Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2020, 07:12 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
This is a page has 4 PDF links that contain statements by prominent people in the medical community, read into a senate hearing that's titled "Early Outpatient Treatment: An Essential Part of a COVID-19 Solution"

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/hearing...id-19-solution

There's also an embedded 2:24:55 video of the hearing.

Three of the medical community statements support immediate use of at-home interventions. The hearing centered around the question about the current institutions having no early treatment (stay at home, wait to get very sick, then go to the hospital), and why it's been difficult for doctors to offer early at-home treatments. There was a lot of discussion about what evidence should and should not be trusted, and how randomized controlled trials are great, but that other evidence is valid as well. A lot of discussion of hydroxychloroquin and how it is over the counter and in the mainstream protocols in many countries, and is proven effective if used in early treatment (proven by the low hospitalization and death rates when compared to the US). They talk a little bit about alternative zinc ionaphors (quercetin, ECGC) and just mention ivermectin in passing.

You can get through the PDF's in just a few minutes, but the more interesting stuff is in the discussions afterward.
This WSJ article mentions the senate hearing and suggests that Doctors are not prescribing therapeutics for early treatment out of fear of backlash. Probably stems from the politicization that took place back in the Spring that halted hydroxychloroquin use. Seems like malpractice to me.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/too-muc...ts-11606238928
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 09:11 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH and I started the iMASK prophylaxis protocol, except for ivermectin, which is RX.
Everything else is OTC.
Figured it wouldn't hurt and it has quite a bit of immunity building aspect to it.

I found a nice print out from Eastern Virginia Medical School web:
evms.edu/covidcare
Old 11-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
DH and I started the iMASK prophylaxis protocol, except for ivermectin, which is RX.
Everything else is OTC.
Figured it wouldn't hurt and it has quite a bit of immunity building aspect to it.

I found a nice print out from Eastern Virginia Medical School web:
evms.edu/covidcare
That page recommends Dr. Paul Marik's protocol, which incorporates all of the latest findings across the world. You can find the PDF here: https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_publ...ol-Summary.pdf to see what's recommended before you're exposed, at first symptoms, etc. I've found a doctor that said he'd "work with me" on ivermectin, should the day come when I have my first symptom.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I noticed Quercetin on the list of prophylaxis. I’d never heard of it before. An anti-inflammatory? I take curcumin (turmeric) daily.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quercetin is an anti-histamine. Some h-1 and h-2 blockers such as Pepcid and Zyrtec have been helpful in relieving symptoms for long haul patients.

Lots of clinical trials are beginning now, including some for long haul patients. An HIV drug, Maraviroc, has been proposed to treat COVID, as has Leronlimab. Check out Dr. Bruce Patterson and his company, IncellDx, for someone who is at least trying to help long haul patients. Dr. Patterson is or was a professor at Stanford Medical School and a long time HIV researcher.

It is looking more and more like SARS-CoV-2 is a persistent virus and is the underlying cause of many if not most long haul patient issues. It's also capable of mutating in the body, which has implications for vaccines and immunity. One recent article theorizes it will remain in the human population and become endemic.

ETA: There are no currently approved therapeutic drugs to treat the virus, except possibly Remdesivir. The current research is on the efficacy of already approved drugs for other diseases that could be used off label for COVID-19. Maraviroc is one. One of the most interesting drugs is GS-441524, a metabolite of Remdesivir. It is used to treat FIP in cats with a high degree of success in a treatment protocol pioneered by Dr. Pederson at UC Davis vet school. FIP is caused by a persistent alphacorona virus in cats that mutates. GS-441524 has fewer damaging side effects than Remdesivir and is believed to be more effective. There is at least one clinical trial in the works.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I noticed Quercetin on the list of prophylaxis. I’d never heard of it before. An anti-inflammatory? I take curcumin (turmeric) daily.
I'm not sure I'd call it an anti-histamine. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Quercetin is a plant flavonol from the flavonoid group of polyphenols. It is found in many fruits, vegetables, leaves, seeds, and grains; red onions and kale are common foods containing appreciable amounts of quercetin.
It's used in early Covid-19 treatment as a zinc ionaphor, which means that it helps get zinc through cell membranes where the zinc can do it's magic to slow down viral replication. From the PDF below:
Quote:
A word about quercetin. Some physicians are recommending this supplement to
reduce viral illnesses because quercetin acts as a zinc ionophore to improve zinc uptake into cells. It is much less potent than HCQ as a zinc transporter, and it does not reach high concentrations in lung cells that HCQ does. Quercetin may help reduce risk of viral illness if you are basically healthy. But it is not potent enough to replace HCQ for treatment of COVID once you have symptoms, and it does not adequately get into lung tissue unless you take massive doses (3-5 grams a day), which cause significant GI side effects such as diarrhea.
So you really want hydroxychloroquin or ivermectin as your zinc ionaphor, if you can get it. The guide in the PDF also recommends you find a doctor NOW that will prescribe what you need (don't wait to get sick to find out that your megapractice doctor is going to tell you to get horrifically sick before doing anything).

You can really dig into the mechanisms of action if you want to:
Quote:
... flavonoids were enriched in multiple cell signaling pathways including MAPK signaling pathway, PI3K-Akt signaling pathway, FoxO signaling pathway and cAMP signaling pathway. In cellular processes, flavonoids can significantly regulate pathways such as apoptosis, focal adhesion, cell cycle, and autophagy
from: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...018.00918/full

Meanwhile, back to the more general topic of the thread... here is a guide to home-based Covid-19 treatment by the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (a group founded in 1943):
https://aapsonline.org/covidpatientguide/
https://aapsonline.org/CovidPatientTreatmentGuide.pdf
Old 11-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Here is a video of an interview with Dr. Paul Merik, the author of the MATH+ protocol and iMASK protocol.

This link starts playing on the ivermectin slide, and if you listen to just 20 seconds you'll see how there are multiple randomized control trials and multiple observational studies showing ivermectin works. Dosing is 0.2mg/kg, which works out to 12mg for most people.

https://youtu.be/xy8XcBodQv0?t=1689
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imask.jpg (50.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #48

Anecdotally, ivermectin has NOT been effective in treating long haul (persistent virus) patients. A number of support group members have gotten prescriptions for it because their doctors agreed that it was relatively harmless and might have some benefit. Not one person has reported any long term success with the drug. This points to ivermectin having efficacy in clearing virus only in early infections, before the virus becomes established in the body. Ivermectin will be studied in three upcoming clinical trials. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/resul...e=&city=&dist=

Here's one preprint article that demonstrates viral persistence.
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...Mbu_0EHYXi0Nfo
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #49

The video with Dr. Paul Merik didn't talk about ivermectin in long haulers, but did say that in the three main phases, it was effective, and had a list of many completed studies that showed that effectiveness. As for the long haulers, I hope the right people complete some trustworthy analysis on various different treatments. Don't wait for big pharma, though, they'd rather have you sick and taking a drug every day for the rest of your life.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #50

Quote:
... senate hearing that's titled "Early Outpatient Treatment: An Essential Part of a COVID-19 Solution"
At the very end of the hearing, the chairman said something to the effect of that the hearing record would be "open for comments" until December something or other.

Does anyone know how to add comments to a senate hearing? I poked around a bit, but didn't see anything online. I'm not willing to break out the pen and paper, but I'd write something online, if I knew where to go.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
At the very end of the hearing, the chairman said something to the effect of that the hearing record would be "open for comments" until December something or other.

Does anyone know how to add comments to a senate hearing? I poked around a bit, but didn't see anything online. I'm not willing to break out the pen and paper, but I'd write something online, if I knew where to go.
Maybe send an email to your local senator with your comment and/or ask how to make an online comment.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #52
gone traveling

So what is everyone currently taking as a prophylactic, if anything?

I have been taking C, D, Zinc, NAC, multi vitamin, 81 mg aspirin since the spring, and just purchased Quercetin and will start that today. Have my quarterly checkup later this month and will ask about Ivermectin.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post

I have been taking C, D, Zinc, NAC, multi vitamin, 81 mg aspirin since the spring, and just purchased Quercetin and will start that today. Have my quarterly checkup later this month and will ask about Ivermectin.
I'm taking the same regimen.

Also, this paper was published this week.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...24857920304258
Katoslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoslake View Post
I'm taking the same regimen.

Also, this paper was published this week.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...24857920304258
Zelenko is worth listening to. This was early (March through May). I wouldn't take the antibiotic as a prophylaxis. The study was in the US, which means the population is more like us than some of the other studies.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #55

I like the I-MASK+ protocol. (I-MASK+ and MATH+ get updated from time to time, so you have to check the websites periodically).

But if you want to throw in a few more supplements, you might find some info in these articles.
Personalize Your COVID-19 Prevention
Personalize Your COVID-19 Prevention

Science suggests we can prevent COVID -- even when our best defenses fail — The First Epidemic (NOTE - STOP taking elderberry if you get COVID)
https://www.thefirstepidemic.com/sci...E7rVqz8xK4u-v8

Supplements and Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Eat Well Pros
https://www.eatwellpros.com/suppleme...irus-covid-19/

FWIW. YMMV.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post

Been taking C, Zinc, and 81mg aspirins daily for years. Calcium w/D3 three times a week.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:10 AM   #57
gone traveling

I have posted LifeExtensions info back in the spring regarding boosting one's immunity. The company continues to update its info and provides a good synopsis of Covid-19 disease:
https://www.lifeextension.com/protoc...immune-support
Old 12-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
I like the I-MASK+ protocol. (I-MASK+ and MATH+ get updated from time to time, so you have to check the websites periodically).

But if you want to throw in a few more supplements, you might find some info in these articles.
The first link seems science-based and very similar to what I've seen, but with the addition of glutathione, which I've not seen included before.

The problem with going around the internet and reading what "nutrition gurus" think is problematic because they have to put a personal spin on things to be relevant. And there's the fact that most are not clinicians. The second link is ok, but the third, eh.

The LifeExtension article is a thorough roll through the facts of the disease, is a good intro, but not a cohesive way to put together your Covid Cocktail.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #59

This is just SGOT who made this google spreadsheet, but there's a "Protocols" tab that lists protocols from notable clinicians like Marik and Zelenko. Even these two guys are not "mainstream" doctors, but they're at least somewhat respected and taken seriously by a reasonable population of other clinicians.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #60

I have been corresponding with an ICU physician, who helped me put together this blog post. May be of interest for those who wonder about life at the sharp end.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote