Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It's early yet. Give it time, I'm certain there will be more.
I know. But I don’t think it’s going to be clearly advertised. We’ve already had plenty of time for the first round of cases to show up, but we don’t know how many folks are asymptomatic, or refuse to get tested, or get tested but won’t admit their attendance. I think it’s going to be more of a stealthy fallout - it will show up as increased community spread which is what we are starting to see.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I know. But I don’t think it’s going to be clearly advertised. We’ve already had plenty of time for the first round of cases to show up, but we don’t know how many folks are asymptomatic, or refuse to get tested, or get tested but won’t admit their attendance. I think it’s going to be more of a stealthy fallout - it will show up as increased community spread which is what we are starting to see.
+1

It could be the second layer spread to family members and co-workers might be the area with more severe consequences.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 09-02-2020, 07:39 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

More about the Sturgis fallout. Washington post puts the known case count at 260 across 11 states based on their survey of health departments.
Quote:
A Minnesota biker who attended the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally has died of covid-19 — the first fatality from the virus traced to the 10-day event that drew more than 400,000 to South Dakota.

The man was in his 60s, had underlying conditions and was hospitalized in intensive care after returning from the rally, said Kris Ehresmann, infectious-disease director at the Minnesota Department of Health. The case is among at least 260 cases in 11 states tied directly to the event, according to a survey of health departments by The Washington Post.

Now, just over two weeks after the conclusion of the rally, the Midwest and the Dakotas in particular are seeing a spike in coronavirus cases even as infections decline or plateau in the rest of the country. South Dakota’s seven-day averages for new cases stood at 347 on Sept. 2 compared to 107 two weeks earlier and its total caseload was 14,003, up from 10,566, according to The Post’s tracking. In North Dakota, the seven-day averages for new cases was 257, up from 142 two weeks earlier and its total caseload was 12,267, compared to 8,968.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...h-coronavirus/
Old 09-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

I notice that South Dakota has a pretty dramatic rise in daily cases from Aug 16. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html

North Dakota and South Dakota have the largest number of new cases per capita in the last 7 days compared to other states - and quite a bit higher.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

300 cases over multiple states are now attributed to the Sturgis rally according to CBS News and USA Today.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Not only Sturgis but they are also having a state fair.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Not only Sturgis but they are also having a state fair.
They are having the state fair now through Labor Day, which I assume should contribute more cases in a week or so. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...em/5709042002/

They also had schools reopening later in August, so that would also have contributed to the late August sudden rise in South Dakota.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
To continue the saga on this spreader event, the count is now at 88 with a prison outbreak and a nursing home outbreak now tied to the event.
The count is now 123 cases related to this wedding.

The venue supposedly misinterpreted the state capacity guidelines.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/123-cor...big-moose-inn/

Another update on this wedding super spreader. There are now 147 known linked cases and 3 deaths. The outbreak at the prison and church of the pastor who officiated, which are hundreds of miles from the wedding venue have catapulted that county into a elevated rating by the governor. The pastor has been in the news lately, defending his view of indoor event limits/masks/social distancing. He says he's done his own research and masks are not necessary, nor is social distancing or limits on attendees. It turns out he has been violating the limit policy at all of his churches, which he flies to in his private plane. He has started six churches in Maine, which he oversees. Whhhaaattt?
Old 09-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #168

Since August 16 our community, home of University Illinois has has 1000+ new cases. The best part? The students who tested positive decided not to isolate. It’s party time! Local residents...are WTF? We were supposed to have this awesome saliva test, test all students twice a week. The saliva test is awesome, results in 6 hours, but what good is it if you don’t feel like hanging out in your dorm room for 2 weeks? Anyone who’s been 20 yrs old could have predicted this mess and we’ve all been 20 yrs old!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Another update on this wedding super spreader. There are now 147 known linked cases and 3 deaths. The outbreak at the prison and church of the pastor who officiated, which are hundreds of miles from the wedding venue have catapulted that county into a elevated rating by the governor. The pastor has been in the news lately, defending his view of indoor event limits/masks/social distancing. He says he's done his own research and masks are not necessary, nor is social distancing or limits on attendees. It turns out he has been violating the limit policy at all of his churches, which he flies to in his private plane. He has started six churches in Maine, which he oversees. Whhhaaattt?
Crazy!

Just what we need - someone running around in his private plane hosting large gatherings all over the state, and defying health ordinances because he know more than the health experts.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #170
Administrator

Quote:
Crazy!

Just what we need - someone running around in his private plane hosting large gatherings all over the state, and defying health ordinances because he know more than the health experts.
My guess is that it's all about the Benjamins.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #171
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My guess is that it's all about the Benjamins.
That's a lot of $$$ if he is flying around in a private plane.
Wow.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #172

Quote:
We had our usual virtual departmental meeting prior to beginning the holiday weekend. We were asked to provide pictures of the "fun things we did this summer" and to discuss our upcoming weekend plans.

In a meeting of 16 people, two posted multi-generational family pictures of themselves attending large weddings in the last few weeks - no masks in sight, and everyone with their arms around each other, squeezed into the picture. Three others posted pictures of recent family trips to the beach with extended family; one posted pictures of an anniversary celebration (large group, indoor dining, no masks) and a wedding. I call that one a two-fer.

Three people (not the same ones above) announced plans to travel in-state for the holiday weekend - some to the beach, some to the mountains.

One fellow who attended a large wedding also announced quite proudly that he has been going to his gym 4x a week since March - the gym never closed (gyms were only allowed to open this week in NC).

We hold these meetings at least biweekly, and sometimes weekly. Based on the litany of trips and travels documented all summer, it appears that the majority of my co-w#rkers have never modified their behavior one whit when it comes to family gatherings. It's almost as though they think that their particular family members are immune from the laws of biology, and it's almost as though they subscribe to the "rules for thee but not for me" school of thought. It's almost as though they don't care whom they might be spreading it to.

All of the travelers/revelers above are between the ages of 30 - 50. They are the reason(s) why I am still strictly self-quarantining; why I haven't seen my own in-state family members since March; why I am indescribably happy that I never have to return to the w#rkplace, and why my aunt and uncle (82 and 86 yo) have not left their retirement community since March.

They are also the reason why the case counts on the NC DHHS dashboard look like this today (numbers effective today).

Sometimes I feel as though I am the sole remaining person in NC who is quarantining, and only going out when absolutely necessary, but based on the graph it appears as though other members of my age cohort (I'm 64) are doing the same.

I thought I knew a fair amount about human behavior, after 64 years, but this pandemic has opened my eyes to some uncomfortable truths. We are not, in fact, "all in this together."
Attached Images
File Type: png NC Cases_Sep 5.PNG (20.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

That's very sad and disappointing, but why would a departmental meeting ask for reports on what you did in your personal life?
Old 09-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #174

Quote:
That's very sad and disappointing, but why would a departmental meeting ask for reports on what you did in your personal life?
The VP who runs the meetings cares about nothing more than they care about "mandatory fun" and socializing. Every occasion (and many non-occasions) when we were w#orking onsite called for a celebration of some kind - all documented with photographs which were then shared with all staff; all taking away time I/we could have been w#rking, and all mandatory. One of the greatest blessings of the WFH situation for me has been that all of that has gone by the wayside by necessity - the only vestiges remaining are these weekly "meetings."

And no, I don't know how they managed to make it to (let alone keep) their VP position.

Counting down the days:
Attached Images
File Type: png Countdown_Sep 5.PNG (63.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 09-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #175

Quote:
They are having the state fair now through Labor Day, which I assume should contribute more cases in a week or so. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...em/5709042002/

They also had schools reopening later in August, so that would also have contributed to the late August sudden rise in South Dakota.
At least some of the South Dakota schools are starting virtually. Extended family members live there. Mom is a university professor - all online. Son is a freshman in HS - online also. She shared a picture of his first day of school - in a recliner with his laptop.

Edited to add - thank goodness they are on the other side of the state from Sturgis.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #176

I attended Sturgis this year. Another event just concluded in Deadwood. Google search or you tube search Deadwood Kool Nights. A lot of attendance and normal activity.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
We had our usual virtual departmental meeting prior to beginning the holiday weekend. We were asked to provide pictures of the "fun things we did this summer" and to discuss our upcoming weekend plans.

In a meeting of 16 people, two posted multi-generational family pictures of themselves attending large weddings in the last few weeks - no masks in sight, and everyone with their arms around each other, squeezed into the picture. Three others posted pictures of recent family trips to the beach with extended family; one posted pictures of an anniversary celebration (large group, indoor dining, no masks) and a wedding. I call that one a two-fer.

Three people (not the same ones above) announced plans to travel in-state for the holiday weekend - some to the beach, some to the mountains.

One fellow who attended a large wedding also announced quite proudly that he has been going to his gym 4x a week since March - the gym never closed (as ordered to here in NC until just a few days ago).

We hold these meetings at least biweekly, and sometimes weekly. Based on the litany of trips and travels documented all summer, it appears that the majority of my co-w#rkers have never modified their behavior one whit when it comes to family gatherings. It's almost as though they think that their particular family members are immune from the laws of biology, and it's almost as though they subscribe to the "rules for thee but not for me" school of thought. It's almost as though they don't care whom they might be spreading it to.

All of the travelers/revelers above are between the ages of 30 - 50. They are the reason(s) why I am still strictly self-quarantining; why I haven't seen my own in-state family members since March; why I am indescribably happy that I never have to return to the w#rkplace, and why my aunt and uncle (82 and 86 yo) have not left their retirement community since March.

They are also the reason why the case counts on the NC DHHS dashboard look like this today (numbers effective today).

Sometimes I feel as though I am the sole remaining person in NC who is quarantining, and only going out when absolutely necessary, but based on the graph it appears as though other members of my age cohort (I'm 64) are doing the same.

I thought I knew a fair amount about human behavior, after 64 years, but this pandemic has opened my eyes to some uncomfortable truths. We are not, in fact, "all in this together."
Calico, you are not the only person left in NC who is quarantining, etc. My husband and I are doing exactly as you are doing. I too am amazed at how people are acting (and in the case of some of my family, lying about it). If I can't trust friends and family to tell me the truth about their actions during this pandemic can I ever trust them again?

Calico, I have decided the only people we can control is ourselves. DH and I are staying safe and taking care of each other, that is all we can do. I figure if we don't get a vaccine pretty soon that is pretty effective then eventually everyone will get the virus. But personally I want to be one of the last to get it--I figure by then there will be more effective treatments.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:10 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
I attended Sturgis this year. Another event just concluded in Deadwood. Google search or you tube search Deadwood Kool Nights. A lot of attendance and normal activity.
JDARNELL

What's your 'best guess' number on the percentage of Sturgis activities that were held outside?

omni
Old 09-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
JDARNELL

What's your 'best guess' number on the percentage of Sturgis activities that were held outside?

omni

80 percent or more. People ride during the day or visit vendors. In vendor tents people would usually social distance. At night some will go into the bars but most bars are outside. One eyed jacks (a mega bar) could probably hold 1000 people and a lot of it is inside. Concerts are mostly outside also or under large tents open on 3 sides. Tables in here were spread Out a few feet. There was one place that I usually go watch live music at night that I did not visit. Lineup was bad and unless there would have been someone over the top I would not have gone and in that case I would have worn a mask. A lot of camping and outside activities with the rally. Make no mistake though people did pile up at times. By now most Sturgis related clusters should be understood. I wasn’t really concerned about going to the rally as I kind of knew what my routine would be. If I felt something was to crowded I simply did something else.

Here is a link to the Deadwood Kool Nights and it looked like a great event. Some are social distance others are not. https://youtu.be/ujxiUrOMNB8
Old 09-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Calico, you are not the only person left in NC who is quarantining, etc. My husband and I are doing exactly as you are doing. I too am amazed at how people are acting (and in the case of some of my family, lying about it). If I can't trust friends and family to tell me the truth about their actions during this pandemic can I ever trust them again?

Calico, I have decided the only people we can control is ourselves. DH and I are staying safe and taking care of each other, that is all we can do. I figure if we don't get a vaccine pretty soon that is pretty effective then eventually everyone will get the virus. But personally I want to be one of the last to get it--I figure by then there will be more effective treatments.
Agree 100%.