Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 04:15 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup if there is a prolonged mass loss of jobs, then the real estate market will be next.
The combination of all of this feels worse than 2008, unless there could be some true development of drugs to lessen the symptoms sooner than later.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 04:37 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
This is one time I'm ok with raiding the piggy bank.

The house is burning down, we have to put out the fire.

What are our other choices? Risk a complete economic meltdown that could last for years? What would that end up costing us?

20% or more unemployment means a lot less revenue and all the unemployment funds would get exhausted. Then what?

Not to mention a lot less money going into the SSA coffers but the same amount coming out. That 2034 date would have to be moved up for sure.

I will say that giving loans to big businesses sounds good to me, rather than no strings attached money.
Agreed.

At least the independent Federal Reserve has been injecting trillions of dollars into the national economy (which in turn is being lapped up by the rest of the world). Meanwhile, congress members cannot find the doorknob to the bathroom. They passed an $8 billion dollar package a few weeks ago, even though this crisis was covered in the news starting in January. When they finally do get around to giving hardest hit Americans a paltry $1,200 in April THREE MONTHS AFTER THE START OF THIS WORLD CRISIS, they will be breaking their own arms patting themselves on the back.

Now imagine what those countries without the benefit of a world reserve currency or good health care system are facing.

Buckle up - its gonna get ugly out there.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:40 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Evidently a great many people are afraid of anarchy, chaos, home invasions...guns and ammo are getting as scarce in some stores as TP.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...9-3867de57a94e
Old 03-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I am a engineer, not worker in one of the service industries which will be losing jobs left and right. Maybe I could work on the next generation ventilators.

Being upset at somebody getting a job is a bit like me being mad you sold off your stocks and helped cause the market to drop.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Not the same thing at all. I shouldn't have to explain it.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #45
gone traveling

No one is paying for it.

It's not like any of us are going to get taxed at a higher rate where we're paying a substantial portion.

This is free money now for the promise of paying a tiny portion down the road.

It's the main reason our economy grows. Debt, debt, debt.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

They will not dare tax you, nor me! They will have to tax that person there- behind that tree!
Old 03-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
They will not dare tax you, nor me! They will have to tax that person there- behind that tree!
Our taxes might tick up or tick down, but it's hardly like it's a direct response to this.
Taxes go up and down with every administration.

People complain far too much about taxes as if it really matters.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1) Corporations cry and lobby for massive tax cuts so that they can create jobs, driving up the federal deficit and debt.
2). Corporations instead spend tax savings on executive compensation, stock buybacks and dividends.
3). A pandemic or other shock hits and corporations are found to have no cash reserves to weather it.
4) Congress acts to shore up corporations, picking winners and losers, driving up the federal deficit and debt.
5) Corporations are saved, start earning money again.
6). See #1.
Closed Thread