Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
The source that says obesity causes poorer outcomes to COVID-19.
I'm sorry....Carnac the Magnificent wasn't on hand to interpret your one word question.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 10:58 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Article also pointed out that a high percent of their deaths are from nursing homes and elderly.
I saw that in the article. I don't see why that matters, except from a purely statistical perspective.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I'm sorry....Carnac the Magnificent wasn't on hand to interpret your one word question.
We all know Americans are fat.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Sweden’s “approach” works, as it does in the other parts of the world that have adopted it: cover your face and physically distancing. Shutting down business in and of itself does nothing to slow viral spread if people still congregate and share airspace in other venues.
True but if you close or restrict venues where people gather or places which are riskier such as gyms, you give people less of a reason to go out and be in close proximity to people.

For instance, people can always visit each other's homes for dinners or barbecues or parties.

But bars and restaurants make it easier for people to be among greater numbers of people in confined spaces.

It would be interesting to see what the traffic numbers for restaurants and bars in Stockholm are, compared to pre-pandemic.

I've also heard that Sweden isn't faring any better economically than neighboring countries, despite not shutting down businesses.

For instance, have a lot of Stockholm residents been able to work from home or have then been forced to go into offices?
Old 07-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I saw that in the article. I don't see why that matters, except from a purely statistical perspective.
I was responding to another posters comment. Anyhow, tell that to the folks who lost loved ones. Nursing homes generally have elderly residents with pre-existing conditions, and further are ill-equipped and trained to handle Covid. Look at what happened in NY and in other states too when nursing homes have Covid outbreaks, good outcomes are not likely. Many of these deaths could have been avoided and probably the same for Sweden.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
It's basic common sense that if you test more people then more positive tests show up. The number of fatalities is a far more important measure....but I guess saying that there were 5000 new cases is more dramatic than saying the fatality rate is decreasing.
I agree with you that fatality percentages are perhaps more important, but fatalities are a lagging indicator. Hospitalizations are also more important and also a lagging indicator. Both hospitalizations and deaths are increasing, though.

But, but, but, number of new cases is important when the infection rate is also increasing, which is the case in most if not all of the spiking states. The argument that more testing leads to more positive tests is only relevant if the positivity rate is stable or decreasing.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I was responding to another posters comment. Anyhow, tell that to the folks who lost loved ones. Nursing homes generally have elderly residents with pre-existing conditions, and further are ill-equipped and trained to handle Covid. Look at what happened in NY and in other states too when nursing homes have Covid outbreaks, good outcomes are not likely. Many of these deaths could have been avoided and probably the same for Sweden.
I agree with you. I took the article, and your repeating that statement, to mean that they were dismissing the death total because it was 'only' those people. Because I have heard that sentiment here in the USA. My apologies.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 07-14-2020, 06:08 AM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I agree with you. I took the article, and your repeating that statement, to mean that they were dismissing the death total because it was 'only' those people. Because I have heard that sentiment here in the USA. My apologies.
No problem, it's difficult to read into the context or thinking when someone makes an online comment and none of us are mind readers.
Closed Thread