Spreads so easily......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronstar, thanks for the article. According to the Article, the CDC tests show over 95% protection if both wearers double mask. I have been double masking for a while when indoors. About a month ago I noticed that medical people in my area were double masking so I thought that if they were doing it I should too. I am now seeing more and more people with double masks. With the new variants being so much more contagious I figure I should do everything reasonably possible until my vaccination fully kicks in (just had the second vaccine today). I will still continue to mask after my vaccination is fully effective but maybe not double mask because it does make it a little harder to breathe.

But why not triple mask?

For a while in the summer my son was doing this at work...
87MEQfb.jpg

panty hose over the mask to get a better seal

https://images.app.goo.gl/YQkBp7uBuW3aHpiW8

Last edited:
I use a kn95 mask, and the article says that a kn95 need not be doubled with another mask. That’s good. I’m having my 2nd vaccination dose in 3 weeks, but I’ll continue to wear a mask until I get an all clear.

Be careful. If the double or triple mask results in heavy, deep breathing it may defeat its purpose as air slips in from from the edges. Breathing still needs to be comfortable, not strained.

COVID must be amping up. CDC is now recommending wearing double masks.

Let's see. First the 'experts' said masks were not necessary. Then they said that they were. Then they said wear face shields. Now they recommend double masks.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/double-face-mask-covid-19-cdc/
Well you know the real story. First a huge dearth of PPE for medical personnel so they were concerned about supply of quality masks as there was already a domestic shortage. Then it took quite a while to appreciate the large amount of asymptomatic spread which was a pretty new thing for modern novel viruses. At that point it became clear that even simple homemade cloth masks could help reduce transmission.

But with higher quality masks for medical people still in short supply, folks had to be encouraged to wear the available basic masks or even make their own. Now with even wider spread it’s time to wear better masks, and if double masking takes you to 95% then it’s the equivalent of the higher quality K/N95 masks. So even folks who don’t have access to the better masks can get about the same benefit by double masking.

I think the messaging about better masking now is really important. In addition to rampant spread, we still have way too many people running around with ridiculously loose masks, nose uncovered, etc.

I don’t fault the changing messaging over time. There has also been a change in administration, new people at the CDC, so I’m not surprised to get new messages as they research things that can work better for us all. The old messages from a year ago are water under the bridge at this point and we need to move forward.

Last edited:
Ronstar, thanks for the article. According to the Article, the CDC tests show over 95% protection if both wearers double mask. I have been double masking for a while when indoors. About a month ago I noticed that medical people in my area were double masking so I thought that if they were doing it I should too. I am now seeing more and more people with double masks. With the new variants being so much more contagious I figure I should do everything reasonably possible until my vaccination fully kicks in (just had the second vaccine today). I will still continue to mask after my vaccination is fully effective but maybe not double mask because it does make it a little harder to breathe.

From what I've read, it's primarily about the fit of the mask that is of concern. The second mask should make the first mask fit closer to you face without causing labored breathing. And as far as I can infer from their discussions, they are mostly talking about a one or two layer cloth mask over a medical mask.

So I got out my mask collection and tried all kinds of combinations of masks. My everyday masks are triple layer masks that match the WHO specs for three layer cloth masks with a removable non-fabric filter, plus adjustable ear strings and a fitted nose and chin. But even with the adjustable strings, I did notice one of my flimsy cloth masks over the top of it did make the mask a little more flush with the face, but that's not the kind of masks they are saying should be doubled up, as far as I can tell.

For Dr. appts or extended visits anywhere, I wear a KN95. I put a flimsy cloth mask over a KN95 and that really made the edges of the KN95 feel tighter. It also helps the fit if I shave right before wearing the mask.

So now we know why it's still spreading. Turns out you need 2 or maybe 3 masks.

Reminds me a bit of razor wars, 2 blades better than one, 3 better than 2.

What's missed I think is the real key: distancing.

So now we know why it's still spreading. Turns out you need 2 or maybe 3 masks.

Reminds me a bit of razor wars, 2 blades better than one, 3 better than 2.

What's missed I think is the real key: distancing.

I agree with distancing being the key but there are some situations where it is impossible to distance 6 feet--like a doctor's appointment or getting a vaccine or riding public transportation or even grocery shopping. That is when I am wearing two masks.

Has anyone proven that a decent multi layer mask with filter in it has been not enough to prevent infections?

My unscientific guess is that going to low risk places like the grocery store early in the morning and wearing a decently constructed mask is good protection ... maybe even great protection.

Anyway we are doubling down on caution with the news of variants and the knowledge that in about 6 weeks we'll be in the fully vaccinated category.

Has anyone proven that a decent multi layer mask with filter in it has been not enough to prevent infections?

My unscientific guess is that going to low risk places like the grocery store early in the morning and wearing a decently constructed mask is good protection ... maybe even great protection.

Anyway we are doubling down on caution with the news of variants and the knowledge that in about 6 weeks we'll be in the fully vaccinated category.

Well as far as I can tell virtually everyone is masking in my area, even outdoors. Yet cases spiked, which tells me masks are not enough.

When I go to the store, I distance. If someone comes near me, I go the other way. People in the aisle? I do not pass them, I retrace.

I get more exercise, but people seem to think a mask is keeping them and me safe. I disagree.

The one thing that keeps people truly safe is assuming everyone is sick and staying away from them.

I have not heard of anyone here in NC who got the first shot who has not been able to get the second shot. When you get the first shot you are given an appointment for the second shot. I have heard of a case where the second shot was delayed a few days because of supply issues but they did not have to start looking all over again. If there are states that make you look on your own for the second shot that is a really bad system.

DH got 1st shot from health department but couldn't get a commitment for 2nd shot. He nabbed his 2nd from Walgreens.

Most of the masks I see are the little throw away surgical masks or cloth masks, neither of which do much to protect the wearer. Given the pandemic is continuing to peak, it just seems insane to not have everyone in a good mask.
An ASTM Level 3 mask that is properly worn absolutely protects the wearer. Look at the specs.

My wife has been giving inoculations three times per week and she dresses for battle. She wears a disposable gown, gloves, face shield, sealed eye glasses, N95 mask with an ASTM Level 3 mask on top. Many healthcare workers who are in direct contact with patients are wearing a surgical mask on top of their N95 mask and also a face shield.

It would be really helpful and masks work even more effectively if people would wear the mask so that it also covers their nose. I see a large percentage of people in Florida with their nose exposed. :facepalm: No one seems to know how far apart 6 feet is either. They might as well not wear a mask at all. (Hint: the nose needs a filter too.) No wonder there is talk about restricting air travel to Florida.

Cheers!

My wife has been giving inoculations three times per week and she dresses for battle. She wears a disposable gown, gloves, face shield, sealed eye glasses, N95 mask with an ASTM Level 3 mask on top. Many healthcare workers who are in direct contact with patients are wearing a surgical mask on top of their N95 mask and also a face shield.
Many thanks for your wife and people like her!!!:flowers:

Even our HOA is now threatening a $50 fine for those not wearing a mask ON the property (other than in our own living space.) YMMV

Interesting recent finding:
Researchers propose that humidity from masks may lessen severity of COVID-19
We found that face masks strongly increase the humidity in inhaled air and propose that the resulting hydration of the respiratory tract could be responsible for the documented finding that links lower COVID-19 disease severity to wearing a mask," said the study's lead author, Adriaan Bax, Ph.D., NIH Distinguished Investigator. "High levels of humidity have been shown to mitigate severity of the flu, and it may be applicable to severity of COVID-19 through a similar mechanism.

I’m sure the filtration of droplets containing the virus must also have something to do with it, no?

But I’ll no longer be annoyed when my glasses fog up!

Yet another sad “testing is not enough” story. Seems like we’ve been here before - anyone remember Oct 2020? People don’t understand that frequent testing alone is not enough. You still have to isolate immediately for several days and have a second test after say 5 days to know that you are really were Covid-free, and still remain isolated before joining your Covid bubble, and you are still trusting that everybody else has done the same. And the Covid bubble has to be isolated from everyone else. It only takes a few lax people to infect others. It’s extremely chancy.

I think a lot of people complain about false negatives, but it seems that there can be a long delay between being infected and testing positive and people have to take that into account. Even when infected, you are not going test positive for several days at least.

The cruise ships keep trying this testing ahead method, and they keep failing.

Sure attendees submitted a negative PCR test 72 hours ahead of the event. And then what did they do next? Travel.:facepalm:

In this conference, where they thought their testing strategy was golden, 24 people, or ~25% of the attendees, ended up testing positive after the event. Wow - a super spreader event. Made worse I’m sure by dropping normal protocols such as requiring masks at all times and no social distancing.

Washington Post Story about it https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/16/peter-diamandis-summit-coronavirus-outbreak/

From the event organizer.
https://www.diamandis.com/blog/false-sense-security
This is the story of what happened, what went wrong, and what we learned.

Just as importantly, it is a story of what questions remain to be answered about the accuracy of testing before we can safely return to work, travel, relax in small groups, or see our kids off to school. If any of you have ever experienced a new confidence or an impulse to lower your vigilance with masks and social distancing after receiving a negative PCR test, you need to read this.

The story is presented in detail below, but the bottom line is as follows: Despite a total of 452 (PCR & Rapid Antigen) tests and four physicians on-staff during a highly contained small gathering, 24 people in our "Immunity Bubble" (~ 25%) tested positive for the coronavirus - including me.

I’m humbled and pained by what I learned.

Last edited:
Cases registering a strong decline in most areas.

Yes, it's nice to see the daily numbers slowly decline. We have several days between reported deaths now, sometimes. New cases are maybe half what they were following the "Christmas rush." Not saying we're out of the woods and no time to let down our guard. Just nice to see number trending the right direction - finally. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom