Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And people lie, lie, lie about risky activities. Since March I have friends that I talk to by phone who tell me they are strictly staying safe, going nowhere, etc. Then later on in the conversation I will ask these same friends "What have you been doing lately?" and the answer is --I went to the grocery 3 times this week, out to eat twice, to Church, to see the grandkids, to a cook out. And they think they are staying home and taking it safe? When these people catch the virus will they lie and tell the contract tracer they have been nowhere? I now know which of my "friends" to avoid at all costs.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

The NASCAR All-Star race was held in Bristol, Tennessee on July 15th and was attended by 20K people. The event COVID-19 precautions included a requirement to wear a mask upon entry into the open air stadium and a maximum of 30K attendees (max not approached). Attendees were not required to wear a mask while seated. Many were observed without a mask while in lines to purchase concessions and memorabilia.

The following article indicates that they may have dodged the Super-spreader status:
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...244756652.html

Perhaps the open air stadium saved em'.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRE View Post
The NASCAR All-Star race was held in Bristol, Tennessee on July 15th and was attended by 20K people. The event COVID-19 precautions included a requirement to wear a mask upon entry into the open air stadium and a maximum of 30K attendees (max not approached). Attendees were not required to wear a mask while seated. Many were observed without a mask while in lines to purchase concessions and memorabilia.

The following article indicates that they may have dodged the Super-spreader status:
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...244756652.html

Perhaps the open air stadium saved em'.
But according to the article the reporters only talked to the tracers in the county where the race took place. It would be my guess that many of the 20,000 attendees were from other counties (the town of Bristol only has a population of 25,000). So if the majority of the attendees where from other places there is no telling how many took the virus back home.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #44

Interesting about the family gatherings. My sister and I are close knit. But we are separate households. We have had her over for backyard dinners - but with carefully crafted seating to ensure we are more than 6' apart when eating. (small side tables rather than the patio dining table.) I see her most mornings for a walk on the beach - but we drive separate, keep a distance between us, and wear masks. Family doesn't mean she can't get or transmit covid...

I see a lot of people that seem to think relatives (from different households) don't "count" when it comes to maintaining physical distance and needing to wear a mask.

We, as a country, are pretty dense.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah, sounds challenging. I wouldn’t want to be a resident of Sturgis, but the fallout could also be very widespread.

‘We cannot stop people’: 250,000 are expected at a South Dakota motorcycle rally https://time.com/5875694/sturgis-mot...y-coronavirus/
One summer I took a road trip from the Seattle area along I-90 to Spokane, through north Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, back through Idaho, Oregon, and back home--hitting most of the well-known national landmarks along the way. When I first set out, I didn't realize that this was Sturgis Bike Rally week (or two). Man, the bikers were everywhere along that trip. I had to sleep in my car many nights because it seemed that every bed along the way, in every nook and cranny, was booked by bikers (judging by "No Vacancy" signs and motorcycles parked outside).

That was some 20 years ago. I can only imagine today. A potential "super spreader" event may be the understatement of the month. All those 250,000 visitors are gonna go back home--throughout the USA... all over the place. We may know by the end of this month what effect Sturgis had on the nation--if any. (The City of Sturgis is gonna Covid-test its 7,000 residents once the bikers have left, I hear.)
Old 08-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #46

Quote:
I had to copy this post from another Covid thread. Talk about a super spreader event! This CDC report was just released.

SARS-CoV-2 Transmission and Infection Among Attendees of an Overnight Camp ó Georgia, June 2020

260 of 344 individuals who were tested following a summer camp were found positive - 76%! This included a large number of children. Trainees and staff had been there a week, then were joined by the young campers the following week. There were 597 attendees total. Some steps had been taken to avoid spread, but not all the recommendations. All trainees, staff members, and campers had to provide documentation of a negative viral SARS-CoV-2 test ≤12 days before arriving.

This virus keeps demonstrating that given the right environment/situation, it is just unbelievably contagious.
My understanding was that folks slept in the camp more like barracks style up to 16 to a room with fairly poor ventilation. (likely with Ac since this was in Georgia) So this hits the length of time factor big time with 8 hours or so a day for several days. Of course up till now the big factor has been to reduce outside air intrusion to make ac more efficient, but of course this conflicts with covid safety.

A thought there are whole house fans and if you left the windows open with a strong fan you get 3-6 replacements per hour. Good ventilation but requires the ac to be turned off.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I see a lot of people that seem to think relatives (from different households) don't "count" when it comes to maintaining physical distance and needing to wear a mask.

We, as a country, are pretty dense.
Yes, it seems like many people have a hard time understanding that even family from a separate household can spread the virus to you, and the same precautions are required. Maybe people feel like itís rude to wear masks or social distances from family, but relatives are still a risk. So much spread is happening by extended families getting together.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:12 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Same topic - that family gatherings must somehow be exceptions to contagion:
Quote:
In June, long after the virus' hold on most of the U.S. had been widely reported, Tony Green, 43, held a small family gathering at his home in Dallas. He had been getting frustrated by state and federal government guidance about social distancing. “It’s family. You know we haven't seen each other in a few months, and to think that you can’t embrace each other, hug my mum? Give me a break. Of course I’m going to hug her,” Green said.

Green, a self-identified gay conservative, quickly regretted the get-together. Just days later, 14 members of his family had fallen ill with the coronavirus. His partner’s grandmother died. Green himself was hospitalized, his central nervous system attacked by the virus, his bed in the ICU just one floor below his father-in-law, Rafael Ceja. Ceja remains on life support, almost two months after the gathering.
They thought COVID was a hoax, until they fell ill https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...l-ill-n1236183
Old 08-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
My understanding was that folks slept in the camp more like barracks style up to 16 to a room with fairly poor ventilation. (likely with Ac since this was in Georgia) So this hits the length of time factor big time with 8 hours or so a day for several days. Of course up till now the big factor has been to reduce outside air intrusion to make ac more efficient, but of course this conflicts with covid safety.

A thought there are whole house fans and if you left the windows open with a strong fan you get 3-6 replacements per hour. Good ventilation but requires the ac to be turned off.
The whole house fan is the compromise we've come up with for when our son's girlfriend visits. More than half of their relationship has been during the time of covid. Her household is also cautious. She and we wear masks when she is over and we out the whole house fan on. We kept them apart for the first two months.... But eventually caved to this solution after making sure her family was in the same page as far as being super cautious. The whole house fan works great here in San Diego. We don't have AC.

And even though she's here a few times a week, meals together are outside and physically distanced and we and she have masks on when she's in the same room (and the whole house fan is on).
Old 08-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I don’t know if we’ll ever get the full picture on this, because visitors are so far flung and spread out I suppose. Didn’t they say 460,000 motorcycles showed up? So far some recent Nebraska and Minnesota cases tied to Sturgis rally, a Sturgis tattoo worker tested positive, that bar that was already reported a few days ago.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/21/us/st...rnd/index.html
Old 08-22-2020, 05:51 AM   #51

65 people attended an indoor wedding held in Maine in violation of the Governor's max 50 person limit a couple of weeks ago at a place called Big Moose Lodge. 38 people, who either attended the event or were in contact with an attendee have thus far tested positive. The first death of one of those infected occurred yesterday. And that person was not an attendee. This super spreader event has been enough to spike ME's numbers, which have been very low. The lodge has been sanctioned and will lose licenses if they hold another such event. I can't imagine how the bridal couple must feel, having been directly responsible for someone's death. The memory of their wedding will always be tainted.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I just don’t get why people go ahead with these large weddings, etc., ignoring the risks to their guests.

I do observe that even if they had limited it to 50 attendees the outcome would have probably been about the same or just slightly less worse.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I can't imagine how the bridal couple must feel, having been directly responsible for someone's death. The memory of their wedding will always be tainted.
I'm sure they'll be fine. If they were the kind of people who cared, they wouldn't have held the event in the first place.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:07 AM   #54

Quote:
I just donít get why people go ahead with these large weddings, etc., ignoring the risks to their guests.

I do observe that even if they had limited it to 50 attendees the outcome would have probably been about the same or just slightly less worse.
Agreed.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:08 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm sure they'll be fine. If they were the kind of people who cared, they wouldn't have held the event in the first place.
Sad but likely true. ME has good contact tracing fortunately, so hopefully they will stem this from becoming community spread.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #56

Quote:
I just donít get why people go ahead with these large weddings, etc., ignoring the risks to their guests.

Often for the same reason people drive without seatbelts, or helmets, or when "just a little tipsy"; because they have done it before, and know others who have, and nothing bad has ever happened to them! It's like playing a game of Russian roulette, but with so many chambers that you've never seen a bullet in one, so you figure maybe there isn't a bullet at all. Until there is.

tl;dr version, most people are really bad at assessing risks and consequences.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #57

Quote:

DS and future DIL have pushed out their wedding plans until the end of 2021 at the soonest (no firm date). They are both mortified at the idea that their wedding could potentially harm or kill their friends and the ones that they love.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:24 AM   #58

Quote:
I just don’t get why people go ahead with these large weddings, etc., ignoring the risks to their guests.
Because some people have to pee on the electric fence themselves to learn anything.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
True, they could still have gotten married with few or no attendees and outdoors.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
DS and future DIL have pushed out their wedding plans until the end of 2021 at the soonest (no firm date). They are both mortified at the idea that their wedding could potentially harm or kill their friends and the ones that they love.
That’s tough. They could still get married legally and have a big gathering wedding ceremony later. We know someone who did that for other reasons.