Too sickened by coronavirus to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny folks should mention this (Seen some posts about being worried about Covid19).

I can safely say I do not worry at all about contracting it in the slightest. I am 66 and in a relatively high risk group; Medicated HBP and Pacemaker, although I do take ACEI's), but otherwise good health.

Yes I do take all the sensible precausions when I venture out, Mask, 6' - 8' distancing, washing hands and wiping down purchases when I get home, actually DW does that for me, she even wipes down the car surfaces and washes the masks and cloth grocery bags after each outing. And of course I observe store precaustionary measures too. But worry about getting it, absolutly not. What good does it do, worrying that is?

NOW my DW, that is a completely different story, she is paranoid to the point that I have to calm her down sometimes, and she is as healthy as a horse, with no meds or pre-existings. Go figure.

Last edited:
Funny folks should mention this (Seen some posts about being worried about Covid19).

I can safely say I do not worry at all about contracting it in the slightest.

I totally agree. I don't have any concerns at all about you catching it. :LOL:

(Sorry, the set-up was just too good to pass up.)

Here's the problem, people saying they are stressed out over the predominance of COVID threads here aren't "whining" they are saying how it affects them personally and now to you they are whiners.
I don't believe the OP is stressed out about the COVID threads just that they don't like that it's a popular topic. Plus they feel have to inform us that they are leaving the forum seemingly until such time as the COVID content diminishes. You see this on forums all the time where people don't just quietly take a break but have to let everyone know it and why. What's the point? Make the rest of us feel badly for being interested in COVID and all its actual and potential implications for the world in general and us as individuals? Especially when it's so easy just to block the COVID forum itself? Quite passive-aggressive IMHO.

If I log on and don't wish to read more on Covid-19, I easily search the forums to find something else that interests me.
I understand not wanting to be immersed in virus stuff all the time. I only read/watch the news once a day.
Hope those who leave come back soon. Everyones contributions are valuable, whether I may agree with them or not, different viewpoints are good.

I don't believe the OP is stressed out about the COVID threads just that they don't like that it's a popular topic. Plus they feel have to inform us that they are leaving the forum seemingly until such time as the COVID content diminishes. You see this on forums all the time where people don't just quietly take a break but have to let everyone know it and why. What's the point? Make the rest of us feel badly for being interested in COVID and all its actual and potential implications for the world in general and us as individuals? Especially when it's so easy just to block the COVID forum itself? Quite passive-aggressive IMHO.

are you a medical profession to do internet diagnosis? It's also possible that the OP feels kind of like I do, that COVID threads are being opened at the drop of a hat and are filled with pure speculation. In the beginning we had a few threads that funneled everyone's comments and/or valuable shopping tips. and now suddenly there is one for every person that gets sick or every report or stat that gets released.

I understand the mods are plenty busy and are not here to censor or control threads so I have to make my own call as to what is worth paying attention to.

Blocking the COVID forums to going to leave a pretty small number of threads to read...

What the world needs are more Covid threads......"Free Covid for everyone"....we march on the world's capitals tomorrow! Unity!

I'm glad you posted this. I avoided reading most of these threads just to keep from overload, as I freaked out early and got it out of my system :LOL:. I did post to a thread recently and was disappointed at a, to me, patronizing reaction to my and several others' posts there, to the level of "mansplaining" why these posts were not valid (as if anyone knows what's valid on outside of my new Imaginary boyfriend Dr Fauci and he is the first to admit when we don't know nothing). I've never thought I was in the smart half of a room but I have always found others to be, and seeing them dismissed on several threads sent me right back to my safe favorite. Netflix it is! ymmv

If you need to take off the forum do it. I personally find that the more I read about Covid on this forum the more I learn. I see articles that I didn't have to take the time to go look up. I have (so far) learned something new about the virus that I didn't know before. Thanks to all the others that have done extensive research and make it available to all of us.

Have a great break mdlerth, hope to see you back soon.

Covid is the word, the talk of the times. Nothing has changed life style like covid. The fear factor is huge and people are scared. It affects everything, jobs, real estate, investments, travel, dining and leisure activities.

It's the "talk of the times"

Excellent post, OP. Funny to see how this thread has morphed into yet another "disagreement" thread...which most seem to do that recently. I am tired of the non-stop coverage as well. I do my best to ignore the news (except 30 minutes of local news in the AM) but COVID is everywhere. Even the commercials that are put in the "on demand" shows has the overused "we are here for you" melancholy commercials that are EVERYWHERE. We have taken to watching stuff on the DVR where the commercials are from the time "before" COVID.

I am going to attempt to hide the containment area. I suspect there won't be many other discussions, however. :(

are you a medical profession to do internet diagnosis? It's also possible that the OP feels kind of like I do, that COVID threads are being opened at the drop of a hat and are filled with pure speculation. In the beginning we had a few threads that funneled everyone's comments and/or valuable shopping tips. and now suddenly there is one for every person that gets sick or every report or stat that gets released.

I understand the mods are plenty busy and are not here to censor or control threads so I have to make my own call as to what is worth paying attention to.

Blocking the COVID forums to going to leave a pretty small number of threads to read...
I don't have to do an "internet diagnosis", the OP specifically states his or her problem with COVID:
I'm sick of it. I no longer care about it. I don't want to talk about it, hear about it, read about it or think about it.
except of course to let the rest of us hear, read, and think about his or her displeasure that most of us want to hear about/discuss COVID and so they're leaving instead of just blocking the forum in which they have no interest. It's common enough on the internet that there's a term for such posts: "GBCW" (Goodbye Cruel World.) I know of at least one site where writing one is grounds for banning!

I don't have to do an "internet diagnosis", the OP specifically states his or her problem with COVID:
except of course to let the rest of us hear, read, and think about his or her displeasure that most of us want to hear about/discuss COVID and so they're leaving instead of just blocking the forum in which they have no interest. It's common enough on the internet that there's a term for such posts: "GBCW" (Goodbye Cruel World.) I know of at least one site where writing one is grounds for banning!

Lucky for us this forum has a little more sympathy in tough times. :angel:

I personally am glad this Forum has a lot of Covid-19 discussion. To me it is the most important thing going on in the world right now. I have quit watching much of the news on TV and the internet so much of the Covid 19 information I get is from here--I find it very helpful. I don't look at all the threads--just the ones that interest me. I have found a lot of help here. For example, I asked how to make disinfectant wipes and posters helped me. I also had trouble with the get my payment website and posters here helped. I have been stressed about my elderly mother and high risk husband and posters have helped me control my stress. So I say thank you ERF for helping me with Covid-19 issues and I hope everyone will keep posting on this very important topic. Thank you!!

I prefer that people mention that they are taking a break otherwise you wonder what happened. BD, just because you are perfectly healthy now doesn’t mean getting the virus won’t kill you. I was healthy, tons of exercise, trim and in excellent shape on my 50th birthday. 4 months later I called the er nurse to ask if I should come in. She called a ambulance because she thought I was having a heart attack as did the doctors when I arrived. It turns out my chest squeezing was asthma, but I had such hbp and a fast erratic heart beat that had to be controlled by IV medications to get it down. They said it was amazing I hadn’t had a stroke. I spent a few days in the hospital having tests, etc. My perfect health disappeared that day.

You’re special, mdlerth. Sensitive. I’ll miss you, come back when our topics are more fun and financial. Not sure if you remember my post “Ode to Midlerth” because you thought you were a thread killer. Never! I bet this thread goes on and on.

on the positive side this virus has given us much more to talk about than a pesky economic meltdown ( that was always going to happen given the rise of several populist leaders , in various nations )

AND plenty of time to consider our next investment moves and strategies ( am i overweight real estate or maybe in the energy sector for example )

can we turn this into a silver lining :confused:

Not that I would for the Covid-19 forum. But isn't there a way for a person to just ignore a forum similar to ignoring a thread within a forum?

Not that I would for the Covid-19 forum. But isn't there a way for a person to just ignore a forum similar to ignoring a thread within a forum?

i have been known to simply logout ( for weeks at a time )

obviously if you have favorite threads you might see if there is an alert system here that tells you when somebody adds to those threads

i have no problem avoiding the travelling threads ( my tourist days are over )

You seem to have it all figured out for yourself and your “rights” but you have completely missed the half of the equation about how any of us could easily be an asymptomatic spreader who gets other vulnerable people sick. What about others’ rights to not be infected by you? One might also call it having manners.

As a 64-year-old with a compromised immune system, I thank you. :flowers:

. What about others’ rights to not be infected by you? One might also call it having manners.

They usually call it "freedom" or something. You know. The "price of freedom". Something like that

I'm glad you posted this. I avoided reading most of these threads just to keep from overload, as I freaked out early and got it out of my system :LOL:. I did post to a thread recently and was disappointed at a, to me, patronizing reaction to my and several others' posts there, to the level of "mansplaining" why these posts were not valid (as if anyone knows what's valid on outside of my new Imaginary boyfriend Dr Fauci and he is the first to admit when we don't know nothing). I've never thought I was in the smart half of a room but I have always found others to be, and seeing them dismissed on several threads sent me right back to my safe favorite. Netflix it is! ymmv

Before you go, you should just know - Dr. Fauci is my new imaginary boyfriend. :D :LOL:

I can see OP's point, though I may not agree completely. While I do not take this situation lightly, and know of 2 people younger than me that have died from COVID-19, perhaps a factor is what situations one has faced before, and how they see this situation in light of the others.

My Dad grew up in a country where every day was like living with COVID-19, except the virus was violence and the fatality rate was much higher. The first 12-13 we lived in the U.S. in a area that was not much better, with drugs and gangs to deal with and a lack of available health facilities in a segregated city.

Many of my friends are immigrants or children of immigrants from places even worse, where they did not even have the luxury of being able to hoard things. Despite the health and violence conditions they had to go out every day. Some of that still exists even now in their homelands. To them, they have seen worse.

So I look at this situation, and while I am not really sick of the coverage, I think the "emotional" aspect of it is way overboard. I tend to be a Joe Friday "just facts" type of person. Reporting on that is one thing. The speculation, the turning anecdotes into statistics, the coverage of "what are celebrities doing", and the political (on all sides) "never let a crisis go to waste" attitude is what drives me crazy.

Fortunately the mods to a good job here. I also realize that many folks need to express/vent/rant their fear of everything from their vulnerability to the virus to running out of TP and other goods. But... I can sympathize but not agree, in terms of not choosing for myself to live in fear. This does not mean I do not take precautions to protect myself and others, but I go about them with a smile on my face and a happy song in my heart.

Besides, it is kind of fun to be walking around in a mask, goggles, and gloves and not have the police called on me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom