Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 01:53 AM   #301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
And yet the highly expected spike in deaths has not yet occurred (trend is down -
The spike happened back in April unless there is a second spike to come. But with 4500+ total deaths already and ranked 5th in death per million among nations with > 1 million, I hope there is no 2nd spike. Hopefully, the new infection spike is mostly among less vulnerable (young and the restless).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 04:38 AM   #302
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
Robnplunder where are you getting your numbers ? I can't find any numbers to match.
Here's one site that shows the numbers:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/

Quote:
No deaths reported on June 1, but 65 on June 3, 74 on June 4, 77 on June 5. Well below the April spike, but daily new cases are increasing.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #303

Quote:
Robnplunder where are you getting your numbers ? I can’t find any articles to match.

I even see this one

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-la...eks/a-53636403

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/. The number spike in the last two days is odd.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #304
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/. The cases number spike in the last two days is odd.
I wouldn't put too much faith in a spike in cases, could just be a spike in testing. Time will tell re: deaths, could lag cases by 2 weeks plus/minus, but that trend is decidedly down so far. Again, it's clear they're not going to have the best record (several Asian countries & Germany win there), but we won't know how Sweden fared until it's all over everywhere...
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture1.png (150.9 KB, 29 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I wouldn't put too much faith in a spike in cases, could just be a spike in testing. Time will tell re: deaths, could lag cases by 2 weeks plus/minus, but that trend is decidedly down so far. Again, it's clear they're not going to have the best record (several Asian countries & Germany win there), but we won't know how Sweden fared until it's all over everywhere...
No doubt that when it is over, there will be many countries that fared worse than Sweden did. One of my points I have been making in "Corona" threads (this and in other forums) is that Sweden is a rich country with resources. It didn't have to pick this strategy. So many have died unnecessarily, before their time. They should not have been "experimented" with.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #306

Quote:
Robnplunder where are you getting your numbers ? I can’t find any articles to match.
His numbers match this source https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/
Old 06-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #307
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Thanks!
Old 06-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #308
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No doubt that when it is over, there will be many countries that fared worse than Sweden did. One of my points I have been making in "Corona" threads (this and in other forums) is that Sweden is a rich country with resources. It didn't have to pick this strategy. So many have died unnecessarily, before their time. They should not have been "experimented" with.
Maybe so. If other countries did lock down and as you say will end up faring worse... does that mean a lock down wasnt effective either? I believe the thought was NOT to destroy their economy. Clearly, if their economy was negatively impacted the same as similar countries that failed. They also "currently" had a larger loss of life , as you say they died much sooner in most cases. The most vulnerable and especially LTC's should be better protected... lets just say i cannot seem to get any of my family members to let me put them in (now or in the future ).

This wont be the last time we have a "corona virus" hit the world in our lifetimes. Hopefully the faulty data models will be better and we will have a better response. We can follow Korea and Thailand since they have so much more experience (quarantine, masks, gloves). I would also prefer there not be an incentive for the providers of healthcare to mark patients as covid positive just to get more money from the WHO and government agencies.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #309
Give me a forum ...

Do any of the reports look at numbers of people who will have long term disabilities from Covid-19 (especially permanent lung damage)? I wonder in a country like Sweden where they are letting the virus run its course are they keeping up with how many people have long term lung damage or other similar long term problems? I wonder what will the cost will be to the Sweden to deal with a large number of Covid-19 disabled people?
Old 06-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #310
Give me a forum ...

Ars Tehcnica has a pretty good summary of Sweden's results. Their concluding paragraphs:

"These numbers paint a clear picture: Sweden's attempt to protect its most vulnerable hasn't been very successful. In terms of its disease burden and death rate, the country is paying a far higher price than its neighbors. Those statistics are likely to be contributing to the suppression of domestic economic activity, as people are less likely to fully engage in an economy while being fed a steady stream of news about the pandemic's impact on Swedish health.

And while Sweden's economy may not suffer as bad as that of some other European countries, its heavy integration into the world economy has greatly reduced its ability to avoid the global damage the pandemic has caused.

Put differently, many public health experts and economists warned that we didn't really face a binary choice between public health and the economy. Whatever other lessons will ultimately be drawn from the Swedish experience, it has strongly demonstrated that the experts were right."
Old 06-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #311
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Do any of the reports look at numbers of people who will have long term disabilities from Covid-19 (especially permanent lung damage)? I wonder in a country like Sweden where they are letting the virus run its course are they keeping up with how many people have long term lung damage or other similar long term problems? I wonder what will the cost will be to the Sweden to deal with a large number of Covid-19 disabled people?
+1

You ask very good questions. For some reason we (or is it the media) is fascinated only with people who perish. Crippled for life? More vulnerable to future lung problems? Those do not seem to be an issue. We see the same reporting deficiency in times of war.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #312
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

You ask very good questions. For some reason we (or is it the media) is fascinated only with people who perish. Crippled for life? More vulnerable to future lung problems? Those do not seem to be an issue. We see the same reporting deficiency in times of war.
Chuckanut, it is probably going to take years before we know the true long term disability impact of Covid-19. There could even be a "Shingles" type after effect that could occur years later. A country like Sweden could feel the full impact of the disease for years. The reason I am tuned into the long term disability issue is that I know 4 people with severe Covid 19--one died (elderly) and it appears that the other 3 will have permanent lungs issues (and they are age 40-50).
Old 06-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

We see this reporting deficiency every day. Morbidity and causality can be very difficult things to quantify and determine. Even in reporting mortality there can be difficulty in establishing the true impact of a disease/condition/situation. I think it is we, the media, and the difficulties in getting the information.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Here's an article about so-called "long-haulers" who don't seem to be getting over the illness. Because they were never hospitalized, they are considered to have "mild" cases but they in reality they are unable to function in every day life as the disease continues to incapacitate them for months. Not a pretty picture. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...months/612679/
Old 06-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #315
Give me a forum ...

Ian S, thank you for that informative Atlantic Article about Covid 19 disabilities. Scary stuff especially since most of the people who are having long term effects are in their 40-50s and start off with "mild" symptoms.

Again, I wonder if Sweden is looking into this. I have done a brief amount of research and cannot find any discussion about the Covid 19 disability issue in Sweden.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:22 AM   #316

Recent Sweden daily infection tallies have been inaccurate (posted then corrected) but the trend is definitely up. However, death is trending down slightly. They are doing a better job defending their vulnerable. (COVID 19 is not losing its potency. Just ask the South Americans).
Old 06-08-2020, 03:59 AM   #317
Give me a forum ...

It does seem that lots of countries are improving in terms of treatments, social distancing - particularly still bans on large group gatherings which Sweden also observes, and taking more care in institutions, that make it appear as if the virus is less deadly.

But yeah, some countries still being ravaged.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #318

Quote:
Recent Sweden daily infection tallies have been inaccurate (posted then corrected) but the trend is definitely up. However, death is trending down slightly.
I see we use different sources. Care to share your information source?

From 24 April to 31 May the 7 day moving average of the number of new cases ranged between 622 and 618. It has increased since 1 June. From 24 April to now the 7 day moving average of the number of deaths has dropped from 108 to 37.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/
Old 06-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #319
gone traveling

I don't particularly support what Sweden did (they maybe should've at least required masks) but if Sweden were a US state they'd rank about 9th in death rate. Of course reporting methodologies vary.

Sort by Deaths/1M, Sweden is currently 465...
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Closed Thread