Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley, I hope you are able to see your mom soon. Stats man, I agree on the gathering being foolish. I just lost a friend to Covid despite isolating. I used to mourn the loss of things but no more. What cured me is my best friend’s 19 year old daughter dying from a rare liver disease. I realized then that I would have given up all my possessions including my pets who are like my children to save her. It was very freeing to not worry about possessions.

My kids dropped off ham and pie. It was a rough day as I found out that a good friend of mine had died of Covid the night before despite isolating. I got in bed at 5 to watch tv and went to sleep at 8. Ugh!

Last edited:
It was a rough day as I found out that a good friend of mine had died of Covid the night before despite isolating. I got in bed at 5 to watch tv and went to sleep at 8. Ugh!
I am sorry for your loss. So sad that even doing the right thing by isolating hasn't helped some individuals.

Regardless of what people think about COVID, what seems apparent is coming down with symptoms related to it are not to be downplayed. I just felt this Thanksgiving trip by my BIL and his wife was (and is, for 4 more days) tempting fate.

I've known the two of them since my college days 42 years ago, even before I met my DW. My BIL is a goodhearted person, but sometimes, he has blinders on when he decides he wants to do something. He does tend to overlook the impact he has on others with his decisions.

Be safe everyone. Please.

Our first plans with 2 friends fell through for TG. Sniffles were enough to flush the punch bowl so to speak. So, early morning, I called a good friend with stage 4 "C" (currently homeless and confined to a Waikiki hotel courtesy of the VA.) I offered to pick up a turkey dinner for him at our local supermarket (they do GOOD deli meals in a styro box - yum). A couple of hours later, he called back and said he was on the way to the ER with severe intestinal bleeding. So we just got dinners for ourselves and ate them at home.

I must say, this is the worst TG I've experienced.:( It all fits in with the rest of 2020. Come on 2021! Come on Vaccine! God bless us, one and all.:flowers:

Had a great Thanksgiving at DS future DIL and her dad. They invited us and we got to see there new home and they prepared the meal. DS did the turkey spatchcock style. It was a great thanksgiving and so much to be thankful for.

We ate TG with our DD,DGD,DSnL, & his parents. We all feel like this is our bubble because we share responsibility with the other Grands of picking up our DGD from school every other day, & practice social distancing and masking. As we came up to the door our DGD,9 yr.old met us at the door with the temperature gun & proceeded to check us. She told us it wouldn't hurt because she had hers checked at school every morning. LOL . We all passed and shared a good time with just the 7 of us. We normally host my family TG or Christmas gathering each year but the family has decided that getting all 25 to 40 of us together this year would be too dangerous to our 89 yr. old mom. 7 brothers 1 sister, kids, grands, and aunts ,uncles, is just too much. Mom understands it is for her protection but is still saddened. I pray that 2021 will turn out a lot better than this year has for all.

BIL and his wife ended their 8 day visit to us here in Texas yesterday, flying back to California (Bay Area). Our nephew and his future wife flew back to California on Saturday. So far, no one from the 8 of us having Thanksgiving together has gotten sick (COVID-19 or otherwise). Fingers crossed this remains the case for the next couple of weeks.

BIL and his wife ended their 8 day visit to us here in Texas yesterday, flying back to California (Bay Area). Our nephew and his future wife flew back to California on Saturday. So far, no one from the 8 of us having Thanksgiving together has gotten sick (COVID-19 or otherwise). Fingers crossed this remains the case for the next couple of weeks.
Well I’m quite relieved for you. I think that if they had brought it with them you would know by now.

The post-Thanksgiving virus is starting to hit. A couple ( good friends of mine, in their early 70s) went to visit children/GC for a Thanksgiving meal "outside". Of course no masks while eating etc. A few days ago they both started feeling sick, the husband was so sick he was admitted to the hospital. They both have now tested positive for Covid.

The post-Thanksgiving virus is starting to hit. A couple ( good friends of mine, in their early 70s) went to visit children/GC for a Thanksgiving meal "outside". Of course no masks while eating etc. A few days ago they both started feeling sick, the husband was so sick he was admitted to the hospital. They both have now tested positive for Covid.

That is really sad to hear. I'm concerned that we are going to see a lot more of these cases over the next week or two. It's hard to visit grandchildren and not want to give them a hug. I hope they recover quickly.

harllee-- sorry to hear of your friends.

I think the Thanksgiving surge will be showing up this next week or so, just in time for folks to plan their Christmas travels:facepalm::mad:

Stay safe and well, everyone!

Oh great :(
We shut down Thankgiving, and also Christmas. We really miss seeing our kids and grandkids in-person. We feel the grandkids are growing up without us... sniff. But a possible alternative is that they may grow up without us at all, or vice-versa. It's been so long since we saw them all, and it's just going to have to be months longer. I'm not preaching, I just feel a tiny bit better reciting that.

We shut down Thankgiving, and also Christmas. We really miss seeing our kids and grandkids in-person. We feel the grandkids are growing up without us... sniff. But a possible alternative is that they may grow up without us at all, or vice-versa. It's been so long since we saw them all, and it's just going to have to be months longer. I'm not preaching, I just feel a tiny bit better reciting that.

I have to keep reminding myself of that everytime I get Covid fatigue. Grandkids are 2 and 4. Four years ago we moved to be closer to them and up until March I saw them at least 5 days out of 7. Now I see them outside only every few weeks for about an hour. Hopefully we can keep that up over winter. My husband who is high risk sees them less. The 2 years old don't even know who he is anymore.

We have to deal with an ocean between us and our young nephews who are like grandkids to us since their mother is young enough to be my daughter. (And we have no children and my mother is long deceased.) We would normally see them in person only twice a year yet we have a very strong bond, especially with the eldest, 10. FaceTime has been very effective for staying connected for us. We generally connect weekly. Even the youngest, not yet three, really engages over FaceTime.

We have to deal with an ocean between us and our young nephews who are like grandkids to us since their mother is young enough to be my daughter. (And we have no children and my mother is long deceased.) We would normally see them in person only twice a year yet we have a very strong bond, especially with the eldest, 10. FaceTime has been very effective for staying connected for us. We generally connect weekly. Even the youngest, not yet three, really engages over FaceTime.

FaceTime and Zoom are really great ways to stay safely connected. I wish more people would do these rather than having in person get togethers until we get the vaccine. As my doctor told me (over Zoom) there is a light at the end of the tunnel and he wants all his patients be alive when the light gets here.

FaceTime and Zoom are really great ways to stay safely connected. I wish more people would do these rather than having in person get togethers until we get the vaccine. As my doctor told me (over Zoom) there is a light at the end of the tunnel and he wants all his patients be alive when the light gets here.

Aren’t they just great! We have a video session with our daughter in LA every Sunday, and every Saturday night we have a Zoom session with a dozen households of my wife’s family and friends where we have a quiz night (I was quiz master last night). I also have had a video session with a GP recently, and was able to upload photos of my swollen knee ahead of the session.

My wife’s brother and his wife live close by their 2 daughters, and the one that is married is going to cook Christmas dinner for all 3 households then deliver the food to the other 2 households and then host a Zoom session during gift opening.

Vaccinations for over 80s begins here this week at GP offices so no one is wanting to risk catching it at this late stage of the pandemic.

Last edited:
The state numbers back up harllee's experience. Like clockwork, the cases started bumping 7 days after T'giving, and now 9 days past are going exponential. Worse yet, the percent positive went from well below 10% to now solidly 10% and above. This stinks.

Attachments

• covid-1206.JPG
    covid-1206.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 28
Wow, I am so sorry to hear this. That was my biggest fear this Thanksgiving having four people fly out from California to Texas to be with us. While no one has indicated they are sick, it could still happen.

Then again, given the nature of COVID-19, who's to say that someone couldn't get exposed after everyone from our Thanksgiving gathering had parted ways, especially the four people who ended up flying back to California.

Eight people in attendance, four from here in Texas, and four from California (two couples arriving on separate days this week). Have already gotten together for lunch at a sit-down restaurant yesterday. High exposure for my DW and I. I didn't want any of this. DW did, so I lost. BIL and his wife will be here until next Tuesday.

To add insult to injury, BIL dropped and shattered a 36+ year-old crystal glass on our newish (year and a half) granite kitchen countertop. We hadn't lost any of our crystal glasses since the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989, and that includes packing up all of the fine crystal glasses (22) and moving them 1,700 miles to Texas from California by the moving service we hired.

Next Tuesday can't come soon enough. :mad:

Just catching up on this thread.... Sorry for the stressful Thanksgiving you had but I found a real "positive" nugget in your post that you might consider being thankful for... You did move to Texas...:)

Alan, please let us know how the vaccine roll out goes in England. Which vaccine is being used? Would also like to hear of any side effects you may experience.
So happy that the vaccine has been developed relatively quickly. Our healthcare workers and system are at capacity and need relief desperately!

Alan, please let us know how the vaccine roll out goes in England. Which vaccine is being used? Would also like to hear of any side effects you may experience.
So happy that the vaccine has been developed relatively quickly. Our healthcare workers and system are at capacity and need relief desperately!

I’m sure there will be plenty of press coverage on the rollout. It is the Pfizer vaccine that will be used first (only one to have been approved so far). The government had ordered 40 million doses some months back and the first 500k have arrived and are in the process of being distributed. I listened to a podcast this morning explaining the reasoning behind the rollout plan which is:

1. Care home residents
2. Over 80s and frontline healthcare workers
3. Over 75s and those identified as most vulnerable
4. Over 70s
5. Over 65s (me and DW)
6. Over 18s

Categories 1 and 2 are less than 10% of the population but include 2/3rds of Covid deaths in the UK. The healthcare worker deaths are insignificant numbers but at present there is a lot of absence due to having to self isolate plus they are our frontline “troops”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom