Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Yes! With mug shots, parole violations, outstanding warrants..it'd be great!
Hey if supplies get tougher, you might need that kind of info.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
IIRC, Haha was posting infrequently even before the virus started.
Yeah, I believe I noticed his absence before the virus hit.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #103
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"They" keep track of every member, regardless of the number of posts - and here is a link to the secret results:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...rt=posts&pp=50
That's an interesting link! You get a blue ribbon
Old 04-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
That's an interesting link! You get a blue ribbon
Thanks, they.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Yeah, I believe I noticed his absence before the virus hit.
Right.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Or ERD50? Is he OK?
I'm fine, thanks. I get what the OP said, but I can't see getting worked up about it, just move on for a while. I was following the COVID stuff closely, even had a spreadsheet that I'd update a few times a day with latest death rates, but the numbers really aren't reliable, and then I just overdosed on it. It's everywhere 24-7, and almost nothing new that I need to know. So I just sort of dropped out of a lot of things on-line, don't have the radio/TV news on much.

In addition, I got involved in a hobby project, and it's really consumed me (in a good way). But if NW-Bound hasn't been posting much, at least I haven't missed too many of his insights!

I look forward to the day when we don't hear the phrase "In these uncertain times". Geez, what's uncertain? It's certain we are going to hear about COVID at least 99 times a day! What could be more certain?

I'm just not as worked up about this as many are. And two of my kids are in health care, my daughter is now a charge nurse on the COVID floor of a large hospital. She hasn't got sick, I don't think any of her co workers have either (I'll need to ask specifically).

Maybe I'll peruse the COVID forum, one bit of data I've looked for and have not come up with solid source is - how far down are traffic deaths and other communicable diseases due to isolation? Not to diminish the seriousness of COVID, but this is an offsetting effect, I'd just like to see the numbers. They should be way down.

-ERD50
Old 04-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for checking in ERD50!

NW-Bound went radio silent on 4-12-20.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Maybe I'll peruse the COVID forum, one bit of data I've looked for and have not come up with solid source is - how far down are traffic deaths and other communicable diseases due to isolation? Not to diminish the seriousness of COVID, but this is an offsetting effect, I'd just like to see the numbers. They should be way down.

-ERD50

Don’t have data. Have anecdotal story. My DS friend was a manager at nearby city collision center business. He had to lay off most of the mechanics as business rapidly declined. Then he was laid off soon after. The shutdown has downstream fingers almost everywhere.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:47 PM   #109

Quote:
one bit of data I've looked for and have not come up with solid source is - how far down are traffic deaths and other communicable diseases due to isolation? Not to diminish the seriousness of COVID, but this is an offsetting effect, I'd just like to see the numbers. They should be way down.
National stats are two years behind. Some state websites may publish monthly data.

Here's a random stat:

"The DOT Commissioner also noted that there have been no pedestrian deaths on the road in over 40 days, which is the longest period without a pedestrian fatality since NYC started keeping records."
Old 04-29-2020, 10:59 PM   #110

Quote:

-ERD50
Here in Thailand they recently had a day with the fewest traffic deaths ever recorded. It is definitely having the effect of reducing traffic deaths here. No reason the same isn't true everywhere in the world.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #111

Kind of funny, but I took almost a year break from this forum because I found that every time I came back to it the same topics were being rehashed over and over again. So when we opened up the discussion to COVID I was actually relieved to be able to talk about something other than Withdrawal Rates, when to take SS, Do I have enough money...blah blah blah.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:25 AM   #112

Quote:
Are you folks suggesting the mods tell Porky to treat discussions of the coronavirus the same way he treats discussions of politics? That would be interesting...
Yes
Old 04-30-2020, 05:46 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I took a bit of a break and am dipping my toes back in. Probably like OP, the fact that COVID was leaking everywhere, and taking the oxygen out of the other threads, caused me to pause. My future looks will definitely include blocking out the containment forum. The fever is still very high there (or actually 'here' for this thread I guess).

I'm still a bit cautious. There are some good threads outside of the containment area that have been helpful. Like, the OLED thread - memories of the good old days.

But people are still really touchy and sniping at each other. There's another good thread about bonds and cash reserves which highly interests me, but as the moderator said: "You can disagree without being disagreeable." Still too much snippy behavior. Hopefully everyone can chill a bit.

I think I'm back. Now I need to change my avatar.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:33 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
But people are still really touchy and sniping at each other.
One just ignores them for the most part, or at least I have learned to, they are the same old players, probably have nothing better to do, we all know who they are.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

I was already never reading most threads to begin with. So, adding a (growing) bunch more threads to those I am already not reading is not a big deal. I click on "New Posts" to see what new threads have been updated since my last visit, then skip over most of them. Between that and clicking on "User CP" to see the list of threads I have posted to which have had a recent, unread reply, I have enough to view (which ain't much, anyway).

As to broader coverage of COVID-19, I ignore most of it. I don't watch my local news station much any more because that's all it is now. I can get my local weather forecast from its website. Even PBS Newshour, the one news show I regularly watch, is becoming more unwatchable.

But what bugs me the most is when COVID-19 stuff pre-empts regular, non-COVID-19 (or, at least partially non-COVID-19) programs. I posted in another thread a few days ago about how CBS Sunday Morning, a 90-minute show, has become a 30-minute show with the last hour replaced by live coverage of NYC Mayor DeBlasio yapping about the city's response to it (and it is shown on 4 other channels!). [BTW, watching the show on line is a crummy alternative.] Or how COZI-TV, a cable-TV channel has had 2 weekday morning hours replaced by NBC's Today Show even though NBC is already airing it at the same time!

I hope Mdlerth returns here. I am not at that point yet, and doubt I will ever get there. But I understand the sentiments.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 04-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I was already never reading most threads to begin with. So, adding a (growing) bunch more threads to those I am already not reading is not a big deal. I click on "New Posts" to see what new threads have been updated since my last visit, then skip over most of them. Between that and clicking on "User CP" to see the list of threads I have posted to which have had a recent, unread reply, I have enough to view (which ain't much, anyway).

As to broader coverage of COVID-19, I ignore most of it. I don't watch my local news station much any more because that's all it is now. I can get my local weather forecast from its website. Even PBS Newshour, the one news show I regularly watch, is becoming more unwatchable.

But what bugs me the most is when COVID-19 stuff pre-empts regular, non-COVID-19 (or, at least partially non-COVID-19) programs. I posted in another thread a few days ago about how CBS Sunday Morning, a 90-minute show, has become a 30-minute show with the last hour replaced by live coverage of NYC Mayor DeBlasio yapping about the city's response to it (and it is shown on 4 other channels!). [BTW, watching the show on line is a crummy alternative.] Or how COZI-TV, a cable-TV channel has had 2 weekday morning hours replaced by NBC's Today Show even though NBC is already airing it at the same time!

I hope Mdlerth returns here. I am not at that point yet, and doubt I will ever get there. But I understand the sentiments.
The very thing you mention about news saturation is driving a lot of hysteria and finger pointing, and to what end?

You put these government officials on live TV pound them with question after question ( some of the questions provocative on purpose) and sure as heck its off to the races with second guesses and "look what they said" .

Anyone who thinks these news people aren't using a fine tooth comb on the answers to get their 5 minutes of Twitter fame or next raise is naďve.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1

As Audrey points above, anyone can go to the Covid forum and from the forum drop down menu select “Ignore Forum” then you wouldn’t have to see any threads or posts related to Covid.
Thank you!! This is great info. All I needed. Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I don't believe the OP is stressed out about the COVID threads just that they don't like that it's a popular topic. Plus they feel have to inform us that they are leaving the forum seemingly until such time as the COVID content diminishes. You see this on forums all the time where people don't just quietly take a break but have to let everyone know it and why. What's the point? Make the rest of us feel badly for being interested in COVID and all its actual and potential implications for the world in general and us as individuals? Especially when it's so easy just to block the COVID forum itself? Quite passive-aggressive IMHO.
Ah, Freud. Velly interesting
Old 04-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #119
gone traveling

Quote:
Are you folks suggesting the mods tell Porky to treat discussions of the coronavirus the same way he treats discussions of politics? That would be interesting...
And Covid was responsible for shutting down a couple of pork processing plants, although it appears they will be opening back up
Old 04-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
But what bugs me the most is when COVID-19 stuff pre-empts regular

<snip>

+1

How about those COVID-19 "commercials"? "We're all in this together...At home together." I'd rather watch a regular commercial. Never thought I'd say that.
Closed Thread