Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Thanksgiving
Old 10-11-2020, 02:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanksgiving

Just heard from my sister, who traditionally hosts Thanksgiving, that this year there will be no large gathering. Her daughter, who has two middle school age children is cautious about crowds during the pandemic and she's not sure if her son and his family will make the trip. So, this year will be different - just the immediate family and maybe a virtual drop-in with the extended family.

Anyone else seeing changes with their Thanksgiving this year?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 05:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanksgiving: Ours is tomorrow....I have cataract surgery Wednesday morning, and have been told to stay away from 'everyone' before then.

I made up a large batch of burrito filling mix, DW will wrap 'em, and we'll have Thanksgiving Burritos together.

DW's birthday the following Monday...so maybe we'll see the granddaughters at that time.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 05:46 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My DB usually flies up to my parents for the holiday; not this year.
We usually eat out somewhere; probably not this year.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:00 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW 67, me 69 both in reasonably good health and have already agreed to forgo getting together Thanksgiving/X-mas with son, DIL and grandkids unless we can be outside and masked.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:15 AM   #5
Administrator

It's just the young wife and me at home for Thanksgiving this year. We'll stuff and roast a chicken, make a slew of side dishes from the bounty of our garden this year, quaff a bottle of good wine and count our blessings. We are happy, healthy and enjoying our retirement, and for that we are thankful.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:19 AM   #6

This year, Thanksgiving will be just DH and I. Christmas...the jury is still out.
Aerides is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 06:28 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Itís just DH and I this year and we are planning a brisket smoking (our first attempt) extravaganza. And a homemade Jack Daniels cherry pie for dessert. Perhaps weíll change out of our pjs into leisure wear about noon....
Old 10-11-2020, 06:54 AM   #8

Our usual holiday routine is DMIL comes to us for Thanksgiving, and we go to her place for Yule, as she's really the only family in the area, and we hers. She's clamoring to do something, so we've told her that if we can rent or buy an outdoor patio heater, we might do a socially-distanced day visit and meal outside for one of those holidays, depending on the weather. And if it's not good, maybe we can drive down, chat for an hour or so (or as long as we can stand it, basically) outside, and drive back.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Staying home, no family crowds. It will be interesting to see what my sister does.

I don't like the trends of the numbers. I suspect by USA Tgiving, there will be a full court press by govt/media to back off.

To our Canadian friends, Happy Thanksgiving!

JoeWras is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

To our Canadian friends, Happy Thanksgiving!
+1!
Old 10-11-2020, 07:28 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
+1!
+2
MRG is online now   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It's just the young wife and me at home for Thanksgiving this year. We'll stuff and roast a chicken, make a slew of side dishes from the bounty of our garden this year, quaff a bottle of good wine and count our blessings. We are happy, healthy and enjoying our retirement, and for that we are thankful.
+100, Gumby. We have a turkey breast, and my young wife (5 years younger) will make her famous dressing. Her older son will be visiting the younger one in Nevada. Hopefully, we will see them all on Zoom.
Souschef is online now   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think we are on our own for Thanksgiving. DH will cook bc he loves it so. Christmas, still working on it. May go to parents' house and isolate in the beginning and then integrate our bubbles with them at some point. Sis and BiL are not able to integrate bubbles with anything due to BiL's job putting him in close proximity to the public, thus keeping the grandchildren away from the grandparents. Im hearing talked of using an outside farm building. Dubious of this. Gets cold in that part of the world.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

My sister usually makes a trip from Maine to visit my mom and I around this time of the year. She won't be coming this year.

She had Covid scare back in March because she was a temporary employee at Biogen in Boston. Test came back negative. But who knows?

retire-early is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #15

Sister-in-law flying down from their remote mountain top in Idaho with her adult daughter 2 weeks early for an early Thanksgiving that both my locally living sons and all 6 grand kids will attend. We are hosting at our house. We live in a very rural county with very low stats; zero deaths, 4 active cases. Everyone will social distance as much as possible, but we are not going to stop living in order to survive. The numbers and stats just don't justify the sacrifice. I am undergoing chemo for cancer and have been reading up on 'Quality Of Life' for various treatments. What is the purpose of merely surviving if you give up living a quality life? I've discussed with my oncologist and he gives his blessing.

On Thanksgiving, both sons and their families have an airBNB in San Diego for 4 nights. DW and I were invited, but we do draw the line at traveling that requires flying.

Everyone gets to asses their own risk level. This is ours.
skipro33 is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #16

We have our big extended family dinner and party at Christmas (not sure it will happen, though this year)
For Thanksgiving, it is usually just us and our kids/grandkids. (small group 6-8 total, depending on who comes)
We have been seeing each other throughout, so far with precautions, so we will most likely just have small dinner with them as usual.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #17
Administrator

Our son will make the half mile journey to our house where we will have roast turkey and Yorkshire puddings, but that will be on the Saturday (28th) as it is his birthday. My wifeís birthday is on the 24th of November so it will be a double birthday celebration as usual.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Itíll just be me and the cat, watching TV together.
Poopycat is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

2 of my sons and one stepson live locally and they are coming to our house for thanksgiving. We often invite friends but arenít this year.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply
Old 10-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #20

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but our big Christmas family dinner will probably be cancelled this year. No one has a home large enough to ensure proper social distancing for 20+ people. I'll probably only celebrate Christmas with people in my small "social bubble" which includes my parents and my sister's family.
Closed Thread

Tags
thanksgiving