Travel During COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For the past year DH and I have made several long car trips between our home in south TX and DF’s place in central GA.

For the first time tonight we did a totally contactless check-in at a Hilton property. We had pulled into a rest area about 35 miles away, and I decided to check availability, and then decided to go ahead and book via the Apple. The option appeared.

This is very cool! Just walk into the hotel, bypass the front desk, go straight to your room and unlock the door with your phone. Don’t have to talk to anyone,

I knew it was possible, just hadn’t experienced it.

Premier Inn is one of the big hotel chains that we personally like to use and they offer contactless check in, but you have to go to an unmanned kiosk in the lobby. Just walking straight to your room and unlocking the door is awesome, we’ll have to look out for that.

I've been doing that at Hilton hotels (mostly Hamptons) for a couple of years. It's wonderful.

Premier Inn is one of the big hotel chains that we personally like to use and they offer contactless check in, but you have to go to an unmanned kiosk in the lobby. Just walking straight to your room and unlocking the door is awesome, we’ll have to look out for that.

When we pulled up to the main doors, the “check in” button on the app had lit up. So I pressed that. It charged my CC on file, then went on to enable the digital key. We just needed to unload our stuff and go straight to the room. It was particularly nice because there were a couple of people waiting in line at the front desk, and we were able to walk right by them.

It also let us choose which floor and then which room from a building layout map at check-in. Very slick!

When we pulled up to the main doors, the “check in” button on the app had lit up. So I pressed that. It charged my CC on file, then went on to enable the digital key. We just needed to unload our stuff and go straight to the room. It was particularly nice because there were a couple of people waiting in line at the front desk, and we were able to walk right by them.

It also let us choose which floor and then which room from a building layout map at check-in. Very slick!

That is really nice. We'll be looking for an overnight hotel in June on our drive to Cornwall but I doubt we'll get better than the unmanned kiosk in the lobby.

The Marriott/Bonvoy program offers this also (not sure if it's only for members but you can join easily). I haven't used it though, as I like to take my chances with the front desk for an upgrade.

I've done two overnight (1 night each) hotel stays during covid, but I have to say the front desk experience is very low on the distancing risk - big open hotel lobbies make spacing easy. Kinda like grocery checkout.

The Marriott/Bonvoy program offers this also (not sure if it's only for members but you can join easily). I haven't used it though, as I like to take my chances with the front desk for an upgrade.

I've done two overnight (1 night each) hotel stays during covid, but I have to say the front desk experience is very low on the distancing risk - big open hotel lobbies make spacing easy. Kinda like grocery checkout.
Oh certainly. I was never concerned about interacting with the front desk - distanced and masked, even though some had really lousy mask fitting. And usually no other customers at the front desk. But this was SO much easier as the desk interaction takes time. At least they recently implemented ApplePay, so no more card handling at the front desk.

Mainly in the hotels we avoided other guests and sharing the elevator. We carry our own food on these trips and eat breakfast and dinner in the room, picnic on the road. Quiche is a great portable breakfast that reheats well, and we make a crustless version.

Last edited:
But this was SO much easier as the desk interaction takes time.

Mainly in the hotels we avoided other guests and sharing the elevator. We carry our own food on these trips and eat breakfast and dinner in the room, picnic on the road. Quiche is a great portable breakfast that reheats well, and we make a crustless version.

There is even another advantage. When you pick your room in the HHonors app, you see the layout of the hotel. So you can avoid the front door entirely and park near the closest door to your room. The app lets you unlock the exterior door just like your room door, so that's the same experience.

I also bring homemade crustless quiche for breakfast on the road. A good hot breakfast is an important part of my day and in the current situation you won't get that at any of the hotels I've stayed at.

How does that work? Bluetooth in the door's lock? Convenient, for sure. I hope it's implemented securely.

I'm checking out of a Hampton this AM- spent the night here, 1.5 hours from home, and will get my second vaccination at 11 AM. It was the first place that offered me an appointment.

I've used Hamptons on road trips to visit family in SC (one overnight en route) and have been happy with precautions although I'm seeing they don't enforce masking anymore if not required by local regs. It makes me appreciate contactless check-in! I seem to have lifetime Gold status with Hilton and thanks to greatly-relaxed criteria, I need 8 more nights to get Diamond. I'll manage it with a few more road trips.

It uses NFC, same as the payment systems where you tap your phone or watch on a point-of-sale terminal.

I think it's Bluetooth, because it works within several feet of the door and I don't think NFC has that much range.

I think it's Bluetooth, because it works within several feet of the door and I don't think NFC has that much range.

My experience was at a different chain a few years ago, but it was "unlock your phone and tap it on the pad near the lock", which is a typical NFC system.

Hilton may have something different. For our last cruise on Princess, we had the medallions that would unlock your door as you walked up, so maybe they use the same tech.

DW and I just bit the bullet and booked a trip to our go-to favorite hotel in Fort Lauderdale. Flying first class, so I don't feel engulfed by many people. We got a great discount rate but always get upgraded room. So we will use the front desk registration. Have to admit to very mixed feelings of glee to traveling there (early May) and trepidation.

Is this even an issue if one is fully vaccinated?

Variants aside, what is the end game with regards to mask wearing and social distancing?

If I can't infect you (Ok 95% immunity; good enough) and I can't be infected by you, what is the worry?

Hopefully, when the "experts" sound the herd immunity whistle; masks will be a distant memory. Because I am just about done. Have had enough. Covid fatigue is real.

Variants aside, what is the end game with regards to mask wearing and social distancing?

If I can't infect you (Ok 95% immunity; good enough) and I can't be infected by you, what is the worry?

Hopefully, when the "experts" sound the herd immunity whistle; masks will be a distant memory. Because I am just about done. Have had enough. Covid fatigue is real.

Intellectual and emotional responses can differ. DW and I got both shots.
So, intellectually, I agree with you 100%. Emotionally, there remains a bit of fear.

Love the Hampton digital key. As they said I choose my room, we park at the far door nearest the room. I go in first and wipe down then DH comes in with the stuff. No contact with anyone. Some have a hot (boxed) bfast that DH will pop out and pickup 2 of and bring back to the room. If not, screw it we will hit a drive through on the way out of town.

For the first time tonight we did a totally contactless check-in at a Hilton property.

For what it's worth, most AirBnb rentals have contact free check-in's too. The door is usually unlocked when we arrive, and the key is typically set on the dining room table. Most of the time we check-in, enjoy our stay, and check-out without ever meeting the property owners.

I've never been a big fan of hotels. I only stay in them if we're staying a single night on the way to somewhere else. If we'll be in one place for a couple days (or even a single night in some cases) we opt for the AirBnb rental. I enjoy finding unique rentals in unique locations. There's usually more room, more privacy, and things to do on-site.

As of now, you don't know that you can't infect someone else. The 95% vaccine effectiveness means there's a 1 in 20 chance of you getting infected if you are exposed, but even if you are not infected, it's possible that you could still be a carrier and super-spreader ("Typhoid Mary") and not even know it. So for those who've been vaccinated, the masks are mainly to protect everyone else from you.

The science on this looks promising, and eventually we will probably find out that only a small percentage of vaccinated people can still spread the disease, but we're not there yet. So if you really want to go maskless right now, you might need to choose travel destinations where that's acceptable.

Emotionally, there remains a bit of fear.

Not seeing fear here, rather, speed, and caution. Getting into a room faster and with less interactions can always be a good thing. It's an option, don't like it don't use it, move on.

Our 30 year anniversary is coming up, so I booked 3 nights at South Padre Island. I look forward to sunrise and sunset long walks on the beach, which is my favorite beach activity. And April is a great month for birding on the island, plus all the spring breakers and Easter vacationers will be gone. And it hasn’t gotten too hot yet.

I’ll be a little past 2 weeks from my first vaccine dose, so I’ll already have most of the protection, but we’ll still be avoiding other people, not dining indoors around others, and doing outdoors activities.

I scheduled my two shots for the 9th and 30th of April and received my QR scan codes for both appointments. I also booked flights to Florida for the 23rd of May. Hopefully masks will be off by then. We paid just $1189 for two return first/business class tickets from LAX to FLL. It's normally that price for one ticket.

Masks are off in FL right now, aren't they?

Or there are no mandates being inforced by the state or city govts. at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom