Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m spending way more time with my DW now that I’m furloughed. She seems nice
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

The benefits of Covid 19
Old 04-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

The benefits of Covid 19

Ok. I’m making a list of everything I can think of that has improved because of the quarantine.

Air and water pollution waaaay down
Murders and other crimes down- especially robberies since everyone is home
Car accidents down
No school shootings in March/April
Car insurance reductions from minimal driving
We are now all painfully aware of how inadequate our healthcare system is
[MOD EDIT]
A lot of good books are being read
I’ve saved tons of money by not going to restaurants and making coffee at home
One by one drawers are getting cleaned
People are connecting by phone -people who haven’t spoken in years
Dogs are happy;cats are annoyed

Feel free to add your Covid 19 “bonus”.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got nothing.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

We are about 22 miles from the Palm Springs airport - right on the glide path for many arriving flights and east bound departing. Just normal to see 6 or more planes in the air at the same time in the morning and a fairly constant procession during the day. Now we see a couple in the day and the nights are pretty much free of flashing lights interrupting our view of the stars. Beautiful.. Walking is much nicer with few cars to contend with. The smog is greatly reduced over various cities. Neighbors are very neighborly - but that's not really different.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #85
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here are the predictions I wrote around the beginning of March. A fair number are positive.

If large population centers go under quarantine
- weight loss due to only getting staples, resulting in reduced obesity, reduced diabetes
- suicide due to financial pressures
- air quality improvements due to lack of traffic
- reduced seasonal flu, overall reduced deaths even accounting for COVID deaths
- reduced traffic resulting in less traffic deaths
- increased birth rate due to boredom. increased spousal abuse.
If companies tell workers to work from home
- companies will decide they like it
- REITs will take a huge hit
- even a small %age adopt it, results in traffic similar to holidays
- results in air quality improvements resulting in less traffic deaths
- improved access to accomodations for disabled people once remote infrastructure is in place
- decreased dependance on oil, resulting in reduced adoption of EV's
General after the fact
- Improved sustainability of pension plans due to deaths of older people
- Improved sustainability of health care due to deaths of older people
Old 04-14-2020, 08:44 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

I have seen were people are helping people more in these times. People shopping for elderly and I do believe it has a humbling effect on many people.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:03 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Life hasn't changed at all for us. Didn't have a job to go to. We still run, play tennis and take our boat to local lakes to fish. Don't know anyone sick. You couldn't have a flatter curve, no new cases in a week. We are isolated naturally here in the great outdoors.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:27 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

The clean air is so much more refreshing. When I take a deep breath the lack of exhaust pollutants makes it smell so much fresher! It's invigorating. I never realized it before but my body was preventing me from inhaling the auto exhaust laden air too deeply. I never realized how much cars degraded our daily lives.

Also, at night the stars are shining brightly on a deeper blue background. I never realized how much the "look" of everything was made dingier looking by auto exhaust! Even at night.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:57 AM   #89
gone traveling

This pandemic has somehow brought the families together, we have started eating healthy, children are happy all around the globe and it has made me nostalgic by looking at all the kids playing in the streets. Plus, the nature has never been better.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:22 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

* the silence, even in urban areas. Instead of traffic noise, I hear the birds chirping and the church bells ringing.
* better air quality and crisper view over the surrounding mountains.
* this crisis helps to reveal people's true character. It makes it easier to weed out the maladjusted loons.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAtThirty-eight View Post
The clean air is so much more refreshing. When I take a deep breath the lack of exhaust pollutants makes it smell so much fresher! It's invigorating. I never realized it before but my body was preventing me from inhaling the auto exhaust laden air too deeply. I never realized how much cars degraded our daily lives.

Also, at night the stars are shining brightly on a deeper blue background. I never realized how much the "look" of everything was made dingier looking by auto exhaust! Even at night.
I always used to laughed at the the "health enthusiasts" who would jog/run along the major highway near where I used to work. I figured that they were exercising their hearts while doing the equivalent of smoking a pack a day by sucking down the exhaust.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many of my friends are working women with kids. Every single one has told me that they're enjoyed the lack of "hurry" and "busy" that went with life before Coronavirus. I am more strict about that than most moms I know- I only allow my kids one extra-curricular activity per half year- many moms I know let their kids participate in multiple activities at a time. We are all enjoying just relaxing after work (those of us who still do that) and on weekends, with no "whatever" practice to worry about.

One girlfriend said it was a good lesson for all of us, but confessed she'd probably go right back to over-scheduling herself and her kids when this is over. I won't though- my time left at work is nearly done.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

That dogs never, ever, have too many walks. Me neither.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Many of my friends are working women with kids. Every single one has told me that they're enjoyed the lack of "hurry" and "busy" that went with life before Coronavirus.
I suspect that excludes the working mothers who are having to work from home, with young kids around. DD is doing it, but she's exhausted. Her 3 year old wants her attention all the time, and her boss wants her to keep up to speed at home vs. being in the office. Working over a VPN just isn't the same as being on a local network. And getting interrupted 20 times an hour isn't conducive to high output either. She ends up having to stay up late to finish her work after DGD goes to bed.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #95

Others above probably already said this, but the animal shelters are nearly empty.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I suspect that excludes the working mothers who are having to work from home, with young kids around. DD is doing it, but she's exhausted. Her 3 year old wants her attention all the time, and her boss wants her to keep up to speed at home vs. being in the office. Working over a VPN just isn't the same as being on a local network. And getting interrupted 20 times an hour isn't conducive to high output either. She ends up having to stay up late to finish her work after DGD goes to bed.
Yes, I didn't think of that. Most of my friends have teenage kids. I am allowing them to sleep late (and stay up late) because it gives me peace and quiet in the mornings.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Others above probably already said this, but the animal shelters are nearly empty.
Why?
Old 04-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Why?
More people home and have time/energy to take care of a pet. I have to wonder what will happen with them (the pets) when this is all over.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
More people home and have time/energy to take care of a pet. I have to wonder what will happen with them (the pets) when this is all over.

DW and I have speculated about all the dogs getting very used to daily walks from their owners. They’re not gonna be happy if things went back to normal and will let their unsuspecting owners know about it.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

My dogs always get daily walks, I'm retired.
Closed Thread