary to posted rules, and staff was doing little. She told me, "You're healthy, you'd survive it!" and said the family member who caught it at the gym... is back at the gym.:facepalm:

I'll do fine at home with my treadmill, my TRX and online workouts.

Yes here in NC where I live. I don't know about masks but my friends say they were not ever in the same room with their maid so hopefully all will be OK for them. The scary thing to me is that the maid tested negative twice one week and then 3 days later tested positive. I don't know what kind of test it was.

Seems like testing negative several times before testing positive is quite common. You have to have enough virus to be detected by whatever test. It shows yet again that preemptive testing does not work and can’t be used for real-time screening. Just because you tested negative today doesn’t mean you weren’t infected 2 or 3 days ago, and might be infectious tomorrow.

Seems like testing negative several times before testing positive is quite common. You have to have enough virus to be detected by whatever test. It shows yet again that preemptive testing does not work and can’t be used for real-time screening. Just because you tested negative today doesn’t mean you weren’t infected 2 or 3 days ago, and might be infectious tomorrow.

It would seem that all the "negatives-which-are-actually-positive" would argue for a more sensitive test. True enough, but then we might get into more false positives. Let's hope the vaccine makes this issue an interesting footnote in history - sooner rather than later. YMMV

This provides me an argument in the current environment that that no body needs a maid. Minimize exposure in a pandemic.

It would seem that all the "negatives-which-are-actually-positive" would argue for a more sensitive test. True enough, but then we might get into more false positives. Let's hope the vaccine makes this issue an interesting footnote in history - sooner rather than later. YMMV

Perhaps. But you are always going to have a delay between getting infected and testing positive. And learning that you are infected before you can infect other looks really iffy.

You have to test, and wait say 5 days isolated for symptoms. And maybe then test again, before you can feel fairly confident you aren't a carrier. You can't just test every day or two and go about your regular business thinking you won't infect others.

Last edited:

Audrey--this makes sense to me. So all those people who got tested right before visiting family at Christmas were just fooling themselves and their families. They could still be infectious and give the virus to their families. Which is one of the reasons we are in this terrible spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom