THUR 23APR20

bill brian or bryant
sci & tech Directorate of US dept Homeland Sec
~6:14 pm Eastern, dont know start time of briefing so can't give "timestamp."
6:18
6:20

bleach 5 min
isopropyl 30 seconds
kills with with no rubbing, faster with rubbing.
DID NOT SPECIFY WHAT CONCENTRATIONS !!!

DHS s&t website has doc of all research worldwide on various questions

two slides, one showing halflife info. Are testing more combinations & other disinfectants.

I think the "summer" means exposed to sun's UV light.
Higher temp & humidity make virus die quicker.

Porous surfaces make virus die quicker. OTOH he might have meant to say that the virus gets stuck/embedded and so not transferred, did not specify the test method used.

Rixxi 6:47 pm

Attachments

• slide one again.png
    slide one again.png
    451.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
When I read research on disinfection, they usually use units of Log10 Reduction. I get the impression that they want to see "5" as the number.

I'd like to see his data in terms of "time to Log10 Reduction >= 5" or whatever the standard is.

I watch the briefings almost daily. Usually a lot of good, unfiltered info direct from our countries leadership. I don't like many of the insane questions asked by the media. Some (a few) are okay but many are inappropriate and grandstanding, IMO.

However, while I liked the info presented today regarding how higher temps, humidity and sunlight "seemed" to kill the virus quicker, it does make me wonder why a country like Singapore is having significant outbreaks. Over 1000 cases a day for the past few days. Trust me when I say, Singapore is moderately hot (always) very humid (always) and has a lot of sunlight.... After all, it sits on the equator.

OTOH, it is much like New York city. Very crowded in a small area and everyone stays indoors most of the time.

Last edited:
I watch the briefings almost daily. Usually a lot of good, unfiltered info direct from our countries leadership. I don't like many of the insane questions asked by the media. Some (a few) are okay but many are inappropriate and grandstanding, IMO.

However, while I liked the info presented today regarding how higher temps, humidity and sunlight "seemed" to kill the virus quicker, it does make me wonder why a country like Singapore is having significant outbreaks. Over 1000 cases a day for the past few days. Trust me when I say, Singapore is moderately hot (always) very humid (always) and has a lot of sunlight.... After all, it sits on the equator.

OTOH, it is much like New York city. Very crowded in a small area and everyone stays indoors most of the time.

I’m guessing the indoors part of your comment is the answer to your Singapore question. So maybe we should ban air conditioning! [emoji6]
Us folks in Texas would love that this summer.

I’m guessing the indoors part of your comment is the answer to your Singapore question. So maybe we should ban air conditioning! [emoji6]
No way, I'd rather take my chances and keep the AC....

A little googling shows that a big part of the Singapore issue is migrant workers living in cramped quarters. And I can guarantee, they are not air conditioned. From my experience they are in old land/sea containers stack 3-4 high, with a ladder and some cut outs for access.

A little googling shows that a big part of the Singapore issue is migrant workers living in cramped quarters. And I can guarantee, they are not air conditioned. From my experience they are in old land/sea containers stack 3-4 high, with a ladder and some cut outs for access.
I've been to Singapore numerous times. I can't speak to migrant workers or stacked containers, since I wasn't exposed to that in my travels. However I've traveled the city and seen the cramped living conditions in many "cultures" areas of the city. Singapore is very modern, lot's of high rise buildings and extremely clean.

Actually a very beautiful country, friendly people, and they speak English. (not Texan) but close enough.

However, I don't see how anyone could live in a metal shipping container in Singapore without AC. That would be pretty close to pure Hell.

Last edited:
I've been to Singapore numerous times. I can't speak to migrant workers or stacked containers, since I wasn't exposed to that in my travels. However I've traveled the city and seen the cramped living conditions in many "cultures" areas of the city. Singapore is very modern, lot's of high rise buildings and extremely clean.

It has been at least 15 years since my last trip to Singapore. We were working with local construction companies. Most of the workers were Malaysian or Indian, and I personally saw the containers they lived in. Actually, this is quite common all over Asia, from what I have seen.

You are correct about the city. Very modern, very clean, and very crowded.

Me too - I just don’t see how tropical humid conditions help or why anyone should get excited about hotter humid weather improving spread. Person to person and aerosol spread must dominate transmission, and fomites not play a strong role. So crowded conditions - it doesn’t matter if the virus dies faster on surfaces.

I must be listening to a different gov't leadership, as I hear a lot of grandstanding from the front of the room, sometimes I think it's a rally going on, except there is no crowd.

However, Dr Fauci does seem to appear now and then, and gets to give us some factual information.

Radiation causes cancer too but it's also used to treat cancer. So, I'm wondering whether phototherapy in some form could work.

Same with bleach. I'm not hearing anything convincing about why it wouldn't be a good idea in some cases, in some concentrations, as a treatment.

OK, so don't stand in front of a UV lamp or in the sun. There are other possible methods. The negativity from the experts isn't detailed enough to convince me.

Radiation causes cancer too but it's also used to treat cancer. So, I'm wondering whether phototherapy in some form could work.

Same with bleach. I'm not hearing anything convincing about why it wouldn't be a good idea in some cases, in some concentrations, as a treatment.

OK, so don't stand in front of a UV lamp or in the sun. There are other possible methods. The negativity from the experts isn't detailed enough to convince me.
After the briefing yesterday, Lysol had to come out with a forceful statement last night warning the public NOT to injest, inject or otherwise introduce into the body, any amount of their product, in an effort to make sure that the public doesn't try this as a prevention and cure technique. There is a reason why most or all of our cleaning products state this precaution plainly on their products.

I must be listening to a different gov't leadership, as I hear a lot of grandstanding from the front of the room, sometimes I think it's a rally going on, except there is no crowd.

However, Dr Fauci does seem to appear now and then, and gets to give us some factual information.

Dr. Birx and the CDC et al.....are good as well.

After the briefing yesterday, Lysol had to come out with a forceful statement last night warning the public NOT to injest, inject or otherwise introduce into the body, any amount of their product, in an effort to make sure that the public doesn't try this as a prevention and cure technique. There is a reason why most or all of our cleaning products state this precaution plainly on their products.

The fact that Lysol folks had to come out with this statement says it all.
Plus it has been hot in FLA for a month now.......

Not as plainly as they used to. "Back in the Day," :D toxic household products were labeled with the skull and crossbones image. Nowadays, it's usually just verbiage found on the back of the container, along with the directions for use.

I can see that too and to be honest, I wish it was toned down a little sometimes. HOWEVER, it is his (and the teams) opportunity to speak directly to the America people unfiltered and without others "interpretations/spins". Then people can make their own decisions based on their good common sense. Same with local government. I'd much rather hear from them directly rather than the medias "spins". (I'll leave it at that since I can hear porky coming)

Last edited:

I hear diatribe about how things are going well. I hear the news asking a bunch of gotcha questions to instigate friction or sensationalism instead of informing the public (e.g. mr. president, one anonymous senator said you aren't doing your job, how do you feel about that?).

Most of the taskforce are good. I liked it better when it was that team reporting out rather than the President.

I hear diatribe about how things are going well. I hear the news asking a bunch of gotcha questions to instigate friction or sensationalism instead of informing the public (e.g. mr. president, one anonymous senator said you aren't doing your job, how do you feel about that?).

Most of the taskforce are good. I liked it better when it was that team reporting out rather than the President.

+1
Let the experts speak and there would be less sensationalism coming from both sides.

They are not gotcha questions. They are reporters repeating what stupid or unreasonable thing "he" said previously and can he comment or explain it....and then the fake news attacks come out. We must be listening to something different.

The president needs to removed from these briefings to be helpful at all since most people have tuned them out...because you have to search through 90 minutes of crap to find 10 minutes of good information.

Last edited:
^^^^^^
That "should" just about end this thread!

And so it does.

Attachments

• porky still.jpg
    porky still.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom