Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Atlantic, writing long-form articles about straw men? Never! [/sarc off]

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Atlantic tell us something we don't know...not sure of the point of this whole article.

If you are wondering yes, I did read the entire article and it's got a pretty political slant. So I guess that would be the point of the article.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #23

There are probably people "out there" who believe that (kinda like the movie contagion?) soon we'll have a vaccine which will equal immunity and...voila? So maybe that's the audience for this piece - the low-information reader (but also not then likely one of their readers? idk..)

But all the early vaccines are going to work like the flu ones. 50 - 70% immunity (still, worth it!). Good, not perfect, and not for everyone. At the same time, therapies are evolving. So, yeah one day, we'll get to a place where the virus infection rate is significantly reduced, and the risk of severe illness from it is also brought down.

Gradually the risk will be acceptable, and manageable, for more and more of us.
Aerides is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
But all the early vaccines are going to work like the flu ones. 50 - 70% immunity (still, worth it!). Good, not perfect, and not for everyone. At the same time, therapies are evolving. So, yeah one day, we'll get to a place where the virus infection rate is significantly reduced, and the risk of severe illness from it is also brought down.

Gradually the risk will be acceptable, and manageable, for more and more of us.
Good point I hadn't really thought about.

After I get the vaccine, while it reduces my chance of catching covid-19 by maybe 70%, I'm still at risk 30% when I met an infected person.

Only after everyone else (or 90%) of everyone has also had the vaccine, will my chances of running into an infected person drop to so low that my then 30% chance of being infected by them is close to ignore it.

I'd rather have a movie ending
Old 09-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Good point I hadn't really thought about.

After I get the vaccine, while it reduces my chance of catching covid-19 by maybe 70%, I'm still at risk 30% when I met an infected person.

Only after everyone else (or 90%) of everyone has also had the vaccine, will my chances of running into an infected person drop to so low that my then 30% chance of being infected by them is close to ignore it.

I'd rather have a movie ending
The other question is a regular flu shot can mean if you do get the flu it could be reduced in severity. Will this be the case for a COVID vaccine?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I have mixed feelings. All news articles are to be taken with a pinch of salt as most have their own agendas. I do not believe much said about Covid by anyone who is not of a medical/scientific ilk.

That said, sooner or later, those who are going to catch it will, those who are going to die from it will. The rest of us will muddle along taking our own sanctioned precautions, living life to the fullest we can. Enjoying simple pleasures like walking on the beach, our hobbies, and hanging with those of similar thinking. Actually exactly what we did before the pandemic.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'm with your friend. This dangerous virus was let loose in the world, it's not going to go away, and we have to adjust to it. Personally I am still figuring out adjustments. For example, a close relative is in very bad health and not expected to live much longer. Funeral plans have been mentioned. Do we make the 1,000 mile trip to the funeral? Does anybody even dare go to a funeral? How awful would we feel if we said "Sorry, can't go because of COVID"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
My nurse friend told me that this will be around for a long time and we all need to adjust to a new way of doing things.
Amethyst is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Regardless of clear end or not, I'm still gonna be a frequent hand washer and non-face toucher .
Old 09-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Regardless of clear end or not, I'm still gonna be a frequent hand washer and non-face toucher .

+1. But I’m done staying at home. I’m going to start roaming again soon.
Ronstar is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #30

I can't imagine who thought there'd be a "sudden end" to Covid. It is a disease, after all. One certainly can't imagine there was a sudden end to the 1917-era flu pandemic or the Black Plague eras. Rather, pockets continued to break out in certain areas until finally subsiding, no doubt for years.

I haven't given into one second of time being afraid of Covid. I just take the prescribed precautions, wear my mask as ordered by law, and get on with life. It does not keep me from doing anything I want to do.
Marita40 is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I can't imagine who thought there'd be a "sudden end" to Covid.
I can.
Ian S is online now   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm with your friend. This dangerous virus was let loose in the world, it's not going to go away, and we have to adjust to it. Personally I am still figuring out adjustments. For example, a close relative is in very bad health and not expected to live much longer. Funeral plans have been mentioned. Do we make the 1,000 mile trip to the funeral? Does anybody even dare go to a funeral? How awful would we feel if we said "Sorry, can't go because of COVID"?
I thought generally only funerals with immediate family were being held. We’re waiting for DF’s memorial service until it’s very safe. Otherwise what is the point? We want friends and family to be able to safely gather to remember him.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I can.
Oh I’ve definitely heard people say things like “this better be over soon”. And I wonder what they expect.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
+1. But I’m done staying at home. I’m going to start roaming again soon.
I agree. I don't think we should be required to stay home and endure lockdowns for an indefinite period of time, at some point if there are too many restrictions for too long then life is not worth living as far as I'm concerned and at some point it goes beyond what a free civilized society should accept. People should be allowed to live and be free. If some people are afraid to go out then those people should stay home, but the rest of us should not be forced to stay home or be deprived of our freedoms.
JustCurious is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I haven't given into one second of time being afraid of Covid. I just take the prescribed precautions, wear my mask as ordered by law, and get on with life. It does not keep me from doing anything I want to do.
Really? You haven't wanted to go to a movie theater, or a full service sit down restaurant, or travel, or go to church, or go to a bar, or a live concert, or sporting event, wedding, funeral?
Old 09-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #36

Things should be returning to normal by the spring of 2022. I suspect the pharma industry will push therapeutics to secure recurring income rather than a one time vaccine. I know a lot of people in their 50's and 60's that were forced out of their jobs during the recession of 2008/2009. Many of those people never found suitable employment in their fields. Many just gave up looking. The same thing is happening this time. The virus will be under control but the impact on many people and businesses will linger for years to come. Before retiring, many of my colleagues stated that the system is set up in favor of financially irresponsible individuals and businesses and penalizes the financially responsible savers. To some extent, they were correct but the system they referred to is beginning to crumble.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #37
Administrator

Given time, we humans will adapt. If modern medicine conquers COVID, we’ll go back to normal - life as we lived it a year ago. If medicine only is able to treat it, we’ll learn to adjust, adapt, and live with it. Whichever the outcome, that will be the new normal, and everything else will be another page of fond memories of “good ol’ days.
MichaelB is online now   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oh I’ve definitely heard people say things like “this better be over soon”. And I wonder what they expect.
At the risk of sounding like a wise-guy, I think they expect that hope will be a plan.

Or maybe they are relatives of King Canute. The fellow who commanded the tide not to come in.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocold View Post
I do think that once a vaccine is approved, it will be the beginning of the end. That end will have a long tail, but for me personally, once I take it, I'm going to start traveling and going to indoor restaurants.
+1

I've long felt that once DGF and I have been vaccinated, we will start to resume the activities that have been put on hold completely over the past six months. That, to me, will feel like "the end" of the pandemic from a personal standpoint. The minute I first step into an airplane or sit down inside a restaurant, it will certainly feel like the post-COVID era has begun for me. Having said that, though, I do expect some COVID-era behaviors—wearing masks in crowded indoor spaces, frequent hand washing, hand sanitizing, etc.—will persist well into the future. In that sense, the ghost of COVID will linger with us for some time.
Sojourner is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
The minute I first step into an airplane or sit down inside a restaurant, it will certainly feel like the post-COVID era has begun for me.
Not if I am forced to wear a mask, I will feel like the Covid era continues.
Closed Thread