Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
That doesnít make sense. If youíve taken the vaccine, why would you be concerned about being around people who havenít? The vaccine isnít like a mask, where you have it to primarily protect others. It protects you. Am I missing something?
True, but even the most accepted and widely used vaccines can't be used by everyone. Hence recent measles outbreaks because some folks refuse to vaccine their kids - other more vulnerable kids get it.

We won't get rid of Covid until we reach high levels of immunity. So, while as an individual, your risk is largely mitigated with a highly effective vaccine, society will still be paying the price (medical facilities being taxed, large gatherings limited, etc.,) until we get into very low transmission numbers overall. If 50% take it and 50% go on as they are, we'll still have a lot of sick folks for a long time.

I'm going to be thrilled to be vaccinated with a 90%+ effective vaccine, knowing my personal risk is manageable, but I wouldn't be inviting groups of friends into my home and eating into that 10% of risk, if they were known to be not availing themselves of the same mitigations.
Aerides is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No big family Thanksgiving gathering this year. First time for DW & I to miss going home (out of state) for turkey day in about 35 years.
Sad, but the rational thing to do. Lack of TRUE social distancing seems the biggest factor in population spread, (e.g. Canada's post-Thanksgiving spike in cases, which may be worse than reported due to a post-Holiday DEcrease in testing).
While 'normal' is a LONG way off I'm hoping things will be a bit better at Christmas. But the time frame is short to turn things around. Our long tradition of Christmas family reunion has already been cancelled.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply
Old 11-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We canceled Thanksgiving dinner with DD and SIL today. We have been seeing them occasionally, but with the rapid rise in infections, over taxed hospitals and a vaccine on the horizon, it just seemed crazy to take the chance. This truly broke DW's heart, but we both knew on a rational level it just did not make sense, plus, it was against the WA governor's order.

Next year will be better.
travelover is offline   Reply
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
We canceled Thanksgiving dinner with DD and SIL today. We have been seeing them occasionally, but with the rapid rise in infections, over taxed hospitals and a vaccine on the horizon, it just seemed crazy to take the chance. This truly broke DW's heart, but we both knew on a rational level it just did not make sense, plus, it was against the WA governor's order.

Next year will be better.
Aw! Give her a hug. It *WILL* get better, maybe even by next year.

Frank and I were talking about the impact that curtailing holiday get-togethers is having on people. Neither of us really cares much about celebrating holidays with family, probably mostly because we were often hundreds or thousands of miles from them due to work so we aren't used to being with families on the holidays. Plus, neither of us has grandchildren. But we both know people for whom this separation from family over the holiday would be so heartbreaking and it's genuinely tough on them! We truly sympathize and understand, and wish it wasn't this way.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Well, we can all heartily hope that this year is the exception.

I understand how important it is for families to get together, and Xmas is the big one for us with family members usually traveling from overseas for a good long visit at DFís house. But no one can travel from overseas, and DF passed away this summer, and weíre still waiting until itís safe to have a memorial service and gather. So itís all messed up.

But to me itís just - we had to make exceptions this year, for good reason. Everyone in our family is being patient.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #106
Administrator

Over the years, I have had Thanksgiving dinner in a college dining hall (USNA 4 years in a row); alone at the Spa City Diner in Saratoga Springs, NY; and underwater (twice). Spending this year at home with the young wife is not as bad as any of those. It's not our normal big family celebration, but it could be worse.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
True, but even the most accepted and widely used vaccines can't be used by everyone. Hence recent measles outbreaks because some folks refuse to vaccine their kids - other more vulnerable kids get it.

We won't get rid of Covid until we reach high levels of immunity. So, while as an individual, your risk is largely mitigated with a highly effective vaccine, society will still be paying the price (medical facilities being taxed, large gatherings limited, etc.,) until we get into very low transmission numbers overall. If 50% take it and 50% go on as they are, we'll still have a lot of sick folks for a long time.

I'm going to be thrilled to be vaccinated with a 90%+ effective vaccine, knowing my personal risk is manageable, but I wouldn't be inviting groups of friends into my home and eating into that 10% of risk, if they were known to be not availing themselves of the same mitigations.
And it is 2 doses.
And as I understand it there is a lag for full immunization follwing the second dose.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-need-to-know/
retire-early is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 04:32 AM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

Small family group of six (three couples) will meet for an outdoor, socially distanced picnic at a local park.

We expect the weather to be adequate or good, and the current long range weather forecast for Thanksgiving is excellent. If the weather happens to be bad that day, we will cancel the event rather than relocate to someone's home.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 05:20 AM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are having a total of 10 here. My sons family that we see regularly anyway is 4. 2 close friends that we also are seeing somewhat regularly. The only worries are my friends daughter who is in law school and one of her friends is also attending.

Since itís warm here we will have the house opened up and will be eating outside.

Iím not really for it, I felt that we should have kept it to us and the sons family. But the wife is worried about hurt feelings, hopefully we will survive.
dm is online now   Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #110
Administrator

This interactive tool purports to show the probability of one person in a gathering having COVID 19 based on the size of the group and the county in which the gathering takes place. I make no claims as to its accuracy, but thought some might be interested. As an example, in my county, if we had a gathering of 10 people, there is a 19% chance that at least one of them would be infected.

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/
Old 11-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This interactive tool purports to show the probability of one person in a gathering having COVID 19 based on the size of the group and the county in which the gathering takes place. I make no claims as to its accuracy, but thought some might be interested. As an example, in my county, if we had a gathering of 10 people, there is a 19% chance that at least one of them would be infected.

Very cool tool. As Gumby suggests, no way to know how accurate it is. Based on places I am aware of, it seems to at least give relative differences. We will have only 5 people for TG which is only 2 families. The tool suggests 4% chance for 10 people. Heh, heh, we'll keep all the windows and doors open and pray for Trades of 20+ YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply
Old 11-18-2020, 11:55 PM   #112

Yesterday we cancelled Thanksgiving at our house. So no (adult) kids and grand kids. One set would have stayed with us for the whole week. We'll miss them all, but better to miss them for a while, and see them again after the war.
I would like to thank our forum members who posted on this thread. Your thoughts and actions got me into gear to really think about whether I was really comfortable about going ahead with the usual plans, or not. I brought it up to DW, and I was a bit surprised how quickly she said, "then let's not do it".
It will be a very quiet week here, but it's the right thing for us to do.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:57 AM   #113
Administrator

DWís birthday is on the 24th, DSís birthday is on the 28th. He also starts a new job after the weekend on Dec 1st.

Thanksgiving on the 26th will be our son and us, with turkey and all the usual fare, for a quadruple celebration. Attendees are well down but the reasons to celebrate are up.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:34 AM   #114

Iíve missed many holidays due to work. The year I was married, I started my internship. I was on call 30 hours at the hospital on Thanksgiving. It was depressing. After getting through that, when I was 25, my attitude toward large holiday gatherings started to change.

I worked Christmas 2 out of 3 years during residency. One memorable year we had so many dire emergencies, from newborns to teenagers, I donít think I sat down except for writing in charts. Even in 2010, I somehow got assigned to worked every national holiday.

Iím thankful to be retired and able to cook an entire Thanksgiving meal, even though itís just us. And Iím thankful for those working the holidays in the hospitals like I once did.
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply
Old 11-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #115

Had ours (in Canada).

If our two choices for any holiday gathering are to have it alone, or invite a bunch of friends and relatives, against heath expert advice, and hope that no one would spread or contract covid....we will would spring for option A all day long. We would feel so guilty if a guest or family member was infected, or worse, at our home.

Looks like we may be doing Christmas alone this year if the curve does not turn. Next year will be better. Now is the time to play it safe.
brett is offline   Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #116
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

Interesting article with good graphics discussing the risks of Thanksgiving gatherings. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-is-dangerous/ Based on things I've been hearing in some quarters, hard times are coming.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #117
gone traveling

Quote:
Similarly in Washington - indoor gatherings restricted to families of same household unless everyone is quarantined for 14 days or 7 days with negative test. Sad, but it would be nice to be here next Thanksgiving.
I'm curious: How is it a gathering if everyone is of same household?
gerntz is offline   Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #118
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I'm curious: How is it a gathering if everyone is of same household?
A gathering is more than one person. Gatherings are allowed if the people gathered are already in the same household. That is, people who currently live together every day. Your son and daughter in law and their kids in the next town over, who do not live with you everyday, are not part of your household, even thought they are related to you. If outside the single household, quarantine and/or a negative test are required. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #119

We are having two additions to our household. My son's girlfriend... she's a virtual member of our household, over here most days. Her family is equally risk adverse and cautious. We made the decision to let her join our household bubble about 2 months after the shutdowns in March... (Young love would not be denied - they are celebrating 1 year together this weekend.)

My sister is also invited. She is *not* part of our household... she's family but not in our household. But we decided if we ate outside (good weather is expected), and kept distance... masks except when eating, we'll be ok. I see her most days - but outside, with masks on and 5-10 feet apart - when we go walking at the beach. She had a covid scare this week (tested negative)... so if she's still feeling ill we'll deliver a platter of food to her front porch.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:48 PM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

I just brought up the topic of Thanksgiving dinner with Frank again today, to make absolutely sure that we are on the same page when it comes to begging off any big family Thanksgiving get-togethers this year.

He convinced me that he won't feel one bit unhappy if we just skip all the family stuff and eat something simple, just the two of us. That is what I would prefer as well because I think a big Thanksgiving dinner would be risky due to his relatives' ages and co-morbidities. Besides, you know, I am a bit of an introvert and don't normally flourish in large groups like that.

Then, a couple of hours after we talked, he got a phone call from one of his family members informing us that they are not getting together this year. So, we aren't missing a thing. Honestly we are relieved to know that they are on the same page, too.
Quote:
Similarly in Washington - indoor gatherings restricted to families of same household unless everyone is quarantined for 14 days or 7 days with negative test. Sad, but it would be nice to be here next Thanksgiving.
Guess Frank and me eating a sandwich together in my kitchen on Thanksgiving would not be permitted in Washington, since we each live alone and our houses are 20' apart. But local authorities haven't made that restriction here (yet?).

Tags
thanksgiving