Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,743
DD and her fiance canceled their 150 people wedding scheduled for May 2021. They didn't think that Covid risk would be any lower by then. Instead they plan to have an outdoor ceremony by his family's lake house for the 15 member family. A big bash will follow in 2022 for extended family members and friends.
Corporateburnout is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #82
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8
Las Vegas casinos have been super spreading since June 4th.

https://www.propublica.org/article/c...ss-the-country
acronymous is offline  
Old 08-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #83
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
DD and her fiance canceled their 150 people wedding scheduled for May 2021. They didn't think that Covid risk would be any lower by then. Instead they plan to have an outdoor ceremony by his family's lake house for the 15 member family. A big bash will follow in 2022 for extended family members and friends.


My daughter is going to be married in March 2021. The wedding is to be outdoors, but the seated dinner and reception is inside. Our best guess right now is that about 175 friends and family would attend. But the ladies are making contingency plans if we have to limit the total guests to 100 and a second list as small as 50. That might make for some interesting conversations with people you don’t get to invite getting feelings hurt.

It is hard to tell how things will be going 7 months down the road, we are proceeding as if everything will be ok for the full party, but won’t be surprised if we have to scale it back.
beanctr88 is offline  
Old 08-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 2,875
DS and future DDIL have postponed their wedding from December 2020 to November 2021.

There is a chance they will get married on the original date, with only close family present, and then a follow-up service and reception in November 2021. We will see. What ever they decide, we will support.

Future DDIL's mom is very compromised, and I am sure that is a priority concern, as it should be.
__________________
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Never slow down, never grow old!
CardsFan is online now  
Old 08-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanctr88 View Post
My daughter is going to be married in March 2021. The wedding is to be outdoors, but the seated dinner and reception is inside. Our best guess right now is that about 175 friends and family would attend. But the ladies are making contingency plans if we have to limit the total guests to 100 and a second list as small as 50. That might make for some interesting conversations with people you don’t get to invite getting feelings hurt.

It is hard to tell how things will be going 7 months down the road, we are proceeding as if everything will be ok for the full party, but won’t be surprised if we have to scale it back.
In our state the current gathering restrictions are 25 indoors and 50 outdoors. If things stay the same, it would be extremely difficult to scale down from 150 guests to 25.
Corporateburnout is offline  
Old 08-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 573
DD just got married as well. With high risk people on both sides they decided to do a zoom meeting and had 20 or so ‘attendees’. They then did a road trip to visit both immediate families. Next year they hopefully will have a larger event where friends and extended families will have a chance to wish them well. Made a lot of sense but I know it wasn’t her first choice.
__________________
Wisdom starts with wonder
KCGeezer is offline  
Old 08-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Golden sunsets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
65 people attended an indoor wedding held in Maine in violation of the Governor's max 50 person limit a couple of weeks ago at a place called Big Moose Lodge. 38 people, who either attended the event or were in contact with an attendee have thus far tested positive. The first death of one of those infected occurred yesterday. And that person was not an attendee. This super spreader event has been enough to spike ME's numbers, which have been very low. The lodge has been sanctioned and will lose licenses if they hold another such event. I can't imagine how the bridal couple must feel, having been directly responsible for someone's death. The memory of their wedding will always be tainted.
In today's news, the number of infected people tied to this event has now increased from 38 to 53. It's small in comparison to spreader events like Sturgis, but even in small situations such as this wedding, the damage done is breathtaking.
__________________
"Luck favors the prepared mind"
Pasteur
Golden sunsets is offline  
Old 08-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rianne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
it's the 19th hole that's a bigger concern imo.

Haha, that 19th hole has me concerned as well. He always comes home with this big explanation...our table was at the very end...we were more than 2 chairs apart...there was a really good breeze...only stayed for 1 or 2. When he gets home, sprays the air with Lysol, goes directly to the washing machine, washes all his clothes. Then directly to the shower.
__________________
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Rianne is offline  
Old 08-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,743
How about this for a super spreader event?

https://patch.com/massachusetts/read...fections-study

Biogen conference originally thought to have caused 99 infections is now believed to have led to 20,000 infections
Corporateburnout is offline  
Old 08-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 29,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
How about this for a super spreader event?

https://patch.com/massachusetts/read...fections-study

Biogen conference originally thought to have caused 99 infections is now believed to have led to 20,000 infections
Yes, the Biogen conference was when I started to get really worried about Covid. I read about it a few weeks after the event. That’s when I finally understood how unbelievably infectious Covid was. I instinctively knew that such events must be happening all over the country as so many people traveled alll over the place on business and then returned home. It seems huge spread was inevitable.

But, wow, 20,000 infections linked to that event!
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is offline  
Old 08-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 29,958
This NPR article discusses why Covid-19 is so “superspready”
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...o-superspready
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is offline  
Old 08-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 398
Just as predicted Sturgis rally is super spreader event.
Sigh.
https://www.businessinsider.com/stur...-warned-2020-8

My sister worked for Biogen in Boston as a contractor.
She tested negative for Covid-19 and positive for the flu.
I am not convinced she did not have Covid-19.
She had to jump through hoops to get tested back at the end of March.

.
retire-early is offline  
Old 08-28-2020, 04:53 AM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, the Biogen conference was when I started to get really worried about Covid. I read about it a few weeks after the event. That’s when I finally understood how unbelievably infectious Covid was. I instinctively knew that such events must be happening all over the country as so many people traveled alll over the place on business and then returned home. It seems huge spread was inevitable.

But, wow, 20,000 infections linked to that event!
DW's niece ultimately got it from this conference. DW's husband's boss went to the conference. Flew back to the west coast. Boss got sick, husband subsequently got sick, niece got sick.

Niece and husband were never tested at that time because tests were precious and boss was tested positive as part of contact tracing from that event. So they just assumed they had it.

Both were tested for antibodies in July and tested positive, yes, more than 3 months later.
__________________
Retired Class of 2018


JoeWras is offline  
Old 08-28-2020, 05:11 AM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 29,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
Just as predicted Sturgis rally is super spreader event.
Sigh.
https://www.businessinsider.com/stur...-warned-2020-8

My sister worked for Biogen in Boston as a contractor.
She tested negative for Covid-19 and positive for the flu.
I am not convinced she did not have Covid-19.
She had to jump through hoops to get tested back at the end of March.

.
The huge scale of the rally - it’s got to be way more than 100 cases. But as invisible as community spread is, and as widespread the attendees, I wonder how many cases will ultimately be linked.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is offline  
Old 08-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The huge scale of the rally - it’s got to be way more than 100 cases. But as invisible as community spread is, and as widespread the attendees, I wonder how many cases will ultimately be linked.
I don't know if people have listened to Michael Osterholm's weekly Covid-19 podcast. https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/podcasts-webinars

Some college students were being uncooperative in both quarantining when testing positive and providing contacts for contract tracing. This may partially explain the difficulty in contract tracing for Sturgis.

In the lastest August 27 podcats he is predicting that we are in the lull before the next storm.
It is a rather pessimistic outlook.
If he is correct, come late September to October we will experience a surge similar to late July.
He estimates that at most 15-20% of Americans have been infected which is a long way off from 50-70% for herd immunity.

He also is worried about the FDA being politicized.
Essentially the EUA Emergency Use Authorization for Remdisivir turns out to be not a game changer.

.
retire-early is offline  
Old 08-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #96
Moderator
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
This NPR article discusses why Covid-19 is so “superspready”
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...o-superspready
If we can get rid of these super spreader events, that would go a long way. They repeat the "viral load is high before symptoms" observation, and also introduce a "sticky mucus" idea. Both of those suggest that a paper (no machine) antigen test that delivered results in 10 minutes is what we need as a public health tool (not for diagnostics, obviously). You keep these mega spewers away from gatherings and we do a smakdown on the virus. I understand the US is slow to allow this type of testing, but don't know about if other countries are promoting the "at home" or "at the door" tests.
sengsational is online now  
Old 08-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #97
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I just don’t get why people go ahead with these large weddings, etc., ignoring the risks to their guests.

I do observe that even if they had limited it to 50 attendees the outcome would have probably been about the same or just slightly less worse.
Guests that come anyway create their own risks, not the invite. We didn't attend a close relative's wedding in May. Just a big no thanks.
gerntz is offline  
Old 08-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 29,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
I don't know if people have listened to Michael Osterholm's weekly Covid-19 podcast. https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/podcasts-webinars

Some college students were being uncooperative in both quarantining when testing positive and providing contacts for contract tracing. This may partially explain the difficulty in contract tracing for Sturgis.

In the lastest August 27 podcats he is predicting that we are in the lull before the next storm.
It is a rather pessimistic outlook.
If he is correct, come late September to October we will experience a surge similar to late July.
He estimates that at most 15-20% of Americans have been infected which is a long way off from 50-70% for herd immunity.

He also is worried about the FDA being politicized.
Essentially the EUA Emergency Use Authorization for Remdisivir turns out to be not a game changer.

.
He seems to be one of the more pessimistic epidemiologists.

But several Sturgis attendees openly vowed not even to quarantine themselves if they tested positive, so I think we can assume minimal to no cooperation with health departments in many cases. At least some attendees have cooperated, otherwise we would have no reports at all.

In the meantime - many of the attendees hanging out maskless in bars/concerts look like age and comorbidities aren’t in their favor.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is offline  
Old 08-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 29,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If we can get rid of these super spreader events, that would go a long way. They repeat the "viral load is high before symptoms" observation, and also introduce a "sticky mucus" idea. Both of those suggest that a paper (no machine) antigen test that delivered results in 10 minutes is what we need as a public health tool (not for diagnostics, obviously). You keep these mega spewers away from gatherings and we do a smakdown on the virus. I understand the US is slow to allow this type of testing, but don't know about if other countries are promoting the "at home" or "at the door" tests.
Yes, avoiding/getting rid of the super spreader events is the biggest tool.

If we could quickly identify and isolate the walking dead mega spewers, that would be great. Businesses can be made much safer.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is offline  
Old 08-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #100
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 16,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
But several Sturgis attendees openly vowed not even to quarantine themselves if they tested positive, so I think we can assume minimal to no cooperation with health departments in many cases. At least some attendees have cooperated,
That would be the first question on my hospital intake form. "Did you go to Sturgis?" If yes, go directly back home, you get no treatment. I hope it was worth it to you.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you help family in tough situations? Keyboard Ninja Other topics 20 12-07-2011 06:09 PM
Forbes article: Super Rich and Super Cheap free4now Other topics 3 11-29-2007 12:20 AM
Super Saver? Super Investor? Or Both? DallasGuy FIRE and Money 30 10-18-2007 03:34 PM
Super cheap laptop cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 157 10-07-2005 05:38 PM
New contest rage in China: Mongolian Cow Sour Sour Yogurt Super Girl cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 1 05-28-2005 01:49 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.