Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wonder about golf courses. They're so crowded these days. My DH golfs @ twice/week. They take separate carts. Do not wear masks. He seems to think he's totally safe out there on the course.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I wonder about golf courses. They're so crowded these days. My DH golfs @ twice/week. They take separate carts. Do not wear masks. He seems to think he's totally safe out there on the course.
It’s easy to socially distance on a golf course if you aren’t sharing carts.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That’s tough. They could still get married legally and have a big gathering wedding ceremony later. We know someone who did that for other reasons.
Now you know another one.
This was long ago, but DW had what I still consider a brilliant idea. We decided to avoid most of the stress involved in a wedding and had a private service at a local church with only a couple of our best friends in attendance. Total of six in the wedding party, including us. Then we left immediately for a honeymoon.

To make up for it with all our other friends, we had our big reception on our first anniversary, so we could enjoy it as much as they did. Worked out wonderfully!
Old 08-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #64

Quote:
it's the 19th hole that's a bigger concern imo.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Our course has installed glass partitions in the carts, and I have shared a cart with someone who I know is as serious as I am about social distancing. We must wear masks if we enter the pro shop, bathroom, etc.

I take wipes and wipe down my cart before I leave the club house. I also use hand sanitizer several times during the round, and run my hands around the steering wheel each time. The flag stays in, no one touches anyone else’s ball, tee, club, etc. and I decline the club cleaning at the end of the round.

As you said, during the round, it’s easy to social distance.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:08 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
This was long ago, but DW had what I still consider a brilliant idea. We decided to avoid most of the stress involved in a wedding and had a private service at a local church with only a couple of our best friends in attendance. Total of six in the wedding party, including us. Then we left immediately for a honeymoon.

To make up for it with all our other friends, we had our big reception on our first anniversary, so we could enjoy it as much as they did. Worked out wonderfully!
DB and wife were getting ready to emigrate to Europe where she grew up, and so went by the justice’s office as it made things much easier for DB. Three years later (after her DMs many reminders) on their civil wedding anniversary they had a full blown religious wedding and reception with many guests traveling internationally to attend. And two of their children in attendance as well!

As for DH and me, we had immediate family only attend a civil wedding at our place, and then took everyone to dinner at a restaurant afterwards. We never did have a big reception or party. We didn’t have an immediate honeymoon either, but we had already traveled so much together we felt like we’d already done that!
Old 08-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

My mountain community , Banner Elk, NC, has just successfully shut down a potential superspreader activity. A roller coaster called "Alpine Coaster" recently opened. It has been chock full of tourists--no masks, no social distancing, very little cleaning. The locals call it "Coronacoaster." The roller coaster was opened illegally since our Governor had banned all amusement rides from opening under phase 2 (our state has been in phase 2 all summer). The local officials and sheriff would not close the coaster because they said it was good for tourism business, but I think it was really a political issue. The town does not have as many Covid cases as some areas but the numbers have steadily been increasing and the small local hospital is full--sick people have to be sent elsewhere. In the end a bunch of locals banned together and got the state health department involved and the coaster was shut down yesterday. Whew, I feel safer already.
Meanwhile in Pennsylvania...
Old 08-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Meanwhile in Pennsylvania...

Quote:
After arguing in court that holding an outdoor gathering that was expected to draw tens of thousands would “put the lives of Pennsylvanians at risk” and threaten to reverse progress on the state’s mitigation of COVID-19, Pennsylvania officials gave the green light to a June car show in Carlisle — as long as organizers capped total capacity at 20,000 people on the fairgrounds at one time.
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/he...s/202008190100

I haven’t seen any reports of infections tied to this event but I would not be surprised if it was covered up. They’ve been very reluctant to reveal any of the supposed data they’ve been following. The amazing part is this went on in June and we are just hearing about it now.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

For large events where you get many people from far away how would you know how many where eventually infected? People attending these events go home with the virus and spread it around. No one at the large event ever hears about these infections in other areas caused by the event. I bet there are many areas of the country just now being impacted by virus spread from Sturgis.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Here you go: experiments in Germany.

Thousands crowd into an indoor rock concert in experiment on how to return to normality https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/g...ntl/index.html
Old 08-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Earlier this week I talked to a fellow whose nephew canceled his wedding that was scheduled for July. He and his fiance decided to make use of their existing Honeymoon reservations and took off for a week at an ocean front resort. After a few days there, they decided to not let CV19 control their lives. They found a local minister, had a few hotel employees as witnesses and held a short, outdoor, socially distanced wedding.

Good for them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

South Korea has had a spike in new corona virus cases.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...061419765.html

Quote:
The 297 new infections reported on Wednesday mark the sixth straight day of triple-digit increase in a country that has managed to blunt several previous outbreaks.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Colleges and universities are reopening and then closing after big outbreaks. They are sending the students back home all over the country. A super super spreader event.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:40 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Colleges and universities are reopening and then closing after big outbreaks. They are sending the students back home all over the country. A super super spreader event.
And it has had an immediate (well, 2 week delayed) impact on NC's improving numbers.

They are no longer improving but going backwards.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
Well, we can't really blame them for trying. I mean, if you're not around college aged kids on a regular basis, you can't possibly know how careless and/or defiant they are about following directions. Oh, wait ....
Old 08-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That’s tough. They could still get married legally and have a big gathering wedding ceremony later. We know someone who did that for other reasons.
That is what 2 of my nephews did. Both got married in small, local-immediately family only ceremonies (one was close enough for us to do a "drive-by" greeting), with bigger gatherings planned for mid-2021.

This is just a gut feel for me - it seems that when food/drink is present at these gatherings, the more likely the virus may spread. Maybe those things work to break down social distancing, mask removal, eating, etc.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I golf practically every day, and I feel very safe. I try to walk the course whenever I can. It is very easy to social distance in that manner.

Using separate carts it also easy. It also makes the game go faster, as everyone can drive to their ball and hit in an more efficient manner. Some courses are starting to charge extra for a separate cart, but in most cases the charge is not too bad.

I have only shared a cart with one other person, a friend I have been around for several months who also takes precautions, so I was comfortable with that. We both wore masks while in the cart. If the course tried to put with with a stranger in a cart I would not play.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Colleges tend to be super spreaders from all kinds of viruses, due to the general crowding (not supposed to be in this case) and student sanitary behavioral conditions (more likely).
Old 08-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Colleges tend to be super spreaders from all kinds of viruses, due to the general crowding (not supposed to be in this case) and student sanitary behavioral conditions (more likely).
Meningitis is a good example of a disease that spreads on campus.

I was putting away some papers recently and saw my MMR immunization record from the early 80s at the college clinic. I vaguely recall some outbreak, and a request for mass vaccinations. I think it was rubella, which was late to the vaccine portfolio, and many of us didn't ever have the vaccine, or had a weak version.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
it's the 19th hole that's a bigger concern imo.
is that the Par 5 dogleg left?
Closed Thread