Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I plan on being more careful over the next few months both at home and traveling. I feel like putting a Protected by N95 bumper sticker on my car, right next the the Protected by Smith and Wesson sticker. While I feel like I am no longer helpless in regard to this virus, I also I feel as though we are being sucked into another trap by this virus. Once bitten....
+1

I keep hearing hints of a new Covid variant or two that are expected to hit the country like a ton of bricks later this coming summer. Fauci said something very vague in passing that alerted me, and then I noticed other officials saying other non-specific things that make me wonder. It's like maybe they know something but don't want us to panic? Who knows but I'm being careful too, not traveling or even leaving the house very much. We don't eat lunch at restaurants every day any more; only about once a week. The other days we get "to go" meals from these restaurants, which seems to give us less exposure to so many people.

And yet, Frank didn't even get Covid from ME last year when I was so sick. Covid doesn't seem to behave like most viruses and I expect there are some major surprises ahead in a few years when there has been sufficient time to do more research and learn more. But whatever, I still don't want to catch it again.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I caught covid on a 6 day cruise in January (my wife eventually caught it from me after the cruise.)

We were scheduled to take the Carnival Spirit Panama canal cruise that just finished. But after being quarantined for just 2 days on the shorter cruise, we decided not to risk the 16 day cruise and cancelled it.

Sort of glad we did given how that cruise turned out.

Do not get upset with carnival about people getting infected. But you can be upset by their response if you like.

I think covid spread in public places is pretty much just a matter of the amount of time in indoor places. Bringing a group of people together for an extended period of time is going to cause spread. The question is how long before it gets noticed. The longer the cruise, the more cases I assume. It is why there is so little blamed on the airlines. I assume it spreads there, but symptoms do not show up till days later and by then the passengers are spread out. So the airlines do not get blamed.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Currently the BA.4 and BA.5 variants appear to infect folks who think they are protected, more by just prior infection, but also vaccinated folks. Again it is not killing people but feels pretty bad. It's in S. Africa and of course you can bet it's being flown over the world as people travel.

I'll probably keep my mask on in public for longer as infections are going up here.
When we cruised last Summer to Alaska, we stayed masked, but lots of others on the ship didn't.
We had a balcony, so if we got sick at least we would have an outside sitting area. I can't imagine being stuck inside an interior room for days on end.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
After reading that story are you planning on having extra water and extra snack type foods in your room..
Yes on whole fruit (apples, oranges, bananas, bowl berries), pastry, and ordering 4-5 yogurts for breakfast 1st sea day. Stocking up the fridge. No on water as I drink ships water. This ship will have a kettle so I will have my favorite tea.

I religiously mask onboard but if I test positive will not leave room until I'm negative and want to do more than sleep. DS, GS3, & GD1 stayed asymptomatic but spent 2 days sleeping

If forced to the quarantine deck will retest after 5 days anyway but I've read how food delivery is abysmal there .... hope for best / plan for worst
Old 05-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Currently the BA.4 and BA.5 variants appear to infect folks who think they are protected, more by just prior infection, but also vaccinated folks. Again it is not killing people but feels pretty bad. It's in S. Africa and of course you can bet it's being flown over the world as people travel.
It has already been detected here in the U.S. The the same is true with BA.2 infecting those who were infected with BA.1, and that's the one that is spreading in the U.S. more quickly now.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:03 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Friends of ours took a 2 week trans-atlantic cruise that stopped in various ports along the Mediterranean. They were to fly back from Italy, this weekend, but the last day on the ship the wife began having cold symptoms. The next day, the day before their flight back to the U.S., they both tested positive. Now they are in quarantine in Italy for a week. Both are vaxxed + boostered. He is asymptomatic, she has some immuno issues but has mild symptoms (slight fever + cough). Their kids and grandkids had a big Mothers Day planned for their arrival, unfortunately it had to be Zoom event. They understand being quarantine but hoped the quarantine conditions would be better than they are experiencing. This might add between $2000-$3000 USD to their trip expense (I do not know if they bought trip insurance, and if so, what would be covered).

DW and I had been thinking once again about looking at our first ever cruise... But it seems every time we do, something happens to friends who ventured out on one.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:06 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

We are considering a trip soon to Las Vegas to scout out the area (thinking of moving there). It is a 2 day drive each way or we could just fly. Normally, we prefer driving trips. I went on several 5 hour away trips for surgery/medical stuff over the last 9 months. We drove for all of those. But, the LV trip is longer and we have a lot to do.

So, I was thinking of flying (I hate flying). We quit masking (except as required usually at medical facilities) once we had our second booster shot at the start of April. If we fly, I think we will make for the pre-boarding, on the phone and until out of the airport. Yes, yes, I know the filtration system will be fine. But, my understanding is that won't help you from the droplets of other people around you. Like GCGang's cousin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
People are tired of Covid.

My cousin, who has been a staunch mask supporter, had a trip to Hilton Head planned. A week before his wife tested positive. A few days later, he tested positive. They went, but he assured me they didn’t have severe symptoms and wore their masks on the plane.

I felt like screaming at him, ITS NOT ABOUT YOU, it’s about all the people around you. Sigh.
Oh, my. I really am naive. It is just unfathomable that someone would know they had a contagious disease that could kill people and would still go on the trip....

Anyway, still haven't decided what we would do. We have a lot going on getting ready to sell our house and don't need either of us to come down with Covid. We would probably be OK. We are both vaxxed and twice boosted. Other than age, we don't have any conditions that greatly increase our risks. Still with all we are doing I wouldn't want to delay that Covid could cause. But, then the drive would add time to our trip.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:29 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Yes on whole fruit (apples, oranges, bananas, bowl berries), pastry, and ordering 4-5 yogurts for breakfast 1st sea day. Stocking up the fridge. No on water as I drink ships water. This ship will have a kettle so I will have my favorite tea.

I religiously mask onboard but if I test positive will not leave room until I'm negative and want to do more than sleep. DS, GS3, & GD1 stayed asymptomatic but spent 2 days sleeping

If forced to the quarantine deck will retest after 5 days anyway but I've read how food delivery is abysmal there .... hope for best / plan for worst
What is the quarantine deck like ? Do they have balconies or are they inside rooms ?
Old 05-09-2022, 05:05 AM   #49

Quote:
What is the quarantine deck like ? Do they have balconies or are they inside rooms ?
All balcony rooms. They make sure no one can leave by taking away their medallion (needed to reenter room) and surveillance the hallway. Also close hallway off with heavy doors. But you can (supposedly) go on your own balcony

Seriously thinking of booking a 7 day to Alaska on June 26th. Hope current wave is over by then
Old 05-09-2022, 09:01 PM   #50

Quote:
All balcony rooms. They make sure no one can leave by taking away their medallion (needed to reenter room) and surveillance the hallway. Also close hallway off with heavy doors. But you can (supposedly) go on your own balcony

Seriously thinking of booking a 7 day to Alaska on June 26th. Hope current wave is over by then
Booked. Will stock fridge day 1. Really like scenic cruising on my balcony with a glass of wine, fruit / cheese / nuts plate
20210819_112320.jpg
Old 05-09-2022, 10:23 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently in Maui. No masks anywhere. Feels like I'm in a pre-2020 time warp.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:04 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We looked it up, and Wow they certainly were overwhelmed with 100->200 cases on the ship.
Other people report the same as you about not getting food, and the phone system not working.

How did they stop your Wife from going out to the buffet to get food ?
Realistically they likely couldn’t have stopped either of us. We were being cooperative.

Laurie was also considered to be in quarantine because of her direct and prolonged contact with a person who tested positive for CCVID-19. As a person can be contagious for over a day before a rapid test becomes positive, this was a reasonable and positive move.

I’ve been chided on the cruise message boards for ‘turning myself in.’ It seems quite a few people believed that they should simply go about their cruise activities and do nothing regarding COVID symptoms. The attitude appears to be one of “I paid for this cruise and I am going to enjoy it.” There is no sense of social responsibility regarding exposing others to this illness! I honestly do not understand that reasoning. I suppose I was raised in some sort of un-American way.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:06 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We went last year end of July, and it was pretty chilly when outside cruising along, bring warm clothes.
Our Carnival ship didn't go far enough up the Tracy Arm to see the glacier meet the water, which is not like the advertisements, so all the people that didn't pay for an excursion on small boats only saw it from very far away.
Did see lots of icebergs.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:08 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Friends of ours took a 2 week trans-atlantic cruise that stopped in various ports along the Mediterranean. They were to fly back from Italy, this weekend, but the last day on the ship the wife began having cold symptoms. The next day, the day before their flight back to the U.S., they both tested positive. Now they are in quarantine in Italy for a week. Both are vaxxed + boostered. He is asymptomatic, she has some immuno issues but has mild symptoms (slight fever + cough). Their kids and grandkids had a big Mothers Day planned for their arrival, unfortunately it had to be Zoom event. They understand being quarantine but hoped the quarantine conditions would be better than they are experiencing. This might add between $2000-$3000 USD to their trip expense (I do not know if they bought trip insurance, and if so, what would be covered).

DW and I had been thinking once again about looking at our first ever cruise... But it seems every time we do, something happens to friends who ventured out on one.

Our poor friends. The good news their mild symptoms went away after a few days. The bad news... they are still stuck in Italy. They retested last weekend, she was negative, but he was positive. Retested Monday, both positive. They rested again tomorrow.

At least they have been moved from essentially a hotel prison to a "protected" place near the sea where they are allowed to get out and walk along the shore. They do have trip insurance so some of their expenses they should be able to get back.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:07 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I’ve been chided on the cruise message boards for ‘turning myself in.’ It seems quite a few people believed that they should simply go about their cruise activities and do nothing regarding COVID symptoms. The attitude appears to be one of “I paid for this cruise and I am going to enjoy it.” There is no sense of social responsibility regarding exposing others to this illness! I honestly do not understand that reasoning. I suppose I was raised in some sort of un-American way.
This kind of attitude by so many people seems to be the same whether they are on a cruise or not. No wonder the problem continues. It appears that your life and health are not important if it interferes with any kind of moral responsibility by them. No one else matters.

Cheers!
Old 05-18-2022, 10:20 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

We are not interested in cruises at the moment. Perhaps next year.

We leave in a few days for a month in Portugal.

We shopping Sept/Oct air to Greece. We will not buy until mid August or make any non cancellable reservation. Watching the covid issue.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:41 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

We don't go on cruises, but did wear masks in airports and planes when we last flew a year ago. Only been on road trips since, and we have never tested ourselves. And haven't worn masks in quite some time. Now only wear masks where required.

Last time for required masks was in the Durango and Silverton train depot waiting area, but no mask required while on board the train.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:46 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We have not even considered a cruise yet. No desire to be stuck in our cabin if one of us tests positive mid cruise.

Our first post covid trip is in three weeks. A month of independent travel in Portugal.

It was either Greece or Portugal. Portugal has better covid stats and approach so we selected Portugal. Perhaps Greece in the fall.

One thing we are noticing....air fares to Europe at the moment are very inexpensive. Similar to what we paid pre covid.
Car rentals are very expensive this summer.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #59

Just back from 2 weeks in Portugal, wonderful time, most people are not weraring masks on the street but are required on air, bus, rail & taxis. Had to test to get back to the US and thats a pain as if positive then its 7 days in a hotel room. And one doesn't know until a day before so no planning. I was nervous as there was a cold going around our (Road Scholar ) group including my wife. Everyone had to test coming to Portugal and again to return to the US, of the 8 that tested only one was positive, she had met up with some US friends separately, she ened up staying for 8 days until she didn't test positive. I am weary of the one day testing requirement to return to the US, especically when we are vaxed with 2 boosters and can travel in the US and Mexico & Canada. Many countries like Denmark have reduced masking and testing but they do have very high national vax rates.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Just back from 2 weeks in Portugal, wonderful time, most people are not wearing masks on the street but are required on air, bus, rail & taxis. Had to test to get back to the US and that's a pain as if positive then its 7 days in a hotel room. And one doesn't know until a day before so no planning.

<snip>
I am weary of the one day testing requirement to return to the US, especially when we are vaxed with 2 boosters and can travel in the US and Mexico & Canada. Many countries like Denmark have reduced masking and testing but they do have very high national vax rates.
Yeah, I knw- that was hanging over my head the whole time on my otherwise enjoyable trip to Germany and Malta. I had 2 test kits so 2 days before I did a practice run, and had to overcome a few tech hurdles. It was negative so I felt a little better. The "Real" test the next day went smoothly and was also negative. Huge sigh of relief even though I had insurance that would have covered up to $2,500 in quarantine costs. I wish they'd get rid of that for those of us fully-vaccinated.
Closed Thread