Travel -> apprehensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most places I've been that required masking prohibited the ones with valves. Be sure to check on that in advance.

Yes, that's where I plan on double masking with a "surgical mask" or cloth mask over the N95. In the event that's still a problem, I will have non-valved N95s with me also. I do not like the KN95s for extended wear as my left ear feels like it's being torn off :LOL:.

If it helps - we just returned from Seattle. Mask wearing is almost non-existent in the tourist areas (apparently with the exception of my wife and I). We wore KN95 masks indoors and never felt out of place or under any pressure. I would suggest getting good masks and having a great trip.

The only "pain" in the whole process was wearing masks basically from the the time you hit the airport and through the entire flight. Sucks, but you do what you need to to stay safe and still accomplish the mission of traveling.

Being a west coast city, Seattle has a big Asian population. Many Asians are used to wearing masks anytime there might be a health risk long before Covid became a household word.

We have a driving vacation in Aug that I'm not too worried about. But we have a Sept vacation that will include four legs of air travel, we're a little concerned about that. But we're both vaccinated and will wear masks throughout our time on planes and in airports. Not sure what else we can do, though the outlook is getting worse not better right now...

Eight flights in the last two months. Apart from the discomfort of constant masking in airports and planes, not much different from travel before the pandemic. Two more flights scheduled in September. We haven't been overly concerned since we were vaccinated, and so far all has gone well.

I was a little apprehensive before being vaccinated. Not apprehensive about travel now after being vaccinated.

We just flew Chicago- anchorage, about 8 hours in a KN 95 mask. Wearing a mask for that long is not as tough as I thought it would be.

I"m with you. We usually did 2 vacations per year. Have done nothing since Covid began. I had travel booked for some real estate meetings I wanted to go and start learning at (rental homes, commercial property info)....one was Vegas, one New York - sadly cancelled them both.

Have. a family Florida trip booked for Thanksgiving on the beach - - but right now I just don't know if we'll go. Between Covid surging, plus the cold weather coming - -I think we're in for it again to some extent

Gayl it sounds like you are prepared, but we too are apprehensive. Just stick to your plan with PPE and frequent handwashing, and keep that up onboard ship.
Alaska was our first cruise and we loved it. Have a great time!

I would probably feel comfortable going on a cruise such as the OP describes but I can't imagine getting on a boat in Florida where the companies can't require vaccines. I would feel fairly confident that I wouldn't catch Covid, or would have a mild case if I did, but I would be petrified that an outbreak among unvaccinated travelers might lead to cabin lock down. Travelling to Seattle would be a PITA (long plane flights) but I would just mask up for the duration and look forward to the cruise.

My next cruise is in 3 weeks. I do staycations here all the time: SF, Mt Diablo, Delta, wine country, and Sonoma / Mendocino. I love traveling. But I'm becoming a little apprehensive about going to Seattle. I'm leaving an area with 81% fully vaxed / 5% partially vaxed and going into an area with only 57.3% vaxed. I will mask up and am searching for a better mask (N95 or KN95) because I only need a dbl layer here. The ship requires everyone to be fully vaxed so I'll relax there.

I want to go but any tips on how to deal with my nagging concern??

My advice is wash your hands frequently, wear your mask, and don’t listen to the news. Enjoy your trip.

For the past 30+ years, I have done 4 Caribbean SCUBA dive trips annually. Now I am hesitant to travel internationally as I would have to test negative (and there are false positives as well) before returning to the US or otherwise have to quarantine in a foreign hotel room for quite a while.
Certainly takes the fun out of planning such a trip.
Rich

We have an out of town family wedding next weekend and I am very, very apprehensive. It's only 2 hours away so we will drive. However there will be family members there that we know are not vaccinated (they say "God will take care of them"). There are also going to be some family members there in their 80s and 90s. We have a week to decide if we are going. If we do go we will be wearing masks and not hugging anyone. We are vaxxed but got our 2nd vax February 9th, so benefits might have worn off. I'm so depressed that covid seems to be roaring back and we are looking at being stuck at home again.

I don't wear a mask anymore. I was vaccinated in march and haven't had any problems. We have not traveled more than 100 miles from home, most around here have been vaccinated. If I have to worry about being quarantined or not being able to go to a restaurant and have a meal it just doesn't seem worth the problem.

My wife and I have done a few vacations this year. Ski in Montana, to Georgia to visit family, and Florida.

We have zero anxiety about traveling or catching Covid.

Washington State has a fully vaccinated rate of 57.4% but King County is at 75%, if that makes you feel any better. Although as someone said if you hang out in touristy parts of the city you don't know where the people around you are from.

For the past 30+ years, I have done 4 Caribbean SCUBA dive trips annually. Now I am hesitant to travel internationally as I would have to test negative (and there are false positives as well) before returning to the US or otherwise have to quarantine in a foreign hotel room for quite a while.
Certainly takes the fun out of planning such a trip.
Rich

You can avoid this problem by going to the USVI. COVID test required to enter, but not when returning.

Thank you. And reasonably priced.

You can buy N95 masks from Home Depot or Lowes now. We have flown many time since the the lockdowns from March 2020. Just wear a NIOSH approved N95 mask and you will be fine.

Last edited:
I've been pretty happy with KF94 masks from Korea. The standards for them are pretty similar to N95 but I find the shape of them fits my face better than a lot of the other masks. Masklab has some ones with nice patterns and [URL="https://behealthyusa.net/] BeHealthy[/URL] has a bunch of plain ones.

I'm not worried about the transit part, or, really, about catching Delta. All indications are I should be fine, and I trust the vaccine to protect me.

BUT, I don't want to travel and find the restaurants are take-out only, or the hotel dining room is closed, or I have to wear a mask by the pool, etc. I'm more concerned that the experience of travel and vacations will be still far less enjoyable.

When I travel I want to escape, have fun, and enjoy myself. I have a feeling that window is about to close again for a while...

This is my issue too! I planned to go to Spain end of this month to do the Camino, but I'm a little worried it won't be as enjoyable...I've got about 48 hours to decide whether to postpone and am on the fence!!

Will be nice once this pandemic finally ends...

This is my issue too! I planned to go to Spain end of this month to do the Camino, but I'm a little worried it won't be as enjoyable...I've got about 48 hours to decide whether to postpone and am on the fence!!

We were planning to walk the Camino in June. We decided to wait until next June. :(

I'm not worried about the transit part, or, really, about catching Delta. All indications are I should be fine, and I trust the vaccine to protect me.

BUT, I don't want to travel and find the restaurants are take-out only, or the hotel dining room is closed, or I have to wear a mask by the pool, etc. I'm more concerned that the experience of travel and vacations will be still far less enjoyable.

When I travel I want to escape, have fun, and enjoy myself. I have a feeling that window is about to close again for a while...

I agree with this. For me (already had it and got the J&J shot) I think the odds of me getting in a fatal car crash on the way to the airport/cruise are probably higher than serious health threats from covid. The lockdowns ruining my vacation are what scare me.

The UK just announced that fully vaccinated travellers from “amber listed” countries will no longer be required to isolate after arriving. This includes the USA and most of the EU.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...-on-arrival-in-england-from-2-august-12366355

But not Canada? which has 1/10th the case and hospitalization rate and a much higher vaccination rate than the US? Not sure of the logic here from the UK government. Not an issue for me, as we arent;t doing any international travel this year anyways.

We are leaving tomorrow morning for the Football Hall of Fame enshrinement activities. We are going to a ticketed tailgate party and then to the Steeler-Dallas Cowboy game tomorrow night. We are going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Friday (inside) and to the Football Hall of Fame museum (inside) Sat morning, a HOF Funfest and Beerfest and then the 2020 Enshrinement.

My friend who is a huge Troy Polamalu fan bought tickets for his enshrinement last year for her and her brother. Her brother started having back problems and was doing physical therapy and she asked me if I would go with her, if he was not able. I said sure, not knowing much about it and also figuring that he would be fine by then. He is not fine and his granddaughter was in a serious car accident and is in ICU.

I had no clue how many people are expected to be there. Also, the Delta variant is so contagious. I have been best friends with her since 1986 and we have traveled together to NYC, Hawaii and Alaska and many cruises. I told her that I will go, so I will. I will be double masking anytime that I feel uncomfortable with too many people, whether we are inside or outside. We are both fully vaccinated, but they keep insisting that we are in the elderly group. Also, my last vaccine was on 02/05/21, so I hope that it is not less effective now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom