Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 10:27 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatrub View Post
My personal advice: Don't expect masks to do anything for you, and certainly don't let them lull you into a false sense of security in doing things you otherwise wouldnt.

As for covid, its heading out in the Northeast.
What kind of mask are you talking about?

If you mean the cloth ones or the so called 'surgical' masks, or those that leave gaps around the nose and other areas, I would agree. If it is a snug fitting N95, they do offer a lot more protection, though one still has to be careful.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2022, 01:37 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My personal advice: Don't expect masks to do anything for you, and certainly don't let them lull you into a false sense of security in doing things you otherwise wouldnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

If you mean the cloth ones or the so called 'surgical' masks, or those that leave gaps around the nose and other areas, I would agree. If it is a snug fitting N95, they do offer a lot more protection, though one still has to be careful.
Yeah one-way masking with N95 or KN95 is better than nothing.

But it's summer so it's unpleasant to wear outdoors.

OTOH, it should be easier to avoid indoor dining.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:00 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Any mask. Unless you're fit tested and trained, even K95s are doing very little for a respiratory virus. Cochrane demonstrated that.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Dream on - it may be fluctuating, but it is not on its way out, I assure you! IT will be back
Old 06-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #85

MOD NOTE:

For the 873rd time, please, please, please let's not argue about masks.

Thank you.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:07 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

vaccine question

i had COVID around 11/10/20 (pre vaccine)

I had the first two pfizer vaccines in spring 2021 (which was probably overkill with the natural immunity I then had).

I had vaccine #3 last fall I think...

Now curious about whether I should be getting another vaccine for what I am reading are two active new variants (our local COVID numbers are up about 200% from early spring).

I shoulda asked my pcp when i went in for my annual, but forgot to. Anyone have wisdom on this (or opinion)? I am all for anything that will make surviving COVID more possible and believe in the vaccine in this regard.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:08 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Moderna has announced an updated version of their vaccine that supposedly works better against Omicron. Perhaps, if approved, that will be a shot in the arm for those who wish to travel. (Pun intended)

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...gainst-omicron
Quote:
Moderna’s preliminary study results show people given the combination shot experienced a higher boost in omicron-fighting antibodies than if they just got a fourth dose of the original vaccine.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:49 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Dream on - it may be fluctuating, but it is not on its way out, I assure you! IT will be back
You misunderstand. Im referring to this spring seasonal bump. Obviously covid is here to stay as it ends up as the other 4 human coronaviruses in circulation.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

an acquaintance just returned from a trip, where they were summoned mid flight. An emergency RN, she had to take care of someone in respiratory distress, and had to apply oxygen. Yes, symptoms of probable COVID.

Just like the prior examples in the thread, the sick individual boarded the plan only to find out what happens when someone with compromised oxygenation encounters the lower pressurization of a cabin.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:20 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^^^^^^^

I've mentioned elsewhere that I have friends ( a couple from Africa) who were traveling on a flight when the wife's heart stopped. Fortunately, her husband is a doctor. He kept her alive for 2 hours with CPR - don't know if they had access to a defib machine at that time.

It was theorized that the lack of movement on the aircraft lead to a blood clot which traveled to her heart. She is okay now, on blood thinners and other meds. When she comes to the USA now, we pay for her to fly in business class (heh, heh, hubby has to ride in cattle car like we do when we fly.)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Youngest daughter's friend just returned from a trip to Spain and now has Covid. This same daughter has a friend in Italy right now and my daughter said when he returns she is going to wait at least a week before they get together in case he gets Covid too from traveling.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:23 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

I know 5 different couples who took trips to Europe this summer, 3 went to Spain/Portugal, 1 to Greece and 1 to England. 4 of the couples returned from their trips with Covid. All were vaccinated, no one was seriously sick. I think the odds are pretty good you are going to get Covid if you travel abroad right now.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I are spending a couple of weeks on Vacation but will be more local and we are driving...heading to Michigan from Ohio. I am not so worried about Covid on this trip

However after I get back its a W**K trip to Dallas that I am not looking forward to. Just a couple of days but haven't w**k traveled in a couple of years and I find that I don't miss it. This trip... I am not worried about Covid but I do feel it raises the risk.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:13 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

I think the reality is if a person spends significant time in a crowded place with a bunch of unknown people, then Covid has a good chance of infecting a person. Tourists are in airports, planes, buses, trains, restaurants, etc. This is far more contact with potential virus shedding people. And this virus loves to infect us.

FWIW, South Korea just approved a new type of Covid vaccine. One huge advantage is that it only requires normal refrigeration. How well it works with Omicron is not yet clear.

Quote:
According to UW Medicine, SKYCovione is made of proteins that form tiny particles studded with fragments of the coronavirus.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:07 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think the reality is if a person spends significant time in a crowded place with a bunch of unknown people, then Covid has a good chance of infecting a person. Tourists are in airports, planes, buses, trains, restaurants, etc. This is far more contact with potential virus shedding people. And this virus loves to infect us.
It's a crapshoot. DS and DDIL are vaccinated (maybe not boosted), the kids (8,5 and 3) are home-schooled and they mostly go to church, where they've taken appropriate precautions from the beginning (after having on-line services only for a long time). Her father was being treated for colon cancer (he lost the battle in January) and her SIL's father, who lives with her DB and DSIL, was elderly and frail so they were careful not to put them at risk. DS has been working from home for over 2 years. COVID- mild, thank God- has hit DS, DDIL and the kids twice, last November and in early June.

In the last 2 years I've been on an Alaskan cruise in 8/21 (cut short when one passenger tested positive), a 5-day trip to Ohio last October by plane to go to a class reunion, Europe last month where I had to take a total of 17 trips with Bolt/Uber drivers and was once stuck in a crowded, unventilated bus for 20 minutes from a plane to the airport terminal. I went to a classroom weekend for an on-line class in November and an attendee (vaccinated) later tested positive. I attend church weekly (mine also closed and later required masking) and BF and I eat at a couple of restaurants we like weekly.

I'm vaccinated and double-boosted. To my knowledge (and I test when there's a possibility I was exposed) I have not yet had it. Neither has BF.

Go figure.
Closed Thread