Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I live in the country. Nobody walks dogs, they just run around outside.
I live in the country, too. I walk my dog on a leash, the neighbors let their dogs run loose and poop in my yard. No dog poops in their own yard if given a choice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2020, 10:58 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
No dog poops in their own yard if given a choice.
How true....when I bought my then eight week old newly acquired Border Collie home, (we lived on just over half an acre, no fences), I walked him around the property and showed him the perimeters.

Almost from then on he'd cross over to the neighbor's property to go. (They had a dog too, but I'd watch mine, from our window. deliberately do it and I'd go and clean it up.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-17-2020, 05:03 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Strange, since many are quite willing to do it inside their own house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
No dog poops in their own yard if given a choice.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:24 AM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

I see remote working becoming more prevalent. I suspect that management will see an increase in productivity from remote workers during this pandemic, and they will allow more of it going forward. Lots of positives to working from home if done effectively.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I see remote working becoming more prevalent. I suspect that management will see an increase in productivity from remote workers during this pandemic, and they will allow more of it going forward. Lots of positives to working from home if done effectively.
I see many positives for the company and for the worker staying at home.

What is your thoughts of this style of stay at home work, effect the economy and over all growth of our country?

Would there be less money spent by companies and the people working remote? More money spent each day is what drives growth and keeps doors open for business. Will this have any effect on that?
Old 04-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Quote:
“All animals dogs are equal, but some animals dogs are more equal than others.”
Apologies to George Orwell.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

I traveled and telecommuted the last 13 years of my career as my assigned office was over 300 miles from home. I think companies will have happier, more motivated and productive employees.

I "worked" with many people in the firm that I never met... just by phone and email. While I think it is nicer to meet colleagues and break bread a bit, it isn't necessary to have a productive work relationship IME.

Importantly, we've seen a noticeable and dramatic drop in air and water pollution as a result in the drop off of activity and hopefully we'll be able to retain some of those improvements for the sake of the planet.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

^ Gotcha. Will working from home with buying less cloths, less fuel, less lunches out etc. etc. what effect will that have on a growing economy?

Just looking for thoughts on what effect with millions working at home have on economy?

I sure can see the benefits for worker and for company, what will it do for down town etc.?
Old 04-17-2020, 11:17 AM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I happened upon a radio show I used to love- it's a phone ads program from a very rural community barely in listening distance. People sell everything- things you wouldn't think anyone would want. Some notable items this week- fresh fish for canning, fighting chicken chicks, a rear tractor tire, and a blue nosed mule broken to harness. Also lots of guns and farm implements, livestock and guns. We don't want anything but we all love to listen including my kids.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Here is a hypothesis... with so many employees working from home.... if it works well some companies may question why they bother to own or lease so much expensive office space and may downsize their space dramatically to a much smaller office, allowing employees to work from home and having occasional team meetings as needed by renting space at a conference center near to corporate headquarters. Lower costs for the employer and happier employees... not so good for lessors though.
I still have a modest legacy position in a REIT fund which has a huge unrealized cap gain. I’m expecting REITs to be hit very, very hard by this. Commercial, retail, you name it.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I still have a modest legacy position in a REIT fund which has a huge unrealized cap gain. I’m expecting REITs to be hit very, very hard by this. Commercial, retail, you name it.
I sold my REIT position yesterday. I've been in Rick Ferri's Core 4 portfolio for a while, it has been fine, but I too think REITs might be the worst place to be for the coming year.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 04-17-2020, 11:54 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I sold my REIT position yesterday. I've been in Rick Ferri's Core 4 portfolio for a while, it has been fine, but I too think REITs might be the worst place to be for the coming year.
I decided to ride it out. I can wait 10+ years. I haven’t added to it in years and it’s now a small position compared to the rest of my portfolio.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Well, that's good news about the dogs getting adopted. Even if some of them get returned to the shelter later, the rest will have found homes.

I laughed at the line about "dogs are happy, cats are not."

As for the original question, I'm enjoying the fact that avoiding people is the socially responsible thing to do. It's refreshing to feel that indulging my introversion is doing the right thing.
I admit we’ve been enjoying the peace and quiet. I haven’t been lonely either, but I have my DH sheltering with me, so that makes a big difference.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #134

Quote:
People sell everything- things you wouldn't think anyone would want. Some notable items this week- fresh fish for canning, fighting chicken chicks, a rear tractor tire, and a blue nosed mule broken to harness.
I'd heard of a "blue nosed gopher" from Roy Rogers, but never a blue nosed mule and had to look that one up. The things I learn on this forum!
Old 04-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Actually they are quite willing to poop in their annoying owner's house.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Optimism is the ability to see good in any situation, no matter how grim. Many of the posts have cheered me up. That's worth something. I think quarantine is working and worth some sacrifice. Isn't it valuable to make it easier to bear?
Yes, and thank you!
Old 04-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #137

Whatever positives there might be are heavily outweighed by the negatives for this pandemic. Millions of lives will be seriously damaged, and given the desire to stay locked down indefinitely, millions more will follow. The finger-pointing will rage on for years (it's already ugly now).
Old 04-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Whatever positives there might be are heavily outweighed by the negatives for this pandemic. Millions of lives will be seriously damaged, and given the desire to stay locked down indefinitely, millions more will follow. The finger-pointing will rage on for years (it's already ugly now), and what little chance there might have been to come to some sort of common ground politically in the US has been obliterated by COVID-19.
Can't agree with the last sentence. Reach common ground politically?

Hahaha

Covid did nothing to change the 0% chance that was ever going to happen.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, never gonna happen. Those days are gone forever. Trench warfare rules!
Old 04-17-2020, 08:50 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Whatever positives there might be are heavily outweighed by the negatives for this pandemic. Millions of lives will be seriously damaged, and given the desire to stay locked down indefinitely, millions more will follow. The finger-pointing will rage on for years (it's already ugly now).
I agree the positives are outweighed by the negatives. But it's still a good idea to count your blessings. I am a lucky woman, and I know it. I am enjoying the extra time with my family. I know it comes at a horrendous cost. My mom almost died. Millions are out of work, but if the choice is being at home and enjoying it and being at home and not enjoying it, why wouldn't you? A smile and some gratitude costs nothing and it's good for your blood pressure.