Twice boosted, Covid positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to say it, but after reading this thread I now know why the US has such a problem with getting people either vaccinated or not believing what they're told. Just like on Facebook, everyone here has a different opinion on something they know very little about!

I'm not sure what you mean but even the experts don't agree on this subject. Covid and all its variables have done a lot of damage, rightly so, to the Do as I say mantra. Now we'll see if that mindset spills over into other areas. WADR you don't how much each of us know or have researched so your comment is pretty broad brush.

Sorry to say it, but after reading this thread I now know why the US has such a problem with getting people either vaccinated or not believing what they're told. Just like on Facebook, everyone here has a different opinion on something they know very little about!
+1 After retiring from academia as a professor of Anatomy/Physiology and working in industry as a Microbiologist I came to this same conclusion a few decades ago. Unless someone has working knowledge of Covid and is educated in virology or a closely related field then I am not interested in their opinions. And just because someone is a medical doctor doesn't mean they have the background to speak with authority on this disease anymore than a proctologist is well versed in conducting brain surgery.

Cheers!

+1 After retiring from academia as a professor of Anatomy/Physiology and working in industry as a Microbiologist I came to this same conclusion a few decades ago. Unless someone has working knowledge of Covid and is educated in virology or a closely related field then I am not interested in their opinions. And just because someone is a medical doctor doesn't mean they have the background to speak with authority on this disease anymore than a proctologist is well versed in conducting brain surgery.

Cheers!

My SIL was a nurse 20 years ago. Amazingly she maintains a high level of medical expertise through her updates from the Facebook School of Medicine.

She is a danger to anyone who follows her advice or takes her opinion as the final word. Much like most other posters whose knowledge level on covid is zero.

My SIL was a nurse 20 years ago. Amazingly she maintains a high level of medical expertise through her updates from the Facebook School of Medicine.

She is a danger to anyone who follows her advice or takes her opinion as the final word. Much like most other posters whose knowledge level on covid is zero.

Lots of folks just liker her. I have relatives living in a small town in north Florida. This town has a local pharmacist that has been telling anyone who listens how unproven the science is behind the covid vaccines and he does not recommend getting the vaccine. He has become the single source of expertise for the community.

Cheers!

And yet, so often the medical advice on questions like "should I get the second booster now or wait", is to talk to your family doctor.

I love my doctor, but I'm sure they're so busy just treading water with all their patients, it's impossible for them to keep up with all this. And as you point out, they're not virologists.

Basically, I don't think any one person or group has a good handle on corona virus, Covid, and how the large majority of us can effectively deal with it today and in the future as we go about our lives. This is made worse by the inclination of many in positions of power and influence to limit information provided to the public so we don't "get confused". Don't get me started on politicians who use the phrase "according to the science".

But, there some things we can sure of as far as is humanly possible. And we shouldn't let the flaws in the system make us doubt everything.

Well LOL that's the problem because everyone thinks the other guy knows nothing.. ie "other posters". I am not a Covid expert and read a wide variety of information trying to figure out what will work for my family.

Lots of folks just liker her. I have relatives living in a small town in north Florida. This town has a local pharmacist that has been telling anyone who listens how unproven the science is behind the covid vaccines and he does not recommend getting the vaccine. He has become the single source of expertise for the community.

This would be third hand info so process it as that. I sincerely doubt that the entire community hangs on his every word.

As to the nurse on FB how does anyone know what else she reads,to say she gets all info off FB could be true or untrue.

Is the population of the town dropping precipitously, by any chance?

Really difficult with children in the household.

DB’s family in Europe. All had Delta in early Dec - probably the youngest bringing it home. Adults were vaccinated.

3 months later, like clockwork, youngest catches Covid again - most likely BA.2.He was tested because a playmate came down with Covid. Later mom and another sibling test positive and have some symptoms.

They can still all get together for the youngest’s birthday. Because hey, this time grandparents also have Covid, brought home by a different grandchild whom they raise.

I am so disappointed. DH and I were slated to watch the toddler grandson from today until Wednesday, but I tested positive this morning. I’ve had two doses and one booster with Moderna.

I was working a four-day guided bike trip from Monday thru Thursday. On Friday morning the boss informed me that one of the guests tested positive Thursday night (her husband tested negative). I tested negative Friday afternoon so continued my routine, with the additional precaution of wearing a mask when inside and on the shuttle bus.

I tested this morning before leaving the vacation home to meet DH at the main home and driving to take care of the grandson. I’m a so very glad that I tested before exposing DH our our grandson.

I did a telemedicine visit with my primary physician. We decided against Plaxovid at this time but it’s available if I want it in a day or two. I ordered groceries to be delivered soon and I’ll do my isolation here. So far I have a cough, slight fever, and I’m very tired.

I am so disappointed. DH and I were slated to watch the toddler grandson from today until Wednesday, but I tested positive this morning. I’ve had two doses and one booster with Moderna.

I was working a four-day guided bike trip from Monday thru Thursday. On Friday morning the boss informed me that one of the guests tested positive Thursday night (her husband tested negative). I tested negative Friday afternoon so continued my routine, with the additional precaution of wearing a mask when inside and on the shuttle bus.

I tested this morning before leaving the vacation home to meet DH at the main home and driving to take care of the grandson. I’m a so very glad that I tested before exposing DH our our grandson.

I did a telemedicine visit with my primary physician. We decided against Plaxovid at this time but it’s available if I want it in a day or two. I ordered groceries to be delivered soon and I’ll do my isolation here. So far I have a cough, slight fever, and I’m very tired.

Hope you get better soon.

Oh, dear. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. In early April of this year I tested positive (home test), but then negative the next two days (also home tests). Symptoms were headache, cough, overall weakness, and sore throat, but no fever. I recovered in three days. I am not sure how to interpret this result.

-BB

I can relate. Two shots one booster, masked in big groups. After two years, DW and I test positive with PCR tests. She is a bit more worse off than me. She has a bad cold, no fever, tired. I feel like I just rode my bike 40 miles, sucking down pollen. I can't clear my throat. No fever, or any other symptoms. After 5 days quarantine, I'm stir crazy. I go out and ride 30 miles. Heart rate average slightly higher than normal by 7-8, and my mph is off by 1 mph for the ride. Three more rides and I am back to normal. One week after initial positive test, I took another PCR test, which shows I am still positive. Two weeks later I test again on a Wednesday. For some reason they lost my sample, so I tested the next day, Thursday. On Thursday pm, they found my Wednesday sample, and I find I am Negative! Then my Thursday sample comes in, and I am once again positive. I have no idea what that means. Currently, I am fine, back to my full cycling schedule preparing for BRAG (Bike Ride Across Georgia) DW still has post nasal drip, but that is all. I guess we were fortunate.

I guess we were fortunate.

Hopefully so, and good luck. You never can be sure with the incidence of Long COVID being so high.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/02/health/long-covid-asympomatic-cases/index.html

"Estimates of long Covid's incidence range from about 30% to more than half of people who have recovered from acute Covid-19 infection."

"almost a third of people who had mild symptoms when they were originally diagnosed may still have symptoms months later,"

"Anywhere from 10% to 30% of patients can experience symptoms of Covid after apparently recovering, even if they weren't sick in the first place,"

"Even people who did not have COVID-19 symptoms in the days or weeks after they were infected can have post-COVID conditions," according to the CDC.'

Last edited:

You might want to think about the Plaxovid as there seems to be some indication that it might be useful at preventing long COVID. I am finishing the course today and besides the metallic taste, I have had no side effects. Also, it's not indicated for use after about 5 days of symptoms. Before starting it, I had a fever, extreme fatigue, and stuffiness. Within 2 days of starting it, I was feeling almost 100% normal with the exception of a runny nose. I am happy that it was available.

Where is the information that Paxlovid is useful for preventing long Covid? I have never heard anything about that and I read a lot about long Covid.

I have now seen two mentions in this forum, but absolutely nothing anywhere else.

Last edited:
I've seen several articles on Paxlovid for treating LC symptoms, but not preventing. Here is one:

Evidence mounts for need to study Pfizer's Paxlovid for long COVID - researchers say

CHICAGO, May 5 (Reuters) - Additional reports of patients with long COVID who were helped by Pfizer Inc's (PFE.N) oral antiviral treatment Paxlovid offer fresh impetus for conducting clinical trials to test the medicine for the debilitating condition, U.S. researchers said on Thursday.

Three new case studies follow earlier reports of long COVID patients who experienced relief of their symptoms after taking the treatment, which is currently only authorized for high-risk people early after onset of COVID symptoms.

Last edited:
Those are both discussing research into Paxlovid as a treatment for long Covid symptoms, not for preventing long Covid.

Nobody has indicated that it prevents long Covid.

I stand corrected. However, if the medicine stops the replication in its tracks at the outset, then perhaps there will be no long haul to contend with and no clinical trials required. Is that better?

Nobody knows at this point. Long Covid can still occur with super mild symptoms, and Paxlovid doesn’t always stop Covid replication. Rebound in vaccinated folks appears to be quite common. Unfortunately Paxlovid was only tested in unvaccinated individuals and thus how it works with vaccinated folks hasn’t been well tested. There appear to be significant differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom